• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
G'day all, not sure of that many that know of my backgorund but here is some info. I have been training off and on for 20 years. In this time i have used almost all available supplements. The supplement industry is now worth in excess of 7 billion US per year and is tipped to rise to 12 billion within 5 years. Out of all these companys that manufacture supplements or have them done for them buy another company there are many useless and worthless supplements that offer no benefit to the trainee at all except to deprive of some hard earend cash. Marketing takes precedent over performance. However there are supplements that do work, that do offer performance when training and some even have an anabolic effect on building lean muscle.

Last year on another forum i started a supplement review thread after recieving some samples from a few companys. Being lactose intolerant means not all protein powders will work for me depending on what is used. I also review all pre/during and post workout drinks, Amino Acid based drinks, RTD's, Bars and fat burners. I have probably had over $3000 free product during the year and have a thread with 22 pages, 8200 views and over 300 posts. I am duplicating this thread here now with the mods permission (thanks Shrek) to help anyone with supplements.

While i dont do recomendations as such or am i biased to any brand there are references to the brands thanking them for the support that i recieve for reviewing the supplements. Do not get this mixed up with me trying to flog there products. If i think a product is crap, then its crap. I have unbiased, honest and fair opinions of these products. I use a star system being 1-5, 5 being best and 0 worst. I also post up the nutritional info, investigate where the ingredients come from and a cost per serve.

This information is designed to help you with supplement decision making only. Please dont use my thread as a brand bash or criticise the products. Most of the brand owners/managers/distributors read my threads from here and oversea"s. Keep it clean. If you have a question feel free to ask. I will be copy and pasting all of my review's up to now and then all future replys. Enjoy the ride.

AZZA

Last edited:
Guys time for a new and helpfull topic called supplement review. I have been contacting all the suppliers and brands over the last week and have obtained quite a few samples of various supplements. Samples include Australian and American brands and include protein samples and pre-post workout drinks. As they are only samples i will review each one and tell you what i think based on my criteria.
For protein samples i will base my criteria on
1) Taste
2) Mixability
3) Digestion
4) Star rating out of 5. 5 for best and 1 or none for worst.

Pre-workout drinks.
1) Taste
2) Mixabilty.
3) Digestion
4) Noticeable pump
5) Vascularity
6) Strength improvement
7) Endurance or lactic acid improvement
cool.gif
Recovery

Note-I will be doing comparisions on ingredients, to compare the quality of the proteins eg, WPC ratio and WPI ratio's if possible. On workout drinks i will include if any caffeine is in the product as well.

Any other products sent out will be reviewed as well. eg fat burners, rtd's, bars and cereals.
No i am not a scientist or lab rat but understand what i have to, i have over 15 years training and supplement experience and have used everything from Dessicated Liver to Vanadyl Sulphate so you will get unbiased opinion's.
AZZA
modify_inline.gif

1st reviews are in. Today i did chest only as i wanted to review Labrada Super Charge Xtreme N.O. and ProV60 and here are my thoughts.
I will give a star rating for the criteria. one star the lowest and five star the highest.

Super Charge Xtreme N.O. Fruit Punch. 32 gram serve
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Pump 3 STARS
Vascular improvement 3 STARS
Increase in workout or intensity 3 STARS
General comments, after trying various workout drinks in the past this one actualy tasted good and mixed easily with no gritty sandy bits. I did not change this workout from my usual one. Had a chest pump and vascular improvement, had a few veins showing after workout. Will be good to compare with others in the reviews. This is the bench mark for the moment.
PROV60 Chocalate Cream. 40 gram serve.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
General comments. Nice and creamy. I could use this every day 3 times a day. If only you could buy a 10lb bag.
Whats being tested toomorow? Watch this space.
AZZA

Before bed protein drink review.
Urban Muscle Platinum Blend Chocolate.
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
General comments. Not as strong or rich flavour. Tastes very natural like a cocoa taste. Quite nice.
AZZA

modify_inline.gif

Todays review, Quads and Calves workout, no change to normal workout.
Pre-workout drink
Dymatize XPAND pink lemeonade 18.5 gram serve
Taste 3 STARS
Mixability 3 STARS
Digestability 4 STARS
Pump 3 STARS
Vascular improvement 2 STARS
Workout improvement 2 STARS
Comments. Taste was what you would expect with a N.O drink, no caffeine in this one. Did not mix as well as Supercharge. Slight to middle pump. Supercharge is still the benchmark in this review.

