• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Surgery before comp

bams_101

So I've been training for a gym comp on 29th June and have just found out a surgery I was planning to have in Aug/Sept now has to happen on May 27th due to Doc being away from July to mid Oct. It is a gym comp but I was preparing for it properly as it's my first comp and this threw a little spanner in the works. It's just a minor surgery so recovery won't be affected but supposedly can't lift "heavy" for 2 weeks but I'm following up on this.

Anyways, I originally planned on doing 7 weeks lifting and 1 week deload but now that's out. Any thoughts on how I'd train the 3 weeks pre comp?? Thanks

Week 8 : 6-12 May
Week 7 : 13-19 May
Week 6 : 20-26 May
Week 5 : 27 May - 2 June CANT TRAIN
Week 4 : 3 - 10 June CANT TRAIN
Week 3 : 11-15 June
Week 2 : 16-22 June
Week 1 : 23-28 June
Comp : June 29

if it was me i'd hit openers / 2nd attemps in week 6
week 3/4 - just get under the bar and get the movements right
week1 - on the 23/24/25 - hit openers for a single
26-28th - rest
then comp.

What is the surgery?
If you don't answer I'll assume it's venereal and you can probably lift anyway

What is the surgery?
If you don't answer I'll assume it's venereal and you can probably lift anyway

Hahaha nah man. It's for a deviated septum/turbinate reduction from a badly healed broken nose that I got in a Karate tournament a while back. Ive had it done before (2005) but when I stopped fighting I didn't see the need to get it fixed again.

I like the new avatar Oni, looks like Grossman from Tropic thunder lol.

if it was me i'd hit openers / 2nd attemps in week 6
week 3/4 - just get under the bar and get the movements right
week1 - on the 23/24/25 - hit openers for a single
26-28th - rest
then comp.

Thanks Adam, I was going to take openers 10-12 days out but I think your right. Oh and congrats on that nice bench I saw the other day, 170 looked pretty smooth!

Hahaha nah man. It's for a deviated septum/turbinate reduction from a badly healed broken nose that I got in a Karate tournament a while back. Ive had it done before (2005) but when I stopped fighting I didn't see the need to get it fixed again.

I like the new avatar Oni, looks like Grossman from Tropic thunder lol.

You should be fine, your body will be healing though so you might not be as strong because you're focusing on healing. Just don't drop the bar on your nose lol. It's not as if it's going to blow up when you're deadlifting

I like the avatar also, it's one of my favourites in this set. I can't remember which pop culture reference it was after though.

No point risking further injury just for a gym comp imo

It is when it is your main comp for the year lol.

Not too many at ESP any more who compete in Feds, though Vicki O'Brien was running a PA intro type deal last Saturday and there was a dozen or so guys/gals there so maybe a few more lackeys there for Wilks

Thanks Adam, I was going to take openers 10-12 days out but I think your right. Oh and congrats on that nice bench I saw the other day, 170 looked pretty smooth!

thanks bams :) hopefully do a bit better at nationals

i'm no expert so i can only speak from what i would do personally