• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Partners

Sumo

I notice a lot of people training in the gym on their own (I have always trained as part of a group at Musclepit) and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on whether it is better to train alone or as a group (or with a training partner). I have always acheived more training as part of a team - whenever I have trained alone I have stagnated so I am very pro Training Partners but what are your thoughts and experiences?

I train alone for the most part but more for the convenience of home gym. Used to have my brother as a training partner which was great as we would constantly be trying to beat each other. Never had that same competitive vibe with anyone else, we were pretty evenly matched in the lifts and constantly battled to get one up on each other. He works fifo now and I miss having someone to pitch yourself against.

I train alone for the most part but more for the convenience of home gym. Used to have my brother as a training partner which was great as we would constantly be trying to beat each other. Never had that same competitive vibe with anyone else, we were pretty evenly matched in the lifts and constantly battled to get one up on each other. He works fifo now and I miss having someone to pitch yourself against.

Bloody FIFO - but yeah having someone to compete against gives a real edge to your training which obviously you wont get training on your own.

Much prefer a training partner.
At FF I had quite a big group of friends to choose from. Both older and younger people, BB'ers and PL'ers. Miss the environment.
Ptc I train alone.
At home I train alone.

Much prefer the company of training partners, especially since now I need spotters as my training is quite heavy.
Joining a local Plus Fitness to train with another guy who's lifts are similar to mine. Hoping it works out.

Wish i had a training buddy :(

a few friends train, but its just curling and they don't take it seriously. Even just a buddy on squat day would be nice :(

Can't say I have ever had a work put partner for lifting, but have always performed better in a team environment... One day I might found one...

Much prefer a training partner.
At FF I had quite a big group of friends to choose from. Both older and younger people, BB'ers and PL'ers. Miss the environment.
Ptc I train alone.
At home I train alone.

Much prefer the company of training partners, especially since now I need spotters as my training is quite heavy.
Joining a local Plus Fitness to train with another guy who's lifts are similar to mine. Hoping it works out.

Environment is a big factor good point Deep.

Hope your new training partner is ready for the pain - run him into the ground Deep

Wish i had a training buddy :(

a few friends train, but its just curling and they don't take it seriously. Even just a buddy on squat day would be nice :(

Should see if anyone in the forum is out your way who could train with you - just one day a week would make a huge difference but I hear you mate.

I train alone and think that I'm a better lifter for it. I occasionally have my mate around to train with and it's great to catch up but I feel at my strongest when I'm alone, I also have more motivation alone. In saying that, I wish I had a spotter when doing HEAVY sets.

Train with one of the guys downstairs at work for friday leg workouts

Deep whats days do you go to PTC ?

I train alone and think that I'm a better lifter for it. I occasionally have my mate around to train with and it's great to catch up but I feel at my strongest when I'm alone, I also have more motivation alone. In saying that, I wish I had a spotter when doing HEAVY sets.

Yes a spotter would help.

Do you feel you can focus better when you train on your own? I can understand that it might be easire to be a bit more focused and intense on your own.

Environment is a big factor good point Deep.

Hope your new training partner is ready for the pain - run him into the ground Deep
I dont think he has any idea what he has got himself into!

Deep whats days do you go to PTC ?

Some Saturdays. I used to go weeknights but I get stroppy when I cant get my own squat rack or am often seen throwing 30kg Asian girls off the lifting platform.

Yes a spotter would help.

Do you feel you can focus better when you train on your own? I can understand that it might be easire to be a bit more focused and intense on your own.

I'm a lot more focused on my own that's for sure. I know what I have to do and I get it done. It's just me, some iron and some heavy metal with abit of grunting :)

In gyms if I like the guys I find it hard not to have a chin wag with them. End up spending a good deal of time talking shit with people who's intentions are good and friendly but eat up a fair bit of my training time. When you only get a couple hours every other day it is nice to be able to get in and out with no distraction.

Training partners are good distractions not so much.

I dont think he has any idea what he has got himself into!

Some Saturdays. I used to go weeknights but I get stroppy when I cant get my own squat rack or am often seen throwing 30kg Asian girls off the lifting platform.

Well thats why you dont train with anyone at PTC, you kick them all of the racks. lol.

Way to many egos in the gyms for me....

my home gym is more then fine for me, Squat racks, Bench press, 5 bars and 300kg of mixed size plates and a big fuck of sound system.

Also reap the benifits of being able to train in my underwear in summer. Dont know how good that would go down at the local gym huh.

A keen training parnter would be good on the days i dont feel motivated, and somone to push you while training.

Better then my mates that come around, Do a few odd looking squats, couple curls then fill the place with ciggi smoke!

Strongman event training I found I really needed a training partner or group, powerlifting not so much.

In gyms if I like the guys I find it hard not to have a chin wag with them. End up spending a good deal of time talking shit with people who's intentions are good and friendly but eat up a fair bit of my training time. When you only get a couple hours every other day it is nice to be able to get in and out with no distraction.

Training partners are good distractions not so much.

That can be one of the disadvantages of training in a group something that Rod struggles with

Strongman event training I found I really needed a training partner or group, powerlifting not so much.

thats interesting - what do you think was different about strongman that made group training essential (compared to powerlifting)?