• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
As some of you may be aware - I have not been training much, motivation is down - but also on the other hand I have just purchased my 1st home and will be moving in (all things going well) on the 16th on this month.

It is a beautiful old country style home BUT it also has a fantastic garage and I am looking at putting in my own set-up - due to a couple of reasons, ease of training, and to save money - long term this will save me alot of cash money and considering I have just purchased my 1st house that is my main focus...

Looking at starting with around a $1200 budget - this is what I have been thinking -

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/st...ower-racks-and-cages/power-rack-with-dip-bar/

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/we...ght-sets/115kg-cast-iron-olympic-barbell-set/

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/we...ell-sets/50kg-rubber-adjustable-dumbbell-set/

https://www.gymandfitness.com.au/force-usa-folding-fid-bench-for-home-use.html

Floor mats from Kmart -

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/jackeroo-4-pack-eva-foam-floor-mats/126763

I think I have most bases covered to get a simple set up going....

With the AUSBB discount with gym direct comes to $1,188 (shipped) + the $99 bench from gym and fitness + floor mats (which I am not really counting in the budget) - A gym membership roughly per year will be $700 (at least) + petrol driving etc...

One thing I'd do if I was doing a home gym again would be buy some oly dumbells. You run out of weight pretty quick for exercises like 1 arm DB row. Put the leftover cash toward a couple of plates.

What you might be experiencing Rugby is simply a change or priorities in life. Don't worry, give it time and you will accommodate training again. If you need to take 6 months off or just train haphazardly don't feel too guilty about it. Enjoy it. Settle into new routines with the other half, have people over to the new house etc. You don't want to end up hating training. Try to avoid a year long blow out through :D

Training ast home is the best. It actually aids motivation coz you train anytime and don't have to drive anywhere. I have access to home and a free fully equipped gym so I use both. :)

One thing I'd do if I was doing a home gym again would be buy some oly dumbells. You run out of weight pretty quick for exercises like 1 arm DB row. Put the leftover cash toward a couple of plates.
I would advised against the oly db. sounds cool being able to chuck say 2x 10kg plates each side etc but the actualy physical size of the db become unusable for ROM etc. I would buy and will in the future long handled standard dbs and a bunch of 5kg plates

Cheers for all the advice guys - I was always more pro going to a gym for extra motivation but the tide is turning and I feel having everything at home would be the best bet + long term its cheaper and I can add what I want/need and not being paying for things I don't use.

Equipment wise - I know it may be hard to say but any experience on the quality of the items I have listed....?

I think the 50kg adjustable db's will be good for now and as I increase the budget/look out for bargins i'll get a full db set but to be honest I don't use db's a hell of alot so I am not to worried.

Will def be getting acouple of extra 20's.

I like that the rack comes with dip bars.

Will prob add a boxing bag, build some box jumps etc...

I think above though gives you the ability to train you whole body in a number of ways though...

Last edited:
I would advised against the oly db. sounds cool being able to chuck say 2x 10kg plates each side etc but the actualy physical size of the db become unusable for ROM etc.

Nope. ;) 10s are fine. You can't fit many on standard DBs.

Get one of these. Adds a few options for your sessions with a bar.
7f01e505df5a50b0e787ea4ef7eed1da.jpg

6ac33adde1847d603286c75e705d2813.jpg

And make a few plyo boxes with any scrap left over from the renos you (the mrs) plan.

686831b8fedd072e2260f81ee56ed37f.jpg

Get one of these. Adds a few options for your sessions with a bar.
7f01e505df5a50b0e787ea4ef7eed1da.jpg

6ac33adde1847d603286c75e705d2813.jpg

And make a few plyo boxes with any scrap left over from the renos you (the mrs) plan.

686831b8fedd072e2260f81ee56ed37f.jpg

Yep will have a look for one of those beauties - very handy!

Thinking of getting one of these bad boys aswell -

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mala...ar-7ft-heavy-duty-new-colour-black/1064120886

P.S totally blown the budget - upto about $1600 haha
Got one of those at my new gym, haven't really played around with it but I want to try some neutral benching with it. Should go alright but I wouldn't think it's a necessity in your first purchases...Also, it's a bit far from you isn't it? It's just down the road from a few of us WA folk

I was one of "those guys" who always had to train at a gym. But now its all home gym for me. Love it.
But as you mentioned your motivation is down and you haven't been training much. "Dude" you just purchased your first house!! This can have a flow on effect, what with all the documents you have to sign, meeting bank managers, sign this, sign that, stress, uncertainty ...of course your motivation can be screwed up.
Once your all settled and moved in things will become more routine.

Congrats on your purchase. Home is where the heart is.....and when the training begins!
Cheers,
BVG