• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

weighted pull ups

Flea

So Ive been doing alot of wide grip pull ups of late, Im at the stage now that I can do 5x5 with about 30sec rest between comfortably, Id like to step it up a notch I was thinking of going for 5x7 or doing them weighted and staying to the 5x5..?

what would be better adding more reps or adding weight?
also if weight is the go anyone got any ideas on how to attatch the weight to my self :D

I reckon adding weight.

If you bend your legs at your knees you can use a chain to thread some weights and use with a clip and loop it around your parallel to floor part of your legs.

Also you can try different grips and hanging positions. Have you tried I am Legend behind the neck pull ups?

If you can do 5x 5, work it up to 10x 5. Then you'll probably be able to do 5x 8-10.

Once you can do sets of 10 or more, then you can add weight. I advise that because I got up to 3x 12, added a miserable 10kg, and could only manage sets of 5.

So if you're only just managing to do sets of 5-7, if you add 10kg you might only be able to do 1 or 2. Which would mean it takes you a while to get a total of 20+ in a workout.

But really you have to try it, everyone's different.

In my case, I put a bench under the chinning bar and put a dumbell on it. I then hooked the back of my feet into the dumbell and pulled it out, so that my lower legs were curled in a bit, and my heels supported the dumbell.

Other people get regular old weightlifter's belts, a bit of rope and slide it through a plate.

cheers K
the reason I was thinking of 5x5 with weight is that I was looking at the stronglifts 5x5 program..

I thought stronglifts would suggest barbell rows or something instead? But hey, give it a go. Maybe you'll be stronger than me and do it no worries, quite possible, not like I am that strong :)

I think that every couple of months it's worth having a look at your workout, and maybe having a session where you try out some new exercises, not pushing yourself, just experimenting and seeing what does what and how you feel. I did that a few weeks back and changed my workout, new one's working well so far.

What kind of bad back? I have a lumbar scoliosis so that one spinal erector is crazy-strong and the other weak as piss. Doing high reps and low weights in squats, rows and presses has strengthened it overall. This was with advice from my physio, of course - "no, no deadlifts!" "But -" "No!"

add some weight and see how you go, if you cant rep it go back to BW and get up to 10 reps before trying again. trial and error baby

Ignore the 5 x 5 program. If you have a bad back, you cant squat, pull or clean, the most important and basic exercises.

For chins, the most progressive program I have used is the Ladder technique.

In order, do this...1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 reps, thats 55 reps. It works best with training partners. If you cant do that many, try this 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5

Thats 45 reps. it helped my wife get to 16 dead hang wide grip chins.

Ignore the 5 x 5 program. If you have a bad back, you cant squat, pull or clean, the most important and basic exercises.

For chins, the most progressive program I have used is the Ladder technique.

In order, do this...1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 reps, thats 55 reps. It works best with training partners. If you cant do that many, try this 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5

Thats 45 reps. it helped my wife get to 16 dead hang wide grip chins.

Just to clarify for my dumb brain...you add weight so your first set is a 1RM, rest, adjust to do a 2RM set, rest, adjust weight 3RM set etc etc thats sounds good, but think il have to start with 1234512345.

do u recommend this for any other excercises?

No weight.

Lets asume there are 2-3 of you doing this together, Bill and Bob.

Bill does 1 rep, hops down, Bob does 1 rep, hops down, Bill does 2 reps, hops down, Bob does 2 reps, hops down, Bill does 3 reps, hops down, Bob only manages 2 reps, next set he starts back at 1, Bill does 4 reps, hops down, Bob does 1 rep, hops down, Bill does 5 reps, Bob does 2 reps, Bill does 1 rep, Bob does 3 reps etc.

My clients get to around 12-14 reps before they fail. Thats over 105 reps. Great finish to a session. The more involved, the more rest you get, the more "rungs" you climb. I have had up to 7 lifters doing it.

as much as I love heavy weights, not sure if you guys noticed, when it comes to chin, I love bodyweight, but doing little things to make it harder.

Some things we do at PTC in regards to chins.

Wide grip chins
Close grip chins
Towell chins
Roman Rings
Ladder chins
Chins with weight
Chins with Mr T
Chin dips....these are nuts and dangerous, 1 arm on the chin bar, one on the dip bar, good luck. Only ever done at PTC, for good reason.
Chins with 2 Rolling Thunder handles
Mixed grip chins
Variation of one arm chin, free hand pulling on wrist, very easy.
Chins with Bands
Chins with chains

No need to add a 10kg DB, start with a 5kg one, work toward sets of 10 reps, once you reach 10, keep upping the DB weight until you can't achieve 10 reps and work toward that.