Protein and carb drink
Nutrition Science Giant Mass not sure of the serving size maybe 40-50 grams, anyway i had 2 serves for the carbs. Vanilla
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestibility 5 STARS
Comments. This was like drinking vanilla ice cream, it was fantastic. No bloat or after taste. Lance from Nutrition Science has a high quality great tasting drink here.
Whats on toomorow? watch this space
AZZA

thanks for the reviews azza i am sure a lot of members will find them rather informative , the mods and I will keep an eye on the threads and keep it clean and tidy

Todays review. Trained Biceps. Morning shake
Nutrition Science Hydrolysed Whey Isolate Chocolate. Unsure of serving size, probably 40 grams so had 2.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
General comments. Not a strong chocolate taste, same creamy texture as the Giant Mass.

Pre-workout drink
Isatori Morph.
6 pills.
I had a severe alergic reaction to this during my workout. I have never had a reaction to anything. My arms, shoulders, traps and neck all went tingly and i developed a severe rash like prickly heat. I had increased temp and felt i was sweating but no sweat. I stopped after 8 sets as it got worse. Almost a hour to clear up.I was about to get anti-hystemeans when it cleared. The plus was the product targeted the worked muscle, biceps and they were swole. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN TO EVERYONE WHO USES THIS PRODUCT. Discontinue use if any of these symptoms occur. Others i know have used this product with good results.

Protein drink
Dymatize Elite Whep Protein Isolate Rich Chocolate. 32.4gram
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
digestability 5 STARS.
General comments. Rich chocolate flavour, strong and rich for me but a different tasting chocolate to the others.
Whats toomorow? Watch this space.
AZZA

I am a bit behind here but here is Thursday's review. Trained Shoulders. Morning shake.
Science Nutrition Dominace Whey Protein vanilla 30gram serve and had 2 packets.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Comments I have now tried 3 different Science Nutrition protein drinks and blends, it is evident that all criteria for my review is across the board with 5 STARS so that is a recomendation from that point. For pricing you would have to go to there website.

Pre-workout drink. BSN N.O-XPLODE fruit punch 20.5gram.
Taste 3 STARS
Mixability 3 STARS
Digestability 4 STARS
PUMP 3 STARS
Vascular improvement 2 STARS
Workout improvement 2 STARS.
General comments. This was the first one i have tried which didnt mix all the serve up and left little floaties. Taste was ok for these drinks. I noticed only slight differences in pump, vascularity and workout intensity. There are probably some variables with my workouts this week due to work. I train at lunch time and have already worked 6 hours straight up until then. The workout drinks taken i feel have improved the energy levels during my workouts. Only one drink has had caffeine in it. I will be re-doing all workout drinks on different muscles as i feel they all need another go.

After workout protein drink Dymatize Elite Berry Blast 31gram.
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Comments All the Dymatize drinks so far have had strong flavours and pleasent to drink.
Whats next? watch this space
AZZA

Trained back today.
Post workout drink MAX's Extreme Mass Gain Formula 50 gram serve, took 3 serves 150 gram of Banana Creme
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 4 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Comments I would not normally buy banana flavoured protein drinks. I kept a open mind on this when mixing it up. I also dont usually have 150 grams in 400ml lactose free milk either but i wanted the carbs. This was a very nice creamy shake. Anyone contemplating a banana flavour, cant go past this.
AZZA

Ok i have a few reviews to cover here all at once so bear with it.
I have 3 protein shakes a day so i can cover a lot of flavours and brands all quite quickly.
Wed 16 Dec as my last before bed shake after a heavy back day was MAXS RELOAD 100% Hydrolysed WPI 30g serve and i took 3, 90 grams.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 4 STARS
Digestabilty 5 STARS
Comments. In my shaker it all didn't mix up, left a few small bits but nothing to worry about. The taste is rich and creamy and having 3 serves at once does't mean it is realy rich. I have now had my 6 samples from MAXS. I do hope they send some more, maybe different flavours and there nite time blend which i would like to try.

