• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on hip drive?

If you train your hips/glutes/hams/lower back - and strengthen these areas - I think when it comes to the point of performing the squat - do whatever gets you the most power and what activates the muscles above the most - honestly I don't agree or disagree with either way of squatting - do what works for you.

I am abit old school and have the Westside train of thought - when he touched on box squats - I feel this is the no.1 movement to develop a bigger squat - this will activate the hip flexors/glutes more-so than an other exercise I feel. Again though I lifter has to work out what is best for them and what delivers the overall best results.

I can see the pros and cons of both different ways though....

Last edited:
I like what Joel writes, and agree, to add to that, it really does come down to *your* leverages and torso/thigh lengths.

some are naturals squatters, long torso/ short thigh and legs, others really need to really work hard at it and they need to find ,in their own time and in their way the best way to squat., these people are; short torso/long thighs and legs.

ironically these types will have stronger muscles, ( low back and quads)

Last edited:
recognising and using 'hip drahve' is how I was able to annhiliate the point of failure I was hitting with my squat. That and consciously forcing the knees outwards going down.

That said I don't like the feel of high bar squatting. Rip tends to polarise, but when I do things his way, they seem to work better thus far.

I don't think it matters gooby
People just need to figure out what works for themselves

If you want it bad enough you'll make it happen. I squat with atrocious form and well, doesn't seem to matter

that's correct, but I don't think that people should be saying that Rip is wrong either, and that his method only works for babby weights etc etc

have you ever tried skateboard squats?

Meh, I don't even know..

But high bar is different to low bar.. Pushing your arse back won't keep your torso upright at all?? Doesn't rip only refer to low bar when doing tutorials?

Meh, I don't even know..

But high bar is different to low bar.. Pushing your arse back won't keep your torso upright at all?? Doesn't rip only refer to low bar when doing tutorials?

Yeah dudenheim, Rip only teaches the low bar squat, including for weightlifting for some reason
I didn't really like the guys explanation either. The way rip teaches the squat doesn't put all the stress onto the quads at all. It also encourages people to dick around thinking they were squatting "the wrong way" when really they just need to squat more

Get strong enough you figure this shit out. You fuck up a rep a little and you're like "oh that was easier" or "oh that SUCKED". If it doesn't hurt then keep doing it