• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Every now and again we see some skinny dude lift considerable weight.

Dr Squat nicknamed didley asked to be tested on an experimental (at the time) leg machine to test the static strength of the quads at certain angles to measure force.

at the time he held the record for the squat near 500kg and only 2 months away at another attempt.

what happened was amazing, his strength was less than some of the women that where tested, he was tested the next morning with excactly the same result.

d's quads consisted mainly of slow twitch fibers, excellent for a marathon runner, Lousy for a powerlifter.

he left before they could test his hams and gluteus so it was concluded that these muscles would need to be the opposite in fibre typing.

how could a man squat 500kg with weak quads?

i deadlifted 120kg with an injured hip, lower back and leg pain. at 46kg.
I also have relatively weak quads.

I wonder how much force of will and anatomical dimensions (levers etc) come into play and how important each aspect is in relation to muscle strength/size.

it's an interesting question.

would love to know!

So you're saying he squatted 500 but he mainly consisted of slow twitch fibres but had he had more fast twitch fibres he could've squatted loads more, bearing in mind the quads aren't the only muscle working.

Was the woman tested a trained athlete or a scrubber? Do you have a link to the experiment?

When I go to the physio and they do tests on me, there are a few different joint angles with various joints where I have close to zero strength

So you're saying he squatted 500 but he mainly consisted of slow twitch fibres but had he had more fast twitch fibres he could've squatted loads more, bearing in mind the quads aren't the only muscle working.

Was the woman tested a trained athlete or a scrubber? Do you have a link to the experiment?

I believe the owner spent $80 million dollars over a period of 10 years, testing over and above 10 thousand people from a broad spectrum including 20 sets of twins over a twenty week period, results are mainly kept at the university of Florida and the company that conducted the tests.

not only squatted 500, beat his record two months later.
his quads had a high ratio of fast twitch only, it was suggested if he had of trained his quads using a higher rep range it would have significantly improved his thigh strength.

Thats interesting. I guess there is merit in training a variety of rep ranges periodically. Kinda what im doing now.

i deadlifted 120kg with an injured hip, lower back and leg pain. at 46kg.
I also have relatively weak quads.

I wonder how much force of will and anatomical dimensions (levers etc) come into play and how important each aspect is in relation to muscle strength/size.

it's an interesting question.

would love to know!

I'd imagine a lot.
but what had been concluded, was fibre typing has a huge impact on available strength, fibre typing is genetic and ratios cannot be changed, only proper exercise prescription can address the issue.

think, a small man squatting well above his body weight.

Thats interesting. I guess there is merit in training a variety of rep ranges periodically. Kinda what im doing now.

This is excactly where I'm coming from.

some people would benefit much more training in the hig rep world for some exercises.

When I go to the physio and they do tests on me, there are a few different joint angles with various joints where I have close to zero strength

Which physio?

even a dead person has strength, when you fully extend a limb of a corpse it will snap back, that's called stored energy.

but what had been concluded, was fibre typing has a huge impact on available strength

Looking purely at the fibre ratio in his quads and the weight moved, one may posit that the opposite is true and that other factors have significantly more influence...

well thats a bit of a worry. what joint are we talking about. How do you strengthen them?

Knee and hip for me
It's a glute/hamstrings activation issue

I'm getting it fixed with acupuncture
I go to Adelaide Advanced Physiotherapy Andy

I'd imagine a lot.
but what had been concluded, was fibre typing has a huge impact on available strength, fibre typing is genetic and ratios cannot be changed, only proper exercise prescription can address the issue.

think, a small man squatting well above his body weight.

well, what struck me was that I also have slow twitch fibres mostly (which always makes me question my interest in powerlifting given my genetic disposition away from having any actual power).

would love to see the article/study if you have a link to it.

I do think that anatomical proportions/levers/biomechanics has a good deal to do with it as well. I have perfect proportions for deadlifting (totally craptastic for benching).
But that just means that to make progress with one is easy but for benching I need to have the right programming to make progress and it's typically much much slower.

I also always train various rep ranges - not just for my major lifts but other exercises too (but others mostly in hypertrophy ranges)