Thursday 17 Dec non training day. Had my 3 shakes today which were Dymatize Elite WPI 32.4gram serves
First Chocolate Mint
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
DIGESTABILITY 5 STARS
Comments This is like drinking a after dinner mint in a good way.

Second Smooth Banana
Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestabilty 5 STARS
Comments Another pleasent tasting banana shake.

Third Gourmet Vanilla
Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Comments Overall very nice. Some of the Dymatize flavours have a distinct toffee/candy type of a taste and across the board are all very nice tasting. once again would like to try other blends in the future. I am through with my protein samples from them and have a second XTEND to try.
AZZA

Friday 18 Dec Trained Chest, Delts and Tri's. I dont usualy group all these together but my work schedule dictates this.
Morning shake was Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Vanilla Ice Cream 29.4grams and had 2 serves.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Comments. Nice taste and being instantized like a lot of brands means easy mixing and cleanup!

Pre-workout Black Powder sample Blue Raspberry.
Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixabilty 4.5 STARS
Digestabilty 5 STARS
Pump 3.5 STARS
Vascular improvement 3 STARS
Workout Intensity 4.5 STARS
Endurance 4 STARS
Recovery 4.5 STARS
Comments. This drink surprised me it was like a Aqua color, tasted great for a pre-workout drink. I blasted through my sets and reps. Considering my workload this day i had a lot of energy and got a few more reps and strength and reps did not drop off when i changed muscle groups. If it wasnt for the fact i only had 45 minutes i would have done more. The pump was OK. Next week i will revert back to one muscle per day to see a improvement in perpetual pump.
Post workout shake. Monster Milk Chocolate. 85gram serve.
Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestablity 5 STARS
Comments. This was like a Maccas thick shake in texture and tasted better. 50 grams of protein and 13 grams of Glutamine, also only 4 grams of sugar. Only gripe is it is only available in a 2.1 pound tub.
Bed Time shake. Same as morning ON Vanilla Ice Cream.
Whats next? stay tuned.
AZZA

Review time. Over the weekend i have used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.
Delicous Strawberry 29.4g x 2 serves.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS

Choc-Mint 29.4 x 2 serves
Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS

Comments Optimum do have some very nice flavours, i have Cookies n Cream and French Vanilla left to try. All up i have 53 packets and will consume every last one.
AZZA

Review time.
I trained Monday and Tuesday
Legs Monday 22/12
Pre-workout drink Science Nutrition Xplosive Creatine Plus. Serve was about 50 grams which i mixed up with 500 mls water. Citrus taste.
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 4 STARS
Digestability 4 STARS
Comments. While this is not a N.O drink it is a pre and post-workout drink. You can taste the taurine which gives it a distinct taste, almost tasted similar to a Mushashi workout drink i use to take which had the same 3 ingredients. Ingredients include creatine, taurine, D-ribose, dextrose, alanine, ALA. Taste is OK and i have about 200 mls before workout then consume rest during workout. Energy was up as well as intensity. I went non stop with 10 straight sets for quads. 5 Raptor Leg press and 5 extensions rep range was 10-30. Then did seated calf 3 sets and calf leg extensions 3 sets working up to 115 kg. I did tailor my workout to maybe suit the drink as i wanted to see what endurance i would have while training light and to failure on the last sets. I think it worked as i had some good muscle soreness and felt recovery was good. I would usualy do 9 sets for quads and do squats, leg press, extensions and go as heavy as i can for 8-12 reps.
AZZA

