• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

To Fish Oil or Not to Fish Oil....Great Medicine or Expensive Placebo?

kaz

iLift
I recently included Fish Oil supplements into my diet and like others before me, I started seeing some side effects.
I started on 6g a day, 3 night and 3 morning, then cut this back to 2g per day. Using Swiss Odourless Wild Fish Oil.
My husband started on 9g a day and quickly took this back to 6g now 3g a day.

So I googled sides of Fish Oil.......
Sides range from Oily Stools and Stomach Pain to Nausea and Stroke and also preventing the body from absorbing several Vitamins.

How do you really get health benefits from Fish Oil and what else compliments the use of Fish oil Supps?

12? No wonder you can't squat.

I was 20-30 for over a year. Only took it down if I got a cold/flu ect.

My dodgy digestive system can't handle it. Gives me a bad case of the splatters a few hours after having it. Krill oil is fine though, and fairly cheap at local Asian chemist.

Definitely no flax.

My dietary supps are WPI, creatine, dextrose, fish oil.

I eat a ton of olive oil too.

If you don't eat any oily fish a couple tablets may be beneficial but its not going to be a deal breaker. I'm not a fan of mega dosing supps, its hard to predict other things they may interfere with.

For that last couple years the only supps I have taken were wpi and creatine and I haven't even taken either of them for a couple months now. Never felt better or stronger.

I place fish oil in the same basket as protien powder.
I just think, as with most things we go from one extreme to the other and I went o the fish oil bender about four years ago, but now I have just added fish to the diet.

Flax is tricky, the best form is fresh as it goes rancid quite quickly.

I used to grind the seeds in a coffee grinder for my oats, but this just turned out to be a pain in the arse.
You need to grind the seed.
Flax seed oil needs to be stored in the fridge.

Last edited:
I rarely eat fish which is why I supplement it, plus people are swearing by it's benefits. I love fish but straight off the grill, not reheated.
But when you read into omega 3 & 6 offsetting and working against each other it just becomes tricky!
I dont know enough about it or just thinking too much into it....

I rarely eat fish which is why I supplement it, plus people are swearing by it's benefits. I love fish but straight off the grill, not reheated.
But when you read into omega 3 & 6 offsetting and working against each other it just becomes tricky!

I beleive it's -as with all things- just another thing you need to work out for yourself.

I had no response to supplements.

The only thing I have stuck with over the years is taking an antioxidant mix.
I've always eaten a lot of food and a wide variety of it.

A lot of it is hype and advertising, fish oil is big money these days. Best bet is to eat fish if you can't do that a couple tablets shouldn't hurt.

As for the benefits there are obviously likely to be some benefits but its still early days for a lot for the research. A lot of research is still on mice and a lot inconclusive yet. There were a couple of big meta analysis involving many different studies combined and 10s of thousands of people and they failed to show any cardiovascular benefits to taking fish oil.

Blackmores gave me fishy burps but Swisse is likened to Xenical in ways....not sure if shitty liver.

I take the Blackmores (oil + Vit D) capsules, two a day with food, as suggested on the label.

No issues of any kind so far, and have been taking them (same way, same dose) for months now.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are different effects for different people though...

Bazza I though the main benefit of fish oil was for joint inflammation ?

Thats what I was recommended them for by my GP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/science/31qna.html?_r=0
n-3 fatty acid supplements in rheumatoid arth... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
Omega-3 fatty acids

Blackmores gave me fishy burps but Swisse is likened to Xenical in ways....not sure if shitty liver.

which blackmores ?
tried the odourless ones ? Thats what I take, 25 a day. No noticeable side effects

I have no idea if my fish oil supplementation is working for me or not. But I don't get any side effects so I a happy to keep taking them as a preventive measure. I am using Blackmore's Omega Brain formula as it has a higher DHA value which I understand will prevent me from turning into an old amnesic freak.

I used to take it but stopped as I eat a lot of fish and it's almost always salmon and tuna as I don't like white fish much. So I'm getting more than my weekly quota.

But I used to take Microgenics odourless and then their orange flavoured liquid. Both of those ... no ill effects at all and no reflux/burps or anything.
It was the only one I tried that didn't give me the burps etc.
LOL in fact I used to add the liquid to yoghurt etc cos it made everything taste mildly of orange (not fish)

I had tried swisse and Nature's Way, Blackmores and a few others before that ... all of which gave me fishy burps.

I only use flax sometimes and not as a supplement but just to throw into protein breads etc for its flavour etc like any seeds (and always ground). But I haven't used it in ages.
Vegetarian sources of Omega 3s aren't as easily absorbed and converted in the body (although they are still great).
Plus flax has a much higher ratio of omega 6 so probably not as good given you want to increase your overall 3 to 6 ratio if you are to get any of the purported benefits to reduce inflammation.

Who knows?

Last edited: