• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Currently having a blast with Canditos Linear Strength Control program.

Monday Lower: Squats, Deadlift. Accessorise with GHR, Leg Press, Bulgarian Splits
Tuesday Upper: Bench, OHP, DB Rows. Accessorise with Machine Rows (all variations), Dips, Cable Flyes, Facepulls, Rear Delt flyes

Thursday Lower Control: Paused Squats, Paused Deadlift. Accessories with Lunges, Overhead/Front Squats, Leg Press Unilateral
Friday Upper Control: Paused Bench, Paused Rows. Accessories with High Rep OHP, High rep rows or pullups, Curls, Lat Raises.

Sat: Bro sesh or Cardio if I feel like it.

Add 5lbs every week until progress fully milked. Deload (lol) every 2 months by reducing volume (not intensity) by about half.

4 day split (legs, push, pull, other). Then a week A/B split.

Week A Day 1 (Quads first, then hamstrings. Back squat focused.)
Week A Day 2 (Chest first, then triceps. Flat bench focused.)
Week A Day 3 (Back first, then biceps. Wipe grip focused.)
Week A Day 4 (Shoulders first, then calves. Barbell and cable focused.)

Week B Day 1 (Hamstrings first, the quads. Front squat and deadlift focused.)
Week B Day 2 (Triceps first, then chest. Incline press focused.)
Week B Day 3 (Biceps first, then back. Narrow grip focused.)
Week B Day 4 (Calves first, then shoulders. Dumbbell focused.)

On the weekend I'll go hiking if I can fit it in. Also once a week I do a Body Pump class to do a full body workout.

Last edited:
walk in , lift weights, leave...

Nah, having 3 weeks off, focussing on basic BB routine, before getting back into cycles number 2 of cube method

Upper/lower split, 6 days a week when I can (which is consistently the case for the next 3 or so months). Reverse pyramids for main lifts (if I can safely do so -- can't really do that for wrapped squats because I get out of the groove, so I'm more likely to do a regular pyramid for them or just do another squat variation), 3+ sets for assistance exercises, 1-20 reps per set, 4 hours rest between sets. I try to keep everything balanced, so for every set of anterior chain work I do a set of posterior chain work around the same joints. Lots of pull ups, rows and deadlifts to balance lots of bench press, overhead press and squats. 18 trillion sets of calf raises for my pov chicken legs.

Currently, I can workout often but not for long. So I do one lift a day.
Sunday - bench 5 reps x 3 sets
Monday - squat 5x3
Tuesday - press 5x3
Wednesday - deadlift x5
progressing each weekly.

After that, if on any of Thursday, Friday or Saturday I feel like doing something, I will - and just whatever I feel like. Did dead stop bench press in the rack the other day, brutal.

As with any exercise routine you should switch up your exercises every 6-9 weeks. Each exercise although targeting the same area actually works the muscles a bit different, so by changing them around you give your muscles a wider range of movement and therefore building the entire muscle.

Are you only working your upper body? Or were you just using the curls as an example? If your working your full body you can alternate changing your routines around instead of a whole new routine every 9 weeks. For example work in one or two new ab exercises this week, 2 new should exercises next week etc.

This way you body will also the added value of new exercises with the old for a few weeks, then the new exercises with new exercises for a few weeks. This will realy give your muscles a good workout.

Don't forget too, that nutrition is as important as your exercises so be sure to eat healthy meals that include lean protein.

Monday-chest
flat bench
incline bench
decline bench
flyes

tuesday-back and traps

barbell rows
dumbell rows
romanian deadlifts
wide grip pull ups

barbell shrugs
dumbell shrugs

wednesdays-triceps
close grip bench press
dumbell kickbacks
skullcrushers
seated dips

thursday-biceps and forearms
barbell curls
alternating dumbell curls
ez bar curls
hammer curls

barbell wrist curls
barbell reverse wrist curls

friday-delts
front raises
side lateral raises
bent over laterals
upright rows

saturday-legs
squats
deadlifts
leg press
hamstring curls
leg extensions any of those are good

Last edited:
GSLP (Modified)

Workout A
Bench 2x5,1xAmrap
Rows 2x15
Squats 3x5
Curls 2x15

Workout B
OH Press 2x5,1xAmrap
Pull Ups 1x10,1xAmrap
Deadlifts 1x5
Lat Raises 2x20

Thinking of switching to PPL or Shortcut to Shred at some stage.