Last Tuesday trained Chest, delts and tri's.
Pre-workout drink MRI Black Powder Fruit Explosion 15 gram serve.
Taste 3 STARS
Mixabilty 4.5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Pump 4.5 STARS
Vascularity 4.5 STARS
Workout intensity 4.5 STARS
Endurance 4.5 STARS
Recovery 4 STARS
Comments-This is the 2nd Black Powder sample i have had (i have a whole tub) and the taste is a aquired one compared to the first one i had. My workouts are definately improved by having a pre-workout drink. Pump was right up there today as well. Black Powder for a 15 gram serve has heaps in it. I will list all ingredients later. In my review this is the best one i have tried yet. Looking forward to the tub of Orange Burst i have.
Post workout shake Monster Milk by Cytosport. Review same as before. 5 STARS. I will continue to use this tub until gone as my post-workout shake.
AZZA

Review time.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, Cookies and Cream 30.4g x 2.
Taste 3.5 Stars
Mixablity 5 STARS
Digestability 4 Stars
Comments. This one had a distinct toffee taste which was ok but not as nice as there vanilla and strawberry flavours.
AZZA

modify_inline.gif

Trained Back, Bi's and calve's today.
Pre-workout drink MRI Black Powder Orange Burst. 1.5 seves 30g
Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS
Pump 4.5 STARS
Intensity 4.5 STARS
Vascularity 4.5 STARS
Endurance 4.5 STARS
Recovery 4.5 STARS
Comments. I am now into the tub of Black Powder, i had one and a half serves as i wanted MORE. Seemed to work, i was swole, lats and arms were pumped. Workout which included 5 back execises and 3 for arms and 2 for calves was easy. Not any stronger just easier and i sweated heaps. Doing shoulders toomorow and i am going to do something new a before and after shot.
Post workout shake. Monster Milk
AZZA

Yeah the format will have to change slightly to make it easier to read. The whole review has got a lot bigger than i anticapated which is a good thing. Seeing the 3 main criteria for protein drinks has been easily met by all companys. Honestly i have not had a bad tasting or mixing product. I had some nay sayers with milk based proteins as i am lactose intoleratant. Most recomended soy. I have had no intolerance to any which makes me think the problem with lactose intolerance is from the process's the milk goes through from farm to shelf. I will be more closely scrutinizing ingredients eg whey isolates vs concentrates and what is the blend eg wpi, wpc, egg albumem, cassenaite, skim milk powder (if present) and any extra's like MCT's and aminogen, digestive enzymes, creatine and glutamine etc. More good things to come with this topic in 2009.
AZZA

XTREME FORMULATIONS ULTRA PEPTIDE STRAWBERRY

I have been using this since the ON stopped after Christmas so here is the review.
Taste 5 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS

Comments-this is a strong tasting and creamy strawberry.
Ingredients comments-no ratio's avaiable but the protein blend is pure undenatured low temp casein and whey protein isolate. This appeals to me.
Supp facts per serving. 38g
Calories 173
Protein 18g
Carbs 5g
Fat 9g trans fat 0
Sugars 3g
Fibre 1
Sodium 120mg
Cholesterol 5mg
Potassium 310mg
AZZA

XTREME FORMULATION RELENTLESS CHOCOLATE

This is my post-workout shake after i finished the Monster Milk
Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 5 STARS
Digestability 5 STARS

Comments-I am using this for approx 12 workouts or 3 weeks. Not the best tasting chocolate but not far off. Bit high in sugar but as you know you do need some fast acting sugars/carbs after breaking it down at the gym.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 scoops (75g)
Servings per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 289
Calories from Fat 13
Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Saturated Fat 1g 1%
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 80mg **
Cholesterol 35mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 42g 14%
Dietary Fiber 3g **
Sugars 20g **
Protein 27g **
Sodium 80mg **

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
** Percent Daily Values not established.

INGREDIENTS:

Anabolic hypertrophic/ myotropic protein blend: (low molecular weight hydrolyzed whey protein, micellar casein, l-leucine, l-glutamine, l-valine, l-isoleucine), anabolic hypertrophic / myotropic carbohydrate blend: dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize starch, rice oligodextrin, inulin, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), natural and artificial flavors, sucralose.

Allergen Note:

Contains milk. This product was manufactured on equipment that processes products that may contain milk, egg, soy, and tree nuts.

Sells for $59.95 for 910gram tub. Thats $4.95 per serve.
AZZA