• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Topic of the Week- How Did You Begin Bodybuilding?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
How Did You Begin Bodybuilding?

I don't think with anyone it would be a spare of the moment thought ,just woke up one day and decided to start working out. Something possessed us to hit the gym.
How and why did you begin bodybuilding?

How old were you? Did you wish you could have started earlier?
Who has been the most influential in your bodybuilding career?

For me it was in my early 20's

In my youth i had never really bothered about looking after myself too much , thinking about my future health etc

In my younger years as a teen I had hit the gym a few times with school and friends but it wasn't something i actively did

But i had an eye opener when my dad who has a pretty fucked up back started suffering major health problems , it was a real eye opener for me , I didn't want to go down that path so thought now is the time to start investing in my future

I quit smoking , turned bike riding from just transportation into recreation and fitness training, i started feeling stronger and more alive , my bike training route took me past the local gym, I had always thought joining a gym would be expensive so had never looked into it before ,but this one day i decided to stop in and found out that it was rather quite cheap

So I became a member and started going once or twice a week , the gym did have a free assement so I took up the offer and got a routine written up , I stuck to the routine but noticed I wasn't getting anywhere ,I hit the net reading up as much crap as i could deciphering the mine field of information

SO here i am today feeling much better with myself , much more healthier and stronger mind body and soul

I am still rather active with cycling , it's a great adventure getting out there and hiting the road , I do both road and mountain biking

I started when I was 41. Definitely wish I started about 20 years earlier.

I'd been thinking for months that I had to get in shape. Took me quite a while to get motivated to start. I finally got some resistance bands, then dumbbells. I was kinda half-half with cardio and weights initially, but the more I read about weights and did weight training, I soon realised I much preferred it to cardio. So then I went the whole hog and got power rack and a full home gym.

Nobody has been my greatest influence except me. I never train with anyone else.

Last edited:
I didn't do it for 'bodybuilding' i started going to the gym for my rugby league trying to get the strength over opponents (doing alot of leg strength/power training), started at the age 14 and was really serious back then, but then kept going on and off for 2 years and now at the age of 17 i'm into powerlifting :)

but i don't think i would reccommend starting at a young age, well not heavy weights that i was trying to do. as i think it will cause some good joint pain in the future.

I don't really do body building, anyway I started training at 17, but the first year was just random crap + loosing some weight. I wish I had started back at 14 or something. I only started lifting and running to loose some weight and gain some basic muscle and strength.

I wouldnt call what i do bodybuilding, just on a mission to be strong. I started lifting after a massive asthma attack landed me in intensive care on life support, after that i was fucked by walking to the end of the driveway. Started lifting and doing cardio, fluffed around for a few years not eating properly or not knowing what i was doing. Now i would like to think i have some idea and am on the right track.

Im not going to lie i began bodybuilding (not really bodybuilding) to look good for teh ladiez for my beach holiday at end of year. For months i did body weight exercises at home. But i wasn't really making any progress, actualy none what so ever. I didn't even think about eating right lol. I did get fitter though, as i expected from super high rep body weight training.

I started reading up online (videos on youtube ect - not that great for good advice) and i got a free weight bench plus like 90kg of crappy plastic cheap weights from one of my dad's clients. I did a routine but i had no idea about training techniques so i never got stronger although i did notice some more muscle. My eating was okay, better than before.

Then about November last year i joined up a gym and did a real program with real food and make some good beginner gains. I also started getting more serious with rugby union and found i could tackler harder, run faster ect.

I started when i was late 16 and yes i wish i started earlier. I even wish i started properly when i do the crap body weight routine and bad workout with weights.

Most influential would have to be trying to be bigger/stronger/leaner than the guy standing next to me. I am to competitive to be second. I am even competitive against my friends who do gym (chest/biceps) and want to be way bigger/lean than them.

Anyway im happy with my progress so far, i use to be a scrawny 60kg 16 year old, now at least im not skinny @ 75kg 5'7. My goal is not to be huge like jay cutler and all them, but rather like 85kg and lean, and STRONG.

Longest post oh yeah

all thru high school I was tall an skinny looked gumby as :) played rugby league had the skill but was piss weak lol.. started going to the gym around 16 didn't really know what I was doing.. I was more self conscious of what everyone in the gym was thinking of me lol! ended up giving up, about 1.5 years ago I started getting back into it doing alot more research and started actually making some strength and weight gains also set up abit of a gym at home so now I can train when ever I want getting big and strong and feeling good :)

p.s and also for the ladies ;)

Played rugby union - was about 120kgs in U14's - at the end of the season thought fuck this. U15's I was 80kgs - the coach didnt even know who I was - funny story, 1st training session back hes like whats ur name - thought he was joking so I laughed and hes like ok go do laps lol...I was like its Joel ...hes like ohhhhhhhhh fuck.

That yr got selected for an ACT development squad...got free use to the gym...the rest is history.

i decided to start when i was 21. i looked in mirror and went... .what!!! my arms are non existant with a 40 inch waist of blubbler (108kg) . was weak could barely do 10 pushups.. went and bought some dumbells then joined a gym, stumbled onto ns.com when markos was on there. before PTC. started reading , started listening and off i went.
a lifestyle change

Since we have a small town our school got a gym going when i was in year 10/2000 . My mate n i started then we have been going since then on n off . I wouldnt do it any different
I have not had a bodybuilder to look up but just for my general fittness

Always been bigger then normal through highschool, in 2008, 21 years old and had to buy some new clothes, went in and was buying xl/42-44" pants, thought fk this, started starving and cardio training. Went from 100kg to 65kg in a few months. Come to start of this year, playing bball sick of getting pushed around being so scrawny, signed up to gym and started lifting. No end goals, would love to be able to dunk or hang from the ring I guess, just enjoying lifting and beating pb's every week.