• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which half rack? Powertec or GymDirect?

C

chokpa

Hi Guys,

I want to replace the standard bench and bar setup with a power rack so i can do chins and squats all in the same place. I'm thinking of buying one around the $500 mark.

I've looked at GymDirect and SamsFitness.

Sam's has this one which looks quite nice: samsfitness.com.au/powertec-half-rack.html?osCsid=de4f2a7faca91fc507b7d49d0929df9 which is $490 and looks sturdy. It has a chinup bar but thats about it.

GymDirect has a few more selections but with a high low pulley.They're the same price... does this mean the quality might be a bit lower and the pulleys might just give out in a few months? I have heard reports of pulleys giving out on the cheaper equipment.

The GymDirect stuff:

gymdirect.com.au/item/Half-Rack-with-high-low-pulley/222.htm (probably go for this one as it looks nicer... the other one looks like it came out of a dungeon)

gymdirect.com.au/item/TR74R-Multi-Rack,-Squat-Rack,-Bench-press,-Lat-Pulldown,-Seated-row,-Adjustable-height--pulley-system/586.htm

Thanks for any advice :)

Sorry had to take out direct links because it wouldn't let me post them until I had 15 posts. Apologies for the extra effort

Is the search button broken champ? This has been covered MANY times.
Posted via Mobile Device

ah too hasty of me, sorry mate

cant really find that much info on these two specifically. I guess i'm basically asking if there is a quality sacrifice for the gymdirect racks since they cost the same put include pulleys.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I want to replace the standard bench and bar setup with a power rack so i can do chins and squats all in the same place. I'm thinking of buying one around the $500 mark.

Hi,

You mentioned that you want a power rack, however, none of the racks you referred to are actually full power racks.

The Powertec rack from Sams is a good rack, out of the 3 you referred to, it would probably be the best buy for your $500 if you just want it for chins and squats.

I see the Gym Direct products every day, since I work there, so can let you know what I think of them.
If you want to do some pulley work too, I would go for the Half Rack with high low pulley before the TR74R Multi Rack, Squat Rack, Bench press, Lat Pulldown, Seated row, Adjustable height pulley system

It all depends on what you want to use the rack for, the TR74R Multi Rack, Squat Rack, Bench press, Lat Pulldown, Seated row, Adjustable height pulley system has an adjustable height pulley so is good for alot of single arm cable exercises, if that's what you want to do.

For a bit of a combination of all, this light duty power rack is good:
BPR02 Power Rack with High Low Pulley

Or, a good rack for just bench press and squats:
BSSREX Safety Squat Rack

Remember, you get a 10% discount off these Gym Direct prices as a AUSBB member.

If you can go a little over $500, you would have a few better options.
The MMPR Power Rack is $535 after discount.
Or, you could always pick up some good quality 2nd hand equipment if you are patient.

Good luck

sorry about the confusion. I want a half rack, as a power rack would be too big for my room.

Hmm that BSSREX Safety Squat Rack looks quite good as well. All its missing is a chinup bar up the top. But the price is really good..

that might be true but the power rack is much more of an imposing figure in the room as it is effectively just a cage.

I'm thinking about selling a spare bench and bar to offset the cost. Just deciding between the powertec or gymdirect offering. Do samsfitness do discounts?

I'd just go for the power rack man, I keep mine in my room, when I dont use it Iput my bench in the middle and my weights, doesnt take up heaps of space...

fyi found the bssrex for $350 on ebay and it looks identical?

Hulk, any differences you can see?

cgi.ebay.com.au/HOME-GYM-WEIGHTS-BENCH-PRESS-SQUAT-RACK-MULTI-STATION-/280472618901?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Sport_Exercise_Fitness_Machines&hash=item414d788795#ht_4781wt_930 HOME GYM WEIGHTS BENCH PRESS SQUAT RACK MULTI STATION - eBay Other Machines, Machines, Fitness, Sport. (end time 31-May-10 21:23:37 AEST

Yes, there are a few differences.
We make improvements to our products where possible, rather than just ordering what the manufacturers are offering.

BSSREX Safety Squat Rack
(See the top photo's in the listing, not the last photo which is an old model)

The differences on the Muscle Motion model are:
  1. Safety supports can go much higher, previously was too low to catch on squats.
  2. The workout depth is deeper to accomodate more styles of benches. ie, the rear connecting base beam has been moved back.
  3. Both crossbeams have extra bracing and much wider connection points, allowing much more strength and ridgidity.
  4. The front legs don't stick out too much on the Muscle Motion as they do on the other rack. It's simply not necessary and a safety hazard.
  5. The muscle motion plate horns have a nice round end cap, easier to put weights on.
  6. The muscle motion rack is full olympic width. Check the photo of the other model front on, it is very narrow.
  7. The Muscle Motion model is available in 2 colours, Silver and White.
Without seeing the quality of the other rack, I can't comment any more.
However, I believe the points mentioned above should help you make a decision.
I believe the extra improvements in design and construction to make the rack more user friendly are worth an extra $40.

Thanks

ahh i see it now. cheers.

It was a lot closer to my place.

I'll probably try to have a look one day, but I work when you guys are open. Might have to be a saturday