• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what are peoples oppinions on bulking/cutting for the beginner or where someone is at

pumpiniron

Obviouslly someone that is skinny needs to bulk and for a long period of time, so they can have the muscle mass to support A cutting/ sculpting resume.

But How do you feel about people that start of skinny/fat, you know the ones that are skinny/small but still have a fair bit of body fat *the skinny fat look*> I have heard that they should cut the body fat first before a bulk, because beginning a bulk with a fair bit of body fat, will just get you more fat towards the end.

So basically you shouldnt do a bulk, unless ur particulary lean/skinny/low body fat to begin with.

And there are other that are pritty fat to begin with, obviouslly they cant do a bulk, so they should eat under maintenance until they get down to atleast 10-15% body fat, before even considering doing a bulk.

What are ur oppinions? Most important one is the skinny fat person, do you think they should lose there body fat first before bulking?

Thanx.

Obviouslly someone that is skinny needs to bulk and for a long period of time, so they can have the muscle mass to support A cutting/ sculpting resume.

But How do you feel about people that start of skinny/fat, you know the ones that are skinny/small but still have a fair bit of body fat *the skinny fat look*> I have heard that they should cut the body fat first before a bulk, because beginning a bulk with a fair bit of body fat, will just get you more fat towards the end.

So basically you shouldnt do a bulk, unless ur particulary lean/skinny/low body fat to begin with.

And there are other that are pritty fat to begin with, obviouslly they cant do a bulk, so they should eat under maintenance until they get down to atleast 10-15% body fat, before even considering doing a bulk.

What are ur oppinions? Most important one is the skinny fat person, do you think they should lose there body fat first before bulking?

Thanx.

Skinny-fat should bulk. Having some fat is anabolic anyway. Slowly the increased muscle mass will make their energy systems more efficient and the fat will begin to burn off anyway with a clean diet and lots of training. Cutting first just seems like 2 steps back then 1 step forward.

After doing cycles of bulking and cutting for years, I have come to the conclusion that clean bulking is where it is at.

i.e. A long, slow bulk, where you gain maybe 2-3kgs of fat tops, followed by a 6-8 week cut to lose that fat.

For beginners, they can lose the fat and gain muscle at the same time anyway, so again, clean bulking would be my suggestion.

I am no longer a fan of all out bulks, but cutting before you have even built any muscle is pretty pointless, as beginners can lose that fat while they gain anyway.

The term clean bulk is meaningless. I am assuming you mean a slow bulk, with calories not much over maintenance.

After doing cycles of bulking and cutting for years, I have come to the conclusion that clean bulking is where it is at.

i.e. A long, slow bulk, where you gain maybe 2-3kgs of fat tops, followed by a 6-8 week cut to lose that fat.

For beginners, they can lose the fat and gain muscle at the same time anyway, so again, clean bulking would be my suggestion.

I am no longer a fan of all out bulks, but cutting before you have even built any muscle is pretty pointless, as beginners can lose that fat while they gain anyway.

this.
Im aiming for no more than 1kg a month in bodyweight gain.

and yes bazza pistachio means clean bulk as in minimal fat gains.

Interesting, my coach has me cutting, i weighed 85 kilos 5 weeks ago when i started with him....i am 176 cm, altho i still have a bit of body fat to lose........... i now weigh 77 kilos and im starting to look skinny.

When i first started with him, i was under the impression he would have me bulking to start because im not that big, but he had me begin cutting. Now i weigh 77 kilos and im starting to look skinny *but still have a bit of body fat to get rid of*> i have asked him if im ready to do a bulk yet......... he said no your not ready for that yet, also he said not to worry about bulkin yet because that is the next step towards reaching my goals, and im still at step 1 *cutting*.

So im under the impression he wants me to get at a lower body fat before i can bulk> even tho im starting to get skinny.

Last edited:
I would suggest if they are a newbie just starting out then they should be able to build muscle and drop some body fat seeing as their body isnt used to lifting weights, as they get more experienced i would think they then enter the cutting and bulking phases.

Interesting, my coach has me cutting, i weighed 85 kilos 5 weeks ago when i started with him....i am 176 cm, altho i still have a bit of body fat to lose........... i now weigh 77 kilos and im starting to look skinny.

When i first started with him, i was under the impression he would have me bulking to start because im not that big, but he had me begin cutting. Now that i weigh 77 kilos and started to look skinny *but still have a bad of body fat to get rid of* i have asked him if im ready to do a bulk yet......... he said no your not ready for that yet.

So im under the impression he wants me to get at a lower body fat before i can bulk again> even tho im starting to get skinny now.

I thought Scott Abel made magic happen

I thought Scott Abel made magic happen

I have discussed this with many of his clients on his forums, they have told me scotts methods may go against everything you think you know about bodybuilding but the fact is that hes transformed beginners into bodybuilding champions, so he knows what he is doing.

I have discussed this with many of his clients on his forums, they have told me scotts methods may go against everything you think you know about bodybuilding but the fact is that hes transformed beginners into bodybuilding champions, so he knows what he is doing.

Well if he is that good why are you asking us plebs this stuff then

Just wanted oppinions from other people,not arguments. I was really confused when i first started...... thinking i dont understand why he has me cutting, i wanna get big not small. But a range of his clients reckon, bulking with a fair bit of bodyfat to begin with, will only lead to getting fat and i should lean out before bulking.

just do what your coach tells you. Otherwise whats the point of having a coach and not doing what he says lol.

The term clean bulk is meaningless. I am assuming you mean a slow bulk, with calories not much over maintenance.

Player is correct, I mean clean bulk as in slow bulk with minimal fat gain. Doesn't mean you can't eat junk food or whatever, just that it is not an 'eat whatever you like and gain 20kgs of which 60% is fat' bulk.

Sounds like you need one of those 15000 calorie days.

And agree with El Freako.

Pistachio: I think the term you are referring to is "FULKING". Moderate surplus is the go for a "clean" bulk for sure. I was aiming for .5kg per week being that the maximum amount of muscle one could hope to gain per month would be about 1lb per month according to most sources. (2.5years training experience)
What’s My Genetic Muscular Potential? | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Just wanted oppinions from other people,not arguments. I was really confused when i first started...... thinking i dont understand why he has me cutting, i wanna get big not small. But a range of his clients reckon, bulking with a fair bit of bodyfat to begin with, will only lead to getting fat and i should lean out before bulking.

He thinks you are too fat obviously. If you had patience you could do a straight recomp by eating maintenance and slowly dropping bf and increasing muscle but it takes a while and needs patience. He probably thinks that, as with nearly everyone, you won't have the patience for a method like that so he is making you get leaner first. He may not even believe in recomp but either way just follow what he says. Each method leads to the same final result some are just a tad quicker.