• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vitamins may block benefits of exercise: study

A

Ace_82

An Interesting read:

From The West Australian

Vitamins may block benefits of exercise: study

Taking vitamins C and E after a workout appears to prevent physical exercise improving the body's energy regulation, a study found.

Exercise is known to increase the effects of the hormone insulin, which keeps blood sugar levels in balance which is vital for energy and it appears that supplements of vitamin C and E may block this beneficial effect of exercise, the new findings suggest.
Destructive "free radical" molecules called reactive oxygen species (ROS) can damage cells and DNA, and speed up ageing and are produced in large numbers during vigorous exercise.
However these molecules are also used by the body to prevent cellular damage after exercising and vitamins such as C and E neutralise their effects, it has been found.
Researchers compared two groups of 20 men who took 85-minute exercise sessions five days a week for a month. One group took daily vitamin C and E supplements during their training and the other did not.
The researchers report that men who consumed antioxidant supplements showed no changes in their reactive oxygen levels, whereas those who did not take antioxidant showed an increase in the formation of the free radicals.
After four weeks of training, the men who did not take antioxidant supplements were shown to be sensitive to the effects of insulin and the men on the supplements were not.
The authors show that reactive oxygen likely has a positive effect on the body by increasing insulin sensitivity, and this effect is blocked by the consumption of antioxidant vitamins.
Dr Michael Ristow, from the University of Jena in Germany, and colleagues wrote in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: "We find that antioxidant supplements prevent the induction of molecular regulators of insulin sensitivity and endogenous antioxidant defence by physical exercise.
"We propose that transiently increased levels of oxidative stress reflect a potentially health-promoting process, at least in regards to prevention of insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes mellitus."
BERLIN
THE TELEGRAPH GROUP

There is so much contradictory studies these day's it's hard to know what to beleive.

i saw this on another forum. whats the deal what can we do how the f are we to know what to do?

If you have a well balanced diet you shouldn't required extra vitamins anyway.

Vitamins can only be off benefit if dietry intake is inadequate.

*sigh* more badly formed research. What type of exercise? what was the goal of the exercise? What were they eating besides taking the supplements? What age? etc etc. Too much missing information, and it seems the research is focused on the effects of vitamin supplements on insulin regulation. Ok fair enough how does that affect someones ability to body build or get fitter - they have not made a connection. This kind of stuff just shits me - at the end of the day if I eat reasonably well and exercise hard and DON'T take supplements I tend to feel like I'm getting sick etc. If I take the supplements I lift better and feel better - the proof is in the results YOU get.....not some results taken from a random group of gomers who were probably 1000kg and trying to lose weight.