• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Temperature of Cardio Section

C

chris_melb

Hello Everybody,
I am a member of "World Gym" and am pretty fed up at present.
When i joined the cardio section was brilliant and nice and cool (around 18 - 20 degrees celcius) and i could do 30min a day cardio no problems. Now they have renovated and the temperature in the cardio section is regularly very hot i.e. around 25-30 degrees or more....... and i literally over heat (being overweight) after 5min or so. I have spoken to the manager of the gym and he told me the air conditioning is working fine but he has proven to be a liar and a salesman!

The Question i have is weather or not there are regulations regarding the temperature requirements for cardio sections in the gym and if so who regulates gyms?

I am really ticked off as im spending money on a gym i cant use to its full capacity.

Thanks in Advance
Chris

I go to my uni gym at UQ St Lucia. It doesn't have air-con, the weights sections (3 levels) doesn't even have cieling fans, just a couple little wall fans. Never been to the cardio sections, but I know they aren't air-conditioned (maybe they have a few more fans though?) But yeah the whole gym is well and truly hotter then what your gym seems to be. I don't mind it that much though.

However I only pay $10 a week for access to the whole gym and swimming pools as well. If your paying the extra money for a nice air-conditioned gym, then that's what you should be getting.

I work out in my tin shed at home in summer i can see the steam coming off my body. I know that doesnt really help you, but i waned to let you know i knew where you were coming from.

Have you tried another gym? Other than that there really isnt anything you can do.

also try drink more water while working out that usually cools me down a lot.

Gyms are regulated by the usual consumer bodies. It depends on what your problem is. There isn't an association or ombudsman if that's what you're thinking.

There isn't too much you can do in regards to it being hot other than complain and find somewhere else to work out. You could train at a different time of day when it's cooler.

The Problem is that i signed into a 12 month contract as thats the only way they work plus im paying around 20 bucks a weeks which is quite a lot considering its more expensive then most. Also when i joined the gym i was impressed at how cool the cardio section was and enjoyed working out there but since they are tight asses to fit proper aircon when they renovated i simply cant work out in the cardio section. As for the weights section...........its grouse although they are pushing for new members and now the weights section is way too overcrowded!!!

No offense Chris, but you need to look around more at gyms. I work in the industry and $20 a week is not at all expensive. In fact it is less than most memberships, especially at a renovated gym. You would probably find that they have no control over the aircon as 99% of gyms do not own the building they are located in. And the staff who field all of the complaints can't do anything- they are probably hate working in the heat as well.

If you want to go to a gym that is not busy and caps membership numbers, expect to pay significantly more than you are now. And if you want to train during peak times, you have to expect that the gym will be busy.

Sorry mate- if you want top services you need to pay top dollar.

Your internal body temperature would be pretty much the same for both those temperature ranges. That is unless you are taking it easy and not exerting yourself much, what heart rate are you working to?
I think 18-20 deg is actually a bit cold.

25-30 deg is nothing, do you want to have a comfortable relaxing workout or do you want to lose weight and improve your cardio vascular system?

Just take in enough water to hydrate yourself.

What is your house like in terms of aircon - you realise at $20 a week 12months = $1040. Orbit have a pretty good rower/recumbent bike combo that costs $999 or less if you have cash and have a chat to the right salesman. My gf just picked one up for $900. Then you can spend the gym time infront of the tv at home in your own aircon. A rower and bike are all you really need for cardio, you can always walk around the block a few times if you want to walk/run when you get a bit fitter. Then after a yr you'll be WAY fitter, and probably looking to put on some muscle. $1500 will get you a cheap power rack, bench and weights new, or good brands second hand. So for 2.5yrs worth of gym fees, you can have your own equipment for life....

Just a thought.

A good pair of shoes is even cheaper.

Go for a run, walk at first if you can't run.

well every gym in the direct area is cheaper...................not by 10-20% but most are half price.................i joined this gym cos the cardio was great and so was the body building section. Now all i need to know is if there is any laws governining gyms as i joined the gym for reasons that now arent there............i.e. cardio was cool all the time now hot all the time...............for fks sakes its 15 degrees outside yet cardio in the 30 gimme a break.

Chris, you will not get out of your contract for this reason. There is no one body that overlooks gyms. Your best bet would be with whatever body in Vic takes care of consumer rights, which is the Dept of Fair Trading here in NSW. You can only get out of your contract if the gym has not delivered the service for which you joined, or has broken another clause in the contract. At the moment, it is still providing that service.

And obviously gyms in Vic are much cheaper than here in Sydney- even a basic FF membership is over $20 per week.

Hello Everybody,
I am a member of "World Gym" and am pretty fed up at present.
When i joined the cardio section was brilliant and nice and cool (around 18 - 20 degrees celcius) and i could do 30min a day cardio no problems. Now they have renovated and the temperature in the cardio section is regularly very hot i.e. around 25-30 degrees or more....... and i literally over heat (being overweight) after 5min or so. I have spoken to the manager of the gym and he told me the air conditioning is working fine but he has proven to be a liar and a salesman!

The Question i have is weather or not there are regulations regarding the temperature requirements for cardio sections in the gym and if so who regulates gyms?

I am really ticked off as im spending money on a gym i cant use to its full capacity.

Thanks in Advance
Chris
That'll teach you to go into the "Cardio" section.
Lift some weights man.