• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

T:Nation--The Overlooked Key to Muscle Growth

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
http://www.t-nation.com/training/overlooked-key-to-muscle-growth

• If your goal is to build bigger muscles and you already have a good base of strength, chasing PRs isn't going to add significant size.
  • Heavy weight isn't that important for hypertrophy. The actual weight you're lifting has less to do with it than you may think.
  • Before increasing the weight, increase ROM, alter tempo, or use extended set methods to trigger new muscle growth.
  • Burnout sets and higher volume protocols are great alternatives to increasing weight.
  • The experienced lifter knows when to deviate from his program and do what his body needs during a workout.
  • The goal should be to make weights feel like they weigh more than they do.

I think a good point is that heavy weight isn't overly important as long as you are already strong. Some people benching 40kgs might take 'heavy weight isn't that important' out of context and continue pissing their time away on light weight body part splits before trying to build up a good strength base first.

I think a good point is that heavy weight isn't overly important as long as you are already strong. Some people benching 40kgs might take 'heavy weight isn't that important' out of context and continue pissing their time away on light weight body part splits before trying to build up a good strength base first.

Totally agree, got to be moving some weight for those reps

It's important to remember that he's talking about seasoned lifters not beginners
For a beginner, progression by gradually increasing the amount of weight lifted is key but a seasoned lifter needs to me smarter

I like "The goal should be to make weights feel like they weigh more than they do".

Your body doesn't know the difference between 30kg and 32.5kg DB's anymore than you know whether that chick is 19 or really 15.75.

There are so many benefits to having that 'pre-stretch', time under tension and negatives that I am appreciating more and more as time goes by!