• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When should you wear a belt?

McKwl

Overloaded Member
That's the question.

I don't even own one, and I'm not lifting big yet, I must admit. But I don't want to risk anything I don't have to.

Currently squatting ~125 and deadlifting ~165, and I honestly have no idea when a belt would be necessary... if ever! :)

TIA.

edit: Maybe this should go in the Equipment forum... :/

I pretty much always wear a belt on work sets of squats, regardless of whether or not it's a heavy weight or the volume. I think it's better to learn to use a belt before you need one, because it is a different experience to lifting without a belt, and can be pretty awkward at first. Once you get used to it, it allows more progression than beltless lifting seems to, at least in my experience.

I pretty much always wear a belt on work sets of squats, regardless of whether or not it's a heavy weight or the volume. I think it's better to learn to use a belt before you need one, because it is a different experience to lifting without a belt, and can be pretty awkward at first. Once you get used to it, it allows more progression than beltless lifting seems to, at least in my experience.

No. It is a good idea to learn a belt but using it in every work set just turns it into a crutch. You will become a far stronger lifter by remaining beltless during most of your working volume. This will allow a greater development of core strength and will allow you to gain even more out of the belt when you put it on.

I put it on when it starts to feel like I'm struggling for form or reps. Usually around 85% of my max. You shouldn't really use it for less than that, as far as I'm concerned.

You'll know when you need a belt.

I hardly ever use a belt in training now. Really only use it when going for a true max lift. Maybe once every month or 2. I think doing this has helped my lifts.

No. It is a good idea to learn a belt but using it in every work set just turns it into a crutch. You will become a far stronger lifter by remaining beltless during most of your working volume. This will allow a greater development of core strength and will allow you to gain even more out of the belt when you put it on.
Not according to this guy:
Gary Gibson11-22-2009, 07:42 PM

I am so sick of the belt-bashing.

Belts are a legitimate training tool that help you get stronger faster.

A couple days ago I was heading to the water fountain after a set of squats. An acquaintance at the gym stopped me and asked "Gary, what's happened to your stomach? It didn't used to bulge out like that."

What he was witnessing was my powerlifter "mono-ab." I'd been using a belt and squatting increasingly heavier loads and--gasp!--my abs were growing!

Yet according to all the internet chatter, the midsection "goes to sleep because of reliance on the belt."

Wake up call to all the internet geniuses out there: The belt allows one to squat more weight NOT because it provides rebound...and not because the belt itself increases the necessary intra-abdominal pressure. The belt gives the abs something to push against so that the ABS THEMSELVES can provide more pressure. The belt just allows the abs to generate more tension by providing external resistance...just like a freaking weighted barbell on your back allows you to generate more tension than just flexing your lower body muscles really hard without the barbell as you stand up.

I repeat: a belt allows the midsection to work HARDER.

A belt is not a crutch; it is a training tool, much like proper footwear in the squat.

Weighted sit ups will build up abs, but so will strapping on a belt and doing heavy low bar squats. The belt gives you the additional benefit of training the abs as they will be used in the movement.

No, you will not be able to use as much weight in the low bar/bent over squat without the belt. But your beltless squat WILL improve even if you train with the belt all the time. It's easy to forget to pressurize the midsection properly if you're used to the tactile cue that the belt provides and are suddenly without it...but a couple of reps should be sufficient to remind you that you have to push OUT your abs and stay tight through the midsection.

You still won't be able to squat as much without the belt because it's just not possible to build up as much tension without something pushing back. Just remember that even with the belt, it is YOUR abs providing the tension, not the belt. Just like it is YOUR muscles providing the tension, not the bar against which they're pushing.

Feel free to disregard this little post and still poo-poo the belt as a crutch. But you won't get as strong in the low bar squat without the belt as quickly as you could with it.

Or, for a less abridged, less ranty, more reasoned article on the same matter by the same author refer to: http://startingstrength.com/articles/baby_bathwater_gear_gibson.pdf

No one said the belt was a crutch but people need to learn how to properly use their abdominals, obliques, lower abdominals and pelvic floor so they can stabalise their own spine.

I can tell you right now not many people know how to use them all properly.

Leave a belt for when you have mastered that, and only for heavy sets.

I personally think that a belt aids correct execution of the squat and should be worn almost as soon as the lifter progresses to weights where they are starting to have to grind out lifts. Just very loosely. It teaches you to use the belt correctly. I put on a belt and have it fairly loose on all sets over 70%. I feel very secure when I do this. In the past I have felt "bear" without the belt and normal with the belt. I try my hardest to keep this the opposite way around and when I start to feel bear without the belt I will start wearing it at 75% for a while.

I don't let my lifters squat with a belt until the have squatted 140kg, UNLESS they are training for PL comps.

I don't recommend a belt for conventional deadlifts.

lol @ VOn

nothing wrong with belts. A little silly if you're using them on DLs and Squats <100kg though, as this sort of weight should not be a hassle at all. Really good when you're getting closer to 1-5RMs and you feel form could be compromised.

I used to use a belt with 2 prong buckle and its a pain in the ass putting on and off. Quick release belts & lever belts are the way to go. Make it a hell of a lot easier between sets

I use a belt on my heaviest sets, I reckon I get a little out of it for squats, maybe 10kg. For deads I don't think I get anything out of it but I like the abdominal pressure I feel. I use a belt on anything over 200kg.

No reasoning apart from a lot of people can't get into a nice deep position with a belt on.

Belt gives me 5-10kg on squat and deadlift. Never used one till I squatted 140kg and pulled 200kg. Your only robbing yourself by using it at low weights. Why chase 5-10kg for the sake of a strong core. Sorry Ryan your very wrong on this, belts only for max lifts once you're weights are getting up there.

I'm calling bullshit on the whole "overuse of a belt makes your core weak" argument
No matter which way I look at it, it's not making sense.