• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Very Simple Cutting Question/s

Snoochies

I'm doing my first ever cut. I have trained with weights for along time and has generally been sports specific or just general strength.

I have the diet and macros and what not sorted for the cut and am now on my 3rd week and am feeling the fatigue set in. Simple fact is, working 10 hour days and coming home to do fatherly duties, cook, bath kids etc, the only time to workout is at night around 8pm, but have to be up the next morning at 4.30am. By that time of night, on this cut I am finding it hard to give myself the motivation/energy to hit the weights (I have a rack at home)

2 Questions:

1. Quite simply, what is the best workout to do on a cut? The beginner program on here, 5x5, starting strength, considering the time I have available.
2. What else besides a cup of coffee can help boost energy before my workout, considering that I have already eaten dinner before hand. Family thing.

Any help for a busy dad would be appreciated.

Cheers

1. High intensity (heavy weight) / low volume, something like the exercises from starting strength but rather than trying to increase the weight each workout, you are trying to maintain your current strength levels or maybe make some very marginal gains. You may even want to do something like:

Mon: 3x5 heavy, Wed: 2x5 moderate, Fri: 1x3-5 max

2. Coffee and a banana sounds about right to me.

1. High intensity (heavy weight) / low volume, something like the exercises from starting strength but rather than trying to increase the weight each workout, you are trying to maintain your current strength levels or maybe make some very marginal gains. You may even want to do something like:

Mon: 3x5 heavy, Wed: 2x5 moderate, Fri: 1x3-5 max

2. Coffee and a banana sounds about right to me.

Most def, but I'd still be shooting for progression and cutting out fatty foods and Eat lots of vegetables and nuts.
Lots.

Think like a gorilla.

5/3/1 condensed to 2 days a week maybe an option.

Day 1 - Deadlift and military Press

Day 2 - Squat and Bench

With a couple of accessory movements after.

An espresso with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of creatine, while drinking read some posts on on here to get hyped up a bit, usually charges me up enough to get my arse off the couch.
Be minful, someone on here metioned that creatie in a hot beverage may loose its qualities, I still do it though.
As for the program, I cant comment, looking for a new one myself.

An espresso with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of creatine, while drinking read some posts on on here to get hyped up a bit, usually charges me up enough to get my arse off the couch.
Be minful, someone on here metioned that creatie in a hot beverage may loose its qualities, I still do it though.
As for the program, I cant comment, looking for a new one myself.

really i got told only way to take creatine is with hot water it disolves completely after stir. didnt know it looses its quality.

Just man up and eat the creatine if you are going to have it, have never dissolved it in my life.

PS your schedule looks tough.

Not sure I would be cooking and bathing kids if I was getting up at 4:30am and working ten hour days., unless your misses gets up at 3:30 and works 12 hour days of course.

I seriously think you need to train earlier, and be a bit selfish, you only really want 40 minutes to an hour 3-4 times a week to train, really even if you train 6 hours a week it's not a lot to ask out of a whole week.

I'm doing my first ever cut. I have trained with weights for along time and has generally been sports specific or just general strength.

I have the diet and macros and what not sorted for the cut and am now on my 3rd week and am feeling the fatigue set in. Simple fact is, working 10 hour days and coming home to do fatherly duties, cook, bath kids etc, the only time to workout is at night around 8pm, but have to be up the next morning at 4.30am. By that time of night, on this cut I am finding it hard to give myself the motivation/energy to hit the weights (I have a rack at home)

2 Questions:

1. Quite simply, what is the best workout to do on a cut? The beginner program on here, 5x5, starting strength, considering the time I have available.
2. What else besides a cup of coffee can help boost energy before my workout, considering that I have already eaten dinner before hand. Family thing.

Any help for a busy dad would be appreciated.

Cheers

First, if you are feeling that lethargic its pretty likely you have dropped your calories too low. If you are in a slight deficit you shouldn't really feel any different. What weight are you and what calories are you eating.

1. Training should stay the same as what worked before your cut.

2. Caffeine for a boost of energy before a workout. But it all points to too low calories being the low energy problem.

Thanks for the input. Been doing it for 4 weeks now and have found the sweet spot so to speak. My Monday is now Saturday. Basically workouts are Saturday, Monday, Wednesday. Figured I have alot more time on the weekend so may as well put a workout in there and instead of working out after dinner late I do it when I get home and try and babysit at the same time. My wife is pregnant with our second kid (yay) so she's going through the sick stage at the moment.

Anyway, I have a TV in my gym room and put the cartoons on and let my little man come and do some pullups in between my sets. So setting a good example and involving him in my workouts :)

As far as calories go, seems to be spot on now. I was eating alot prior so maybe needed time to adjust, 3kg gone in 4 weeks so pretty happy. Decided to squat 2 times per week instead of 3 and feel better for it.

So now rotuine seems set I hope I can remove this flubber for once.

Cheers