I'm currently doing full body every other day, I have 4 workouts that I rotate each day that consists of a horizontal push/pull variation superset, vertical push/pull variation superset, compound leg movement supersetted with an isolation movement, bi/tri/calf superset......I also rotate which major body part I start with each workout. I do a total of 3 sets per movement including warm ups, last set to failure, no set rep range just mix it up a bit.....will keep this up till Xmas and have a couple of weeks off.

Time to post up your routines..
What are you doing these days including warm ups and stretching if applicable? ��

Looking at starting Wendler's 5/3/1 training but I have a small issue I was messing around with the calculations to have a look at what my workouts would look like.

If I was to follow Wendler's instructions to the letter I would be working below my 3 rep max as my 1 rep max lift for 16 weeks, strong no thanks to that. For those who don't know the 5/3/1 calculations this is because he ends up taking 85% of your 1RM as your heaviest set for the month,

I'll give you an example of what's going on here using my bench press

Heaviest I've ever lifted is 100kg for 4 reps = 1RM of 109kg

Using Wendler's 90% model that becomes 98kg then using his 95% model for 1+ set in week 3 that weight becomes 92.50kg, which I can do for about 6 reps

Then using his 2.5kg increase method it means I won't be approaching my 4RM (actual not theoretical) for my 1+ set for 16 weeks (4 cycles), That's an absurd waste of time IMO.

Having said that I haven't read his book so maybe there is a justification for this.

I'm happy to be working in the lower % for the bulk of the program and slowly build the strength over time but to spend 4 months working at weights below what I'm already capable of seems like a waste to me.

So I played around with the calculations so at least my first month is working from my 3 rep max as my week 3 1+ set which I can handle.

Also going to use seated barbell press instead of standing because I prefer it.

Interested in any thoughts on the matter :) Thanks

I have read both 5 3 1 and Beyond and based on the advice and feedback Jim has given on T Nation on the forum. I would say it is a bad idea. However I have Literally just started the program last week so my 2 cents may only be worth 1 cent or less !! The program is designed for you to use submaximal weight for more reps to get strong. The advice usually given is that you should be able to hit 5 reps on your heaviest set of the 1+ week. If you don't then your TM max is too high. Based on what you said about getting 6 reps with 92.5 then it seems about bang on. The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it. Also there are options on 531 to train reps with your TM and even heavier than your TM. The Ebooks are only $10 each, they give lots of program options and I rekon worth a read. There is however a new book due out soon that apparently replaces these with a better way to program so if money is tight maybe wait for that.

I have read both 5 3 1 and Beyond and based on the advice and feedback Jim has given on T Nation on the forum. I would say it is a bad idea. However I have Literally just started the program last week so my 2 cents may only be worth 1 cent or less !! The program is designed for you to use submaximal weight for more reps to get strong. The advice usually given is that you should be able to hit 5 reps on your heaviest set of the 1+ week. If you don't then your TM max is too high. Based on what you said about getting 6 reps with 92.5 then it seems about bang on. The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it. Also there are options on 531 to train reps with your TM and even heavier than your TM. The Ebooks are only $10 each, they give lots of program options and I rekon worth a read. There is however a new book due out soon that apparently replaces these with a better way to program so if money is tight maybe wait for that.
Ok that's interesting I hadn't read anywhere that the 1+ set was actually meant to get to 5 reps. If that's the case then I'll follow the program to the letter :)

Thanks a lot for posting that

I'm into the fullbody 4 day split with 531 and SS as accessories and finish off with a Max OT on odd days