• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Where do you go for diet info??

Oilucy

My fitness schedule comprises running and weight training (alternating) with 1-2 days off a week. About 5 years ago I saw a really good Sports Nutritionist in Bondi who gave me an outline of what my diet should include, what not to eat and what supplements to take and when. He was brilliant.
I would like to revisit my current diet but this guy charges a fair bit so I thought I'd see if there were any websites that I could source info from.
Someone told me this morning you should only consume carbs within 3 hours of a workout, and I've been told not to have a protein shake after I run - so I guess that's a an example of the type of info I'm after.
If anyone knows of any good sites or fact sheets I'd love to hear.
Thanks

What are your goals?

Diet is dependant on what your trying to achieve.. There is plenty of information available online but your nutritional intake / supplement regime / protein powders are all relevant to your individual goals....

3kg is hardly anything to worry about. Should realistically take a couple of weeks, or may be a month at the most.

Hard to give advise as we have no idea how much you weigh, how tall, and how intense you train. I know people who lose 3kg in a single training session.

We also have no idea what your existing diet is, so impossible to tell you how to adjust it.

But like others have said, I don't think timing is critical of when you eat.

Yes I know Big Mick 3kg is not much but I've been trying to lose it for 6 months now and it won't budge. I have had 4 children and the last one is proving to be the hardest to get my figure back.
I'm certainly toning up but really having difficulty getting a flat stomach - I can feel my ab muscles underneath but want to see them!!
I'm 167cm and weigh 56kg.

How much have you lost already??

May be mix it up a bit, ie change your routine, up the intensity etc.

I don't think reducing calories would be a good idea if you are already on low calories. May be try the burpee challenge on this forum, 100 burpees as day, try HIIT sprints, mix it up and keep your body guessing.

At your weight you are hardly overweight, may be you are too critical of yourself??

Seeing abs takes a fair bit of effort and very low body fat especially for a women.

Not having a perfectly flat stomach might be related to bloating from the wrong foods, may be you are carb intolerant, wheat intolerant, lactose intolerant etc etc (name your poison)

So may options and possibilities, may be give something like 'CarbNite' a go, I am using it at the moment down from 120kg to 108kg, aiming for around 100kg, don't want to be less than 100kg.;)

At your weight you are hardly overweight, may be you are too critical of yourself??

Seeing abs takes a fair bit of effort and very low body fat especially for a women.

^ this.

At 56kg and 167cm sounds like you are already quite lean.. Less another 3kg would make you 53kg - maybe dont use the scales as your only point of reference as they dont allow for a true representation of body composition.

What is your daily kcal target? It's possible those last 3kg won't budge because your kcals are actually too low and you just need to readjust a bit.

Plus at 167cm and 56kg, I'd have to say that you are pretty much at your right weight.

What you are looking to do is NOT lose weight but recomp your bod .. or you might just end up "skinny fat".
To do that, you will undoubtedly need to change up your routine and diet first of all.

Up the kcals, maybe reconsider the macro distribution:

• enough protein to gain/preserve muscle as you lose fat (@ 2g per kg LBM or total weight)
  • sufficient essential fats each day (min 0.5g-0.8g per kg BW) and
  • the rest carbs ...
and fats and carbs may juggle depending on how well you respond to either of these. If you are carb sensistive, reduce down the amount of daily carbs to a level you can tolerate and see some gradual fat loss. If, conversely, you are fat sensitive, keep the fats down to around your minimum requirements or thereabouts and up the carbs.
It is very much an individual thing.

Make sure you do get some carbs around your workout but frankly your muscles do not atrophy if you don't skull a shake or eat within 30seconds of finishing your workout ... the window of opportunity to get some glycogen into your muscles is quite a few hours.

If you do keep carbs low, throw in a higher carb/kcal day every now and then to keep the metabolism guessing. It can help prevent you plateauing as you appear to have done recently.

Make sure you keep up sufficient resistance training and do some HIIT cardio if required ... whatever works for you.

