• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Systematicly achieving strength goals

PTC

Achieving strength goals is easier to measure than achieving physique goals. You can record strength gains weekly, but physique goals are harder to notice on a weekly basis.

So whats the best way to increase strength and achieve goals. Firstly, you need to set a goal and a realistic time frame.

By having 3 comps a year at PTC, it allows the lifter to use these dates as time frames.

Nick (NPR) started a bench program with me in May to bench 140kg on BATB3. He had benched 126kg in 2008, but an extended holiday and an injury had him benching only 110kg on the day we started. He had resumed training in February, but a serious of set backs had him at 110kg on the day, although he said he had benched 115kg at his gym. You see, whenever I start a program, you first need to establish a 1RM on the first day. We need a start point.

So Nick started on 110kg in May and in September benched 145kg. On the day of the comp, he missed 145kg, so had to be content with his 140kg/3 plate bench. He did squat a 205kg PB prior to the bench, and attempted a 210kg effort, so fatigue may have played a part in his missing 145kg.

I would like to see Nick bench over 150kg and total over 850kg at AD10, but we'll discuss that shortly.

Fat Dave started my 2 x weekly bench program 14 weeks before BATB3. His 1RM was 80kg, and he wanted to bench 100kg. He made 105kg on the day of the comp.

We used a time frame, established a 1RM, calculated the ammount of sessions in between, and made our goals.

You need to be realistic. You cant have 5kg a week jumps indefinitely. You need to work around the other lifts and simply specialize on one lift at a time. Your weakest lift.

With Nick we will be working on his deadlift. Nick has a 250kg + deadlift in him, Dave needs to powerclean 100kg +. If these 2 achieve these goals, they will make 850kg and 700kg respectively at AD10.

If your lifting is haphazard and not planned, so will your results be.

For some, it may simply be to get heavier. This has worked for Max, Nicky and Dim. They all had massive improvements in 6-12 months, regardless of whether there into a 1RM cycle, 3RM cycle, weight gain or technique based.

Some will see improvement simply from improving technique. I had a guy come to me for 1 session. He was deadlifting 100kg, that was his max. I asked him to deadlift 100kg. He made it with a struggle. I made some adjustments, loaded the bar to 140kg, and had him pull again. He gave me that "your f u c k i n g nuts look" but Herc pulled 140kg effortlessly.

Is that not the best $50 he ever spent? How long would he need to train incorrectly for a 40kg deadlift increase.

Workout where you need to imrove, set goals, put a system in place, and work hard and consistently.

What were the corrections that you made to the guy who went from 100kg - 140kg?

i need to really plan my workouts from here on in if i want to reach my goals. they have been really random up until now

What were the corrections that you made to the guy who went from 100kg - 140kg?

My question exactly.Was it a major flaw to have such a big effect or was it something simple?Or is that giving away a major trade secret?:D

Just his stance, grip and foot positioning. Its not as easy as grip and rip.

If it was, everyone would pull 200kg. No trade secrets, just knowing the mechanics of the lift.

Your advice on my last deadlift really helped me. "think of it as opening a jar, slowly apply pressure(lift) dont jerk it up" and I made a new PB! Ill pull 200 soon enough. :)

I full agree with that, I see alot of people jerking it up and I wonder how long until they have back issues.

Markos, care to elaborate on foot positioning, stance and grip? I want to add 40kg to my deadlift. :)

Obviously if you dont have a flawed technique, you wont gain 40kg. From experience, most have areas where I can help, as Simon said.

Unfortunately its extremely difficult on the net, much easier in person.

Once I detect the weakness, we work on strengthening that. Most train to there strengths, and stay weak. I see it constantly.

Even on this forum, guys with their PB's in there sig, and there goals are to improve strengths.

Thats denial, and without it being adressed, an injury waiting to happen, unfortunately.

I knew one guy who trained biceps so much, that when he finally got around to building his back, he couldnt activate his lats, his biceps were taking all the load. To this day he has a tiny back and rather large arms, he looks odd. Always has.

Fadi is a pretty good example. He was an elite Olympic lifter, so he trained accordingly. From his pic, he appears to have brilliant shoulders, really special ones. But even he admits his pecs lag. I'm guessing his delts take most of the load when he benches now, and his delts keep growing while he finds it harder to bring his pecs up. Olympic lifters lift bars overhead, plenty of delt work. Pecs get in the way of a good snatch. They dont train the bench, from what I've read of the elite Bulgarians etc.

I may be wrong, Fadi may be able to give a better explanation, I am basing my comment on one tiny pic.

Most train to there strengths, and stay weak. I see it constantly.

