• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spritcha on Training

Spritcha,

- From 180/100/180 to 200x3/120x3/200x3, how was the training intensity? How often would you work up > 85%? I notice during this period the volume is pretty high
- In your early days, how did you control intensity? Would you precalculate weights or would you just hit the gym and load the bar up?
- What about progression, would you up the weight of the top set if you felt like you could do it or otherwise?

Last edited:
Awesome numbers...daunting dedication...I can imagine your food bill is pretty high too!!

Inspiring stuff.

- How long did your workouts usually take?
- In retrospect, would you do anything differently? If so, what and how?

Sorry about all the questions, not often do you get the opportunity to pick the brains of a pro.

Keep the training insights coming SP
icon14.gif

Thanks, much appreciated.

Last question (I swear :p). I notice you bench 3x/week, have you ever had any shoulder issues/problems? Any training tips to eliminate/minimise shoulder injury/stress?

Westside, on my understanding, is a pretty good approach- especially if you like to mix things up.
However, in my opinion, the further away from the the competition lifts you move the less the training will transfer into bigger competition lifts. So, for example, doing Max Effort goodmornings may increase your strength in general terms- but will not produce optimal strength development.
I also think when I have heard Westside people talking science the system sounds great, but frequently in practice the decisions about loading, rep ranges etc are kind of ad hoc and not thought out. I think often there is a confusion between demonstrations or tests of strength and building strength. They latch onto the idea that strength is best developed with loading over 75%- but what seems lost is that just as loading is a form of specificity- so is the movement- and volume (or the amount of movements) is easily as important as the amount moved- or rather the other part of the puzzle. The Russians have worked out templates based on their ideas about how to pack in the most amount of movements in the appropriate loading ranges and not overtrain. Westsiders have another way of tackling the management of fatigue- but without precise programming I think it tends to be hit and miss.
Again- I am no expert- so thats just my opinion. Some athletes are better suited to high intensity as opposed to high volume- and they don't need the specificity as much- I guess westside would work great for them.

Ideally people on the conjugate method should base their set and rep ranges on prilepin's chart but at a higher percentile, as this is what Louie and his guys go off or at least say they do.

What's quite interesting is that when using sheiko templates, you will find that when using http://ambesc.com/lifting/prelipins.pdf the formula in that file that sheiko workouts seem to be fairly closely based on the chart, but with a slight tendency to be a bit more brutal.

Pritchard, What have you changed in relation to your Deadlift Grip & training, etc (other than the double overhand) since the Bi injury & what would you suggest to avoid it?

Last edited: