• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength and Endurance Routine

Gunner

Some of you might know that I am in the Army Reserve. I am currently waiting for a transfer to the Full-time regular Army.

This has led me to think about changing the direction that my training should take. I now want to increase my strength and endurance rather than doing a power lifting/body building routine I have been doing up till now.

To start off, I have started doing the daily fitness solution blog: The Daily Fitness Solution Blog

Today I started researching some strength & endurance routines and I came across this website: MMA Strength

Being new to these type of routines, can anyone who has done this type of training before add anymore advice to what is discussed in the above article.

Cheers

Dude start smashing kettlebells.

They can smash every single part of your body in every single way.

First, define what your actual goal is. Are you trying to pass the entrance test - if so what does that involve? Or are you trying to be ready for the work you'll undertake, if so what does that involve? Get where I'm heading with this?

And where are you now? What weights you pushing, how many bodyweight movements (pushups, pullups, situps) can you do? Whats your 1 mile or 2 mile time?

Once you know where you are now and where you're going, it's much simpler to join a line between the 2.

First, define what your actual goal is. Are you trying to pass the entrance test - if so what does that involve? Or are you trying to be ready for the work you'll undertake, if so what does that involve? Get where I'm heading with this?

And where are you now? What weights you pushing, how many bodyweight movements (pushups, pullups, situps) can you do? Whats your 1 mile or 2 mile time?

Once you know where you are now and where you're going, it's much simpler to join a line between the 2.

It's pretty clear what my goal is. To increase my strength endurance.

It's pretty clear what my goal is. To increase my strength endurance.

Are you doing 20rep squats?

Also high rep deads.

Then you have sled pulling and pushing. If no sled push a car along.

Keg work is good as well for clean and pressing.

Tyre flips.

Heavy farmers walk.

Really anything strongman will be very good for you.

have you tried lifting weights and then going for a run.

E.g - 10 reps on an exercise, obviously not to failure. Then run for 1 minute. 10 or so reps again,

so sort of crossfit because it turned gay

I'll probably get blasted for saying this but the best way to get strength endurance is Les Mills Body pump class.
The class is actually designed for Men and it will kick your arse if you lift a decent amount of weight, also the i reckon that doing high reps is so boring that the only way to make sure you get through the reps required is a class.

Ok just to clarify. I just want some advice on whether this article and more importantly the sample program at the end of it is what I should be looking at doing to achieve my new goals. It won't be the only type of training I do but will form the basus of the heavy lifting side of my training

Being vague with your goals will not get you anywhere. I apologise for trying to help.

Sorry mate. Wasnt meant to be vague. Have you served in the ADF before. It's kind if hard to describe what is expected of a soldier if you haven't.

Gunner, this type of workout might be of interest to you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvKob1IMsI&feature=youtube_gdata_player]3x3 type workout - YouTube[/ame]

Ive trained 2 guys (jack and rick) whom both applied for RAAF/Navy field engineers recently. Meaning they had to carry 20kg? weights on their backs over a 5km distance within time. Also had to do pushups/overhead presses and some other bodyweight movements a certain amount of times.

Both after 4 months came top of their grade for physicals respectively. (not sure of the mental side how they went lol.. jacks a bit strange sometimes.. anywayzz)

I had them doing standard Squat bench deadlift overhead press routines with 8-10 reps. 3 times a week.
On their off days he would go for a 5-10km run.

What i found out that was holding them back was their bodyweight when it came to the cardiovascular/endurance part of the trial.
Prior to applying i had bulked up jack to from 80 - 93kg as he was too lanky for his 6 foot height in under 10 weeks. I could see he needed to lose the bodyweight in order to make the cut. He dropped back to 83kgs with some diet adjustments and did pretty well.

He is moving to ipswich in QLD where he will be stationed after all that hard work coaching him .. lol :( jokes..

What i found out that was holding them back was their bodyweight when it came to the cardiovascular/endurance part of the trial.
Prior to applying i had bulked up jack to from 80 - 93kg as he was too lanky for his 6 foot height in under 10 weeks. I could see he needed to lose the bodyweight in order to make the cut. He dropped back to 83kgs with some diet adjustments and did pretty well.

He is moving to ipswich in QLD where he will be stationed after all that hard work coaching him .. lol :( jokes..

Would you have put him on the bulk plan if you knew he was going into the forces? Most of their stuff is bodyweight movements biassed.

Would you have put him on the bulk plan if you knew he was going into the forces? Most of their stuff is bodyweight movements biassed.

Nope. I found that it was best to just keep his bodyweight the same while getting him stronger enough to pass the lifting tests which i must say isnt that hard. Its the endurance part which i had to factor into his training and work out his recovery.
Coming top of his grade didnt earn him really any medals lol..

History -
He literally came in one day and said trent im joining the RAAF make it happen for me. I said fuck jack 4 months ago u said to make u stronger and bigger.
End of the day they are the client. :)
A Lean gain bulk while would be preffered method. Would have taken too long for him to make the cut-off date.

Gunner, this type of workout might be of interest to you.

3x3 type workout - YouTube

Thanks for sharing that Andy. Nice circuit. I'm already doing enough circuit work. I won't to sort out a program for more of the heavy lifting which will still help my endurance. This article I linked in the OP looked interesting. Doing heavy weights at low reps at high sets with little rest time between sets.

Thanks Trent for your input. Geez 20kg. RAAF get it easy. My last CFA I carried a third of my body weight for 15km. My role is in artillery. We pride ourselves on being strong and fit. We carry a lot of things including man handling guns.

Don't get me wrong, I am already fit. In my Basic Fitness Tests (BFA) I do 60-70 pushups, 100 situps and do the 2.4km run in around 11mins. I just want to work on endurance lifting type training supplemented by circuit training.

This is where my futures lies I believe. I thought this article made sense in this regards.