• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo Deads

Brick

Converting to sumo who has done it, what were you reasons for making the switch from conventional. When you switched were you pulling more weight sumo or conventional? How do you incorporate it into your training pull exclusively sumo? Hit me with your info/stories/advice.

Thanks in advance

I converted because my old trainer noted that I wasn't progressing in conventional. So tried Sumo and my numbers flew up.
I can pull 70ish kg's Conventional or 117kgs Sumo. :)
Chicks are built for Sumo dead.

About 12 months ago I tried sumo for a bit. Lifted 20kg over conventional pb first time a tried it. Stuck with it for a few months and added more weight. Decided to go back to conventional and after a few months got it up to equal of my sumo and now over it.

I'm sticking with conventional now, I like it more than sumo but i might still use sumo deads as an assistance exercise in the future.

My suggestion would be to just give it a go and see what happens.

Wide stance pulling is an excellent assistance exercise for both squats and close stance

Toes to plates, stiff leg with shoulders in front of the bar obliterates your hammies with the added bonus of having a high loading % compared with your typical squat/pull (or in my case higher than my squat)

More hamstring involment.

Conventional seems really awkward too even though my form is decent.

Good reason, it just feels kinder on the lower back to me. Gonna get some coaching off Freako to make sure my forms good before I start trying to do any heavy sumos, but playing around with light weights has been good finding it alot harder and slower breaking the floor.

you doing moderate or wide sumo?

Trying to find what works but most natural/comfortable setup so far I have found is wide stance, I am much weaker sumo in this style than I am moderate stance but that is probably just cause I am used to conventional pulling.

Gonna try pulling sumo for a cycle once I finish this lot of PPP probably do some conventional and sldl as assistance.

My Sumo used to be wide, now its just outside my grip on the bar. More semi-sumo......if there's such a thing.

I just went the other way, I started sumo and now will be switching to conventional...
In relation to the hammies etc, I thought Sumo's took a bigger toll on Groin especially...
Brick, If there's any advice that helped me with breaking the floor in sumo, it was trying to picture splitting the floor beneath you by pushing your legs out..

I pulled sumo for a little while when I was rehabbing my lower back after some disc issues. Worked out as a good alternative to squatting to get a bit more leg involvement while deadlifting.

I switched to semi-sumo recently.
Got a 10kg PB first time, I find it alot less strain on the lower back compared to conventional.

I've started rotating in a lot more sumo work simply because with my training style my lower back has been getting pretty beat up. Russian lifters nearly all pull sumo for this reason

I like sumo lifts because it forces me to grind the lift. I find grinding a deadlift to be absolutely horrible and training to get better at grinding becomes hard to recover from. However with the sumo lift it places you at such a biomechanically disadvantaged position at the start of the lift you need to really grind to even get the bar moving and I really like this

I would like to convert to sumo pulling fully but I am built almost perfectly for deadlifting so it seems like a big waste of time... I'll try sumo pulling for a few months then test my deadlift and see how much it increases I think. If I get good carry over from it then I'll train mostly sumo but from what I've read it doesn't carry over too much at all