• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats the dif between standing military press and seated military press?

Quite obvious really isn't it.....

You just use a little more stabaliser muscles in standing, but can be a little looser on form too.

You could also ask:

Whats the difference between standing dumbbell curls and seated dumbbell curls....

What's the difference between standing calf raises and seated calf raises?????????????????? Does one by chance work the biceps?

Well actually seated calf raises work more on the soleus, standing more on the gastrocnemius.

Not sure if my spelling is correct for those muscles.

For calf development, standing is greater than seated calf raise.
But do both if you can.

depending on the equipment you have available, seated military press may allow you to lifit more. In the standing one you have to lift the bar from the floor most times and get it into position, whereas with the seated, you can lift the bar from the forks and therefore go straight into the movement with heavier weight.

Or if you are tall and the ceiling in your gym is too low, the seated military press is the only option. Unless I want to go outside :)

Quite obvious really isn't it.....

You just use a little more stabaliser muscles in standing, but can be a little looser on form too.

You could also ask:

Whats the difference between standing dumbbell curls and seated dumbbell curls....

I always found standing to be easier to be honest. When I get near failure, I catch myself rocking a bit and use the moment to help complete reps.

But when seat I don't tend to do this.

I find standing press easier too, even when cleaning the weight from the floor.
Still strict form though, no bounce with the legs.

The reason i asked was in a previous post someone complained about pussies who dont do standing military press. I basically wanted to know if they were that much superior(compared to seated).

No seated is easier, as it supports your back and allows you to lift heavier. That's from my experience anyway.

im no phd in military press.

But i believe in standing military press you are standing up and in seated military press you are sitting down.

lol ^

Although howzit is probably long gone I will also dispute their post on 2 points
1/ standing MP the legs and back support the weight, whereas seated it is just the spine
2/ seated you break the kinetic chain from the floor (kinda like feet up bench press) so I'd tip you would lose a couple of kgs versus standing

The "military" press is performed standing feet together and legs straight with no movement from the lower body.

Seated press is performed, well- sitting down, the exercise is even better when the bar is pressed behind the neck.

No such thing as a seated military press.

Performing the press sitting down allows one to focus on their shoulder, one must be careful not to arch the back and not lock elbows at the top of the movement.

Performing the press sitting down allows one to focus on their shoulder, one must be careful not to arch the back and not lock elbows at the top of the movement.

That's by far the most common mistake I see people make when performing and over head pressing variation.

is arching the upper back fine? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0Ya0s5pR4]Jim Wendler - Military Press 225x11 - YouTube[/ame]

That is the reason why the press was dropped from powerlifting, the lift turned into a standing bench press.

The safest way of pressing is to have the hands facing about shoulder width apart, the arms all the way down by your side, push up, tilt you head slightly back as the bar passes the nose, (the closer the bar stay to the body the better) the bar must end the movement with it directly above the head or just behind, and without locking the elbow bring it s l o w l y down to the starting position and repeat.

The one arm dumb-bell press with the other hand holding on to something or on the hip is a very good exercise to perform to teach proper pressing technique.