• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Trap Bar Deads

Bazza20

Had a play with these the other day. What are peoples thoughts on them?

Have read some people say its more like a squat than a deadlift but I didnt notice that. I seem to feel it a lot in my back especially lower back and lats. Which is strange because a lot of the negativity towards it is because it takes the back out of the lift and puts it on the quads.

Interesting, i might have to give these a try and see, i guess in some ways it may help as the weight you have slightly further back and central then with a straight bar where the bar goes across your shins, not sure if thats a good or bad thing?

I used to use it at the gym for deads when my back was playing up a bit it seems to take the strain of the low back. I have to say it felt like halfway between a squat and a conventional DL. I would like one at home so I can load it up for shrugs I hate barbell shrugs.

If it's good enough for KK it's good enough for me.
I've seen two different forms, one where you stick your ass way back like you would in a deadlift (which seems to be what you're doing if you can feel it in your lower back) and another form where the hip are dropped low and it's more like a leg press

One thing though is they often can't hold a lot of weight. My gym the plates are quite thick so you can only get 5 plates a side on it. If the plates were thinner then I think you could only get 6 plates a side on max. I seem to be able to trap bar deadlift a lot more than I can with a straight bar so because of the weight you can get on there being the limiting factor I'd only do them standing on a plate to make the ROM larger

I've seen two different forms, one where you stick your ass way back like you would in a deadlift (which seems to be what you're doing if you can feel it in your lower back) and another form where the hip are dropped low and it's more like a leg press

One thing though is they often can't hold a lot of weight. My gym the plates are quite thick so you can only get 5 plates a side on it. If the plates were thinner then I think you could only get 6 plates a side on max. I seem to be able to trap bar deadlift a lot more than I can with a straight bar so because of the weight you can get on there being the limiting factor I'd only do them standing on a plate to make the ROM larger

Can you video that?

The ABC trap bar can hold 270+, I say "plus" cos I only have 270 in Olympic plates and not all are 20s. Same goes with my $99 trap bar.

I'd also like to see this 5 plate deficit trap bar dead, hell even the 5 plate without the deficit. Also note that this is for the bottom handle in case there are two handles on your trap bar =)

They're also good for neutral grip oh pressing and bench pressing if your lucky enough to have a rackable bar or smart enough to figure out a way to use them as such.

Can you video that?

I'd love to demonstrate the two kinds of form for you but I don't have access to that gym any more :(

The ABC trap bar can hold 270+, I say "plus" cos I only have 270 in Olympic plates and not all are 20s. Same goes with my $99 trap bar.

I'd also like to see this 5 plate deficit trap bar dead, hell even the 5 plate without the deficit. Also note that this is for the bottom handle in case there are two handles on your trap bar =)

I didn't say that I could do a 5 plate deficit trap bar deadlift. I said that I could only fit 5 plates a side on the trap bar and that if I did them as a lift I'd do them from a deficit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMNEDxWRHg]Trap Bar Deadlift 225kgs - 500lb - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe there are other kinds of trap bars but the one's that I have seen only hold 5 plates a side
I would imagine bazza can pull a lot more than that
Pulling from a deficit would be the best option for him because of this
I hope this makes it clear

Excellent for farmers walks.

Not the best as an actual deadlift substitute for me.
Is an excellent substitue if you have freakishly long legs though.

I forgot about that video of KK doing them. He does them with a very similar style as his normal deadlifting. Thats the way I do them. If I drop the hips right down it doesn't feel right and I am no wear near as strong.

Excellent for farmers walks.

Not the best as an actual deadlift substitute for me.
Is an excellent substitue if you have freakishly long legs though.

I have no intention of replacing normal deads with these. Will do them as an extra.

I didn't say that I could do a 5 plate deficit trap bar deadlift. I said that I could only fit 5 plates a side on the trap bar and that if I did them as a lift I'd do them from a deficit.

Well you can supposedly "trap bar deadlift a lot more than I can with a straight bar", and going off your 190 straight bar dead I just wonder now what you consider "a lot". You also mentioned space for plates being the limiting factor, which is where I got the 5 plate lift; the maximum number of plates you can fit on the trap bar you used to have access to.

Also the video is of a trap bar with raised handles, probably ~4 inches higher. So off course a person can lift more thanks to shorter ROM and probably a better starting position.

Also the form reminds me of this quote:

"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back. Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion," - Peter Griffin =)

Oh and sorry Bazza, I forgot to answer you. Yeah I think they are great tool, especially for assistance or a way to train around injuries.

Did you not read my two other posts that explained what I was talking about?

I do them. Hits my legs and hamstrings more not my back. Conventional deads hit my lower back (erectors) hard, doesn't happen with hex/trap bar deads.

Only thing I find off putting is the full extension, you don't have the bar dragging up your legs. When I push my hips forward in a conv dead the bar is there, it's not with the hex bar so you have to be mindful, or it feels like you need to be mindful of hyper extending

Just my 2c

I like them, just different.