• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tell usabout your usual bulking and cutting cycles

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Do you run each cycle for a specific amount of time (Bulk for X months followed by a cut for Y months) or until you hit a certain weight (Bulk until you weigh X lbs/kg followed by a cut until you weigh Y lbs/kg)?
Touch on any points you feel are relevant

Yep specific time, have cut a max of 10 times in 25 years, so spend most of my time "bulking".
0nly ever cut befor a big trip somewhere, like Europe or USA, don't bother cutting for like 2 weeks in a Phuket resort, only the big trips, so I don't look like a boofhead in the photos.
That's it, it's the only time I cut, can't handle that empty, hungry, skinny feeling, plus it's 100 times easier to "bulk" rather than cutting fat.

PS
i forgot to mention, I start to cut exactly 6 months before I hop on the plane.

Last edited:
What if your holiday coincides with stereosonic?
I've heard fables of gym rats, spelling out stereosonic instead of counting reps *sigh*

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

You don't need to be. Just jam everything up your nose and take ya shirt off

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

After reading a good thread on tnation.com by a fairly well respected member on their forums, I've opted for the view that it's better to keep on bulking, overshoot and then come back down. Lots of little cuts, just lead to you spinning your wheels and ending up marginally bigger and only marginally leaner.

^^^ That's what I'm doing now. Increased my calories a lot more than my body was used to and quickly put on 1kg a week. It has leveled off now with about 10kgs gained. It will be interesting to see results after cutting this year.

After reading a good thread on tnation.com by a fairly well respected member on their forums, I've opted for the view that it's better to keep on bulking, overshoot and then come back down. Lots of little cuts, just lead to you spinning your wheels and ending up marginally bigger and only marginally leaner.

Till now my infrequent cutting was put down to my love for food and the in ability to sustain a normal life without large qtys of rich foods being devoured.
But now I'm rolling with your theory Judgey, I like it, sticking with it.

I will always go with a combo of time + goal weight - I have only ever really truely bulked a handful of times in 11 years - during my cuts and bulks my weight has gone between 120+kgs > down to 79kgs > up to 95kgs > down to 85kgs > upto to 105kgs-115kgs etc etc etc - my current weight of between 103-105kg is the longest I have stayed around the same weight - and that is around 2 years.

My "bulk" has been very slow really. About 4 years from 70kg to 85kg with some cuts along the way. No specific amount of time just start cutting when I feel a bit fluffy again really.

I like to do a fair few sports so getting "HUGE" isn't really the main priority. I've found for me that around 85kg is optimal for a good mix of strength and fitness. (80kg is optimal for bar calisthenics though :p) So because of that, I believe I will be basically maintaining weight around this level in the future. Just working on increasing weaker body parts.