To work out your daily kcals requirements,

for maintenance (ie to keep your weight but recomp) multiply BW(in kg) x 16
Then just adjust up or down by around 10% kcals for fatloss or to grow lbm.
Start there, give it a few weeks, see how you go. If progress is too fast or too slow, adjust up or down accordingly.

This is just summarised blah blah but hopefully helps a bit :)

Last edited:
I've lost about 5kg which I'm happy with.
I suspect you're right in regards to bloating and intolerance to certain foods too.
I use to do a lot more cardio but have dropped it a bit and increased weights which have made a huge difference. I've gone through a 12 week cycle of my new regime and have twigged a few things in the past few weeks (ie more reps higher weights and added exercises) and I guess I also have to give that more time to notice results.
All in all I'm happy with my current figure but get frustrated I still have this little belly that won't budge.
Ill also look into CarbNite too Mick very much open to ideas.
Thank you for your comments and help too. I came on here once before for some advice and received some nasty comments from just a couple of people so the help and advice is extra appreciated.
At the end of the day I know very little about all of this im still very much a beginner and trying to learn as much as I can.

Actually can I please ask 1 more question - was told I shouldn't combine cardio and weights at the same session as the cardio wipes out any gains from the weight training.
If I did weights at say 8am for an hour and then did a 5km run at say midday is that still a no-no?
Is it better to alternate them on a daily basis?

If you want to gain muscle ie 'Grow Bigger', as in get muscular then this would probably be the case, ie rest and grow, as you grow while resting, not while training.

For weight loss, I am not sure it would matter, if you are doing weights to maintain your muscle mass while dropping body fat I can not see a problem with doing cardio and weights the same day.

Personally I would do it the other way around though, do your 5km run in the morning, then do weights later in the day and rest up. But thats just me.

Have you tried HIIT training?? might be better than a 5 km run, ie 10 x 100 meter sprints, with 45 second rest periods, whole workout will take about 10 mintes, and you will be more wrecked than doing a 5km run guaranteed, you could even do it twice a day if you want to go nuts.

Set out 100 meters (length of a soccer/football field), then at the start of the first minute sprint 100 meters as fast as you can, then rest and at the start of the second minute sprint back to the start, etc etc only stop to vomit.

Then go home and rest up.

Last edited:
Actually can I please ask 1 more question - was told I shouldn't combine cardio and weights at the same session as the cardio wipes out any gains from the weight training.
If I did weights at say 8am for an hour and then did a 5km run at say midday is that still a no-no?
Is it better to alternate them on a daily basis?

No cardio does not wipe out gains from weight training.

Thank you so much Big Mick, Bazza and Chocchillimango that is really helpful info.
I have heard of HIIT but never tried on a long term basis.
Will definitely look into all the links you guys have sent and re read the dietary info too.
Again really appreciate the help and advice.

Chocchillimango my protein is def too low going by your post. I have about half of that as I'd previously based my daily protein intake on 1gm per LBM. I am not a huge red meat eater, mainly because it just doesnt agree with me so I generally get my protein from chicken, fish, lean turkey slices, eggs, chickpeas and WPI.

I think I have enough essential fats and if anything am perhaps fat sensitive - I add avocado to my protein shake and I use to add coconut oil to my porridge and shake as well but noticed I put on weight so stopped it (and lost the weight again).

I think you're also dead right about too low kcals though and will look to upping them. What is the healthiest way to add carbs that you can suggest?

Lastly, photos of me here - please dont laugh at the selfies I am just trying to show where I am up to. The side on belly photo is the last one I think - it probably doesnt look so bad in the pic but IRL it is noticeable and when I lean over for example, I have this little "spare tyre" there! The last time I had the same issue (ie belly after baby #3 the only way I lost it was to get down to 53kg and this is why I'm aiming to get there again - if I could stay at my current weight and lose the belly in isolation I would much prefer to do that)
Oilucy's Library | Photobucket

I think Big Mick made a very valid comment re bloating too as I find I bloat very easily depending on what I eat. Last night we ate fish and steamed greens so I have no bloating today at all and these pics were taken today. If however, I was to eat pasta, red meat or rice, I would have a bloated stomach today for sure.