Even on this forum, guys with their PB's in there sig, and there goals are to improve strengths.

Thats denial, and without it being adressed, an injury waiting to happen, unfortunately.
Could you say some more on this? Do you mean obvious stuff like someone's bench being more than their squat, or something else?

Yeah, I want to know about that too!

I was just being stupid saying I want to add 40kg on my lift. I know that is alot of hard work away.

Well yeah, thats the obvious one Kyle.

I have no issue with anyone benching more than they squat or deadlift. We all need to learn about balance, but I do with someone trying to improve their bench in that situation.

And Josh, I reckon I could extract 10-20kg in one deadlift session with you.

I have 3 lifters around your height but lighter that all pull 180kg+, you could as well.

I see your deadlift is progressing nicely Kyle, well done

What would you suggest the main issues that most people have on a deadlift? Or does everyone differ?

Line of pull, shoulder positioning in respect to bar, hand spacing, distance of ass to hands, not pushing hips through, starting with hips too high or too low, depending on strength/weakness

I knew one guy who trained biceps so much, that when he finally got around to building his back, he couldnt activate his lats, his biceps were taking all the load. To this day he has a tiny back and rather large arms, he looks odd. Always has.

Fadi is a pretty good example. He was an elite Olympic lifter, so he trained accordingly. From his pic, he appears to have brilliant shoulders, really special ones. But even he admits his pecs lag. I'm guessing his delts take most of the load when he benches now, and his delts keep growing while he finds it harder to bring his pecs up. Olympic lifters lift bars overhead, plenty of delt work. Pecs get in the way of a good snatch. They dont train the bench, from what I've read of the elite Bulgarians etc.

I may be wrong, Fadi may be able to give a better explanation, I am basing my comment on one tiny pic.

Thanks Markos,

We had a couple of weightlifters, (who thought they were bodybuilders) and would insist on doing bench press on days off or after training with their bodybuilders' friends. Did they bench big? Yes, 200kg big! That's how much they could clean and jerk. Did they have big chests? Yes. Did their weightlifting suffer? Yes, tremendously! Did they make it to the World championships? Are you kidding?!

That's what happens when you think you're smarter than your coach. Period!

Yes you're right about my chest Markos. For us proper weightlifters, it was all about how much we could explode above head; and I mean explode!

I know I shouldn't be saying this because it won’t give a good example, but to illustrate the above head addiction thing: I work at a place where I have access to an Olympic bar with Olympic weights (I'm not joking). As some of you know, I work night shift. At 2am I went into the gym, loaded the bar with 50kg and repped out all I could in the military press. I counted about 30 reps and left the gym. I've been out for 3-4 months now with an elbow injury. So doing that proved to me that this Monday will be training resumption day.

I got so damn excited I hijacked your thread; sorry Markos.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Line of pull...

Line of pull, line of pull, line of pull... That was all I could hear in my head for few months as a beginner; did I mention line of pull? Ok Markos I heard you, how many times do you have to say line of pull?! Coaches are so damn patient when they know and feel they've got a champion in the making.

Another one; don't bend your elbows or, arms straight Fadi. This drills become one with you after few months that even when the coach doesn't say them anymore, your head repeats it to you automatically.

Fadi.

Not hijacked at all, I wanted you to post that up, I was pretty sure that I was correct.

I have got most cleaning off blocks now. What I'm finding is some lifters have bent their arms before the bar passes the knees lol

By starting with the bar elevated above the knees, they can concentrate on the second pull with arms straight.

All indications are that this is helping their powerclean. I also find that this is a very good way to teach the full clean. I had Mick full clean 110kg off 32cm blocks last night. His powerclean PB is 107.5kg.

interesting i myself havent even tried to power clean anymore then 60kg because of lack of correct training my power clean training still consists of power shrugs with the jump and hang cleans when they fell good i have a few goes at the full motion but mainly i dont wanna get into bad form,,, does this sound alright? or should i push it a bit heavier?

im enjoying the military press too i havent tried a 1rm yet but 60kg was pretty easy for a set of 5 its helped my bench too

I think it is time to just start pushing it a bit Chris, we'll keep an eye on each others form. Since we can't have PT sessions with Kenneth for 6 weeks we'll just have to watch closely.

As for MP, you are stronger than me in that you young bastard. :p

cheers bro, my back is a bit caaned today after wednesdays sess, funny enough i havent had a good back smashing soreness in awhile my legs have though...yesterday arvo i did heaps of judds and that other one u showed me they get ya dont they im gonna get Jo doing em too plus a bit of bench and squats with the bar at home