• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

which is better PWO, dextrose or oatmass?

pistachio

i'm considering either:

- 35g WPC + 35g dextrose OR
- 35g WPC + 35g oatmass

followed by a full meal about 30 minutes later.

which would you choose and why?

i prefer option 1, simply because the dextrose flavours the protein so you can use unflavoured protein which is cheaper. not to mention that the dextrose itself is cheaper..

im assuming oatmass is powdered oats?? I prefer oats pwo because the dextrose is too much for me too much sugar at once.. Also I think oats are more beneficial if your cutting as it doesnt impact your insulin levels as much.. dextrose would be more beneficial if bulking especially if your a hard gainer. My body is pretty insulin resistant though coz ive gotten pretty fat.. anyway thats my 2c

yup, powdered oats is correct.

im currently not having any carbs in my PWO shake, only cos i have been cutting. but i will be back into bulking in a serious way very soon, so trying to suss out a few of the finer details before i start...

Id go with Oatmass - dextrose is pretty old school now - looked into waxy maize?

Under the advice of Fadi I have 30gms of waxy maize, 5gm of creatine and 10gm of Eaa straight after a workout, the 15 mins later 60gms of oatmass 30gms of WPC. All mixed with water.

yeah i've looked into waxy maize, but if i had a choice, i'd probably go oats over waxy maize.

im thinking when im bulking i might have my shakes with milk again too, haven't done this for years tho, but i'm not why i started having em with water. i think it was something to do with the milk slowing the digestion of the protein if i recall correctly...

Under the advice of Fadi I have 30gms of waxy maize, 5gm of creatine and 10gm of Eaa straight after a workout, the 15 mins later 60gms of oatmass 30gms of WPC. All mixed with water.

I'm confused, you go with a slow carb (waxy maize) straight after your workout......then you hit again with another slow carb (oatmass) 15 minutes later? What is the reasoning behind this :confused:

I'm confused, you go with a slow carb (waxy maize) straight after your workout......then you hit again with another slow carb (oatmass) 15 minutes later? What is the reasoning behind this :confused:

I'm not sure what you mean by slow carb? as far as I have read WMS is one of the farstest absorbing carbs out there. Below is riped from Fitness Central website. Basically the wms is for delivering the creatine and eaa's into the blood system, then a 60/40 carb protien later.
What Is Waxy Maize Starch (WMS)?

Waxy Maize Starch is a long chain carbohydrate derived from corn.
Why Use Waxy Maize Starch ( Instead of Dextrose / Maltodextrin?

Waxy Maize Starch has some very unique properties which make it different to any other carbohydrate source. Waxy Maize Starch has a much higher molecular weight and a much lower osmolarity rate compared to dextrose / maltodextrin. This means it bypasses the stomach and is immediately absorbed by the intestines and assimilated by the body. In simple terms, Waxy Maize Starch gets absorbed and utilised by your body twice as fast as any other carbohydrate.
Dextrose and Maltodextrin can also cause water retention, bloating, and an upset stomach whereas Waxy Maize Starch is non-sweet and sits lightly in the gut before almost immediately being absorbed by the body.
How Does Waxy Maize Starch (WMS) Assist Bodybuilders?

Waxy Maize Starch is pulled through the gut so fast that it acts like a 'pump', drawing water and other nutrients through with it. By mixing your amino acids, creatine, and other supplements with Waxy Maize Starch you can increase their speed and level of absorption. Many bodybuilders report that they can feel muscles becoming fuller shortly after consuming Waxy Maize Starch with amino acids.
Waxy Maize Starch is primarily used Post-Workout as an energy replenishment carb. During exercise your body depletes glycogen, or energy stores. To minimise recovery time and maximize muscle growth it is vital to replenish glycogen stores as quickly as possible so your body is no longer in a depleted, catabolic state. Using Waxy Maize Starch Post-Workout is currently the fastest way of doing this.
How Much Waxy Maize Starch (WMS) Should Be Used?

Most bodybuilders start with 40grams Post-Workout and adjust from there. It is important to keep the drink as dilute as possible to maximise the effects. Using a 10% ratio of Waxy Maize Starch to Water is ideal. eg. 40g Waxy Maize Starch in 400ml water, 50g Waxy Maize Starch in 500ml water, etc.
Can Waxy Maize Starch (WMS) Be Stacked With Other Supplements?

Yes. You should add your Amino Acids and Creatine to your Waxy Maize Starch and consume them together post-workout, followed 20minutes later by a protein shake. For example; Finish Workout: Consume 40g Waxy Maize Starch, 20g EAA, 5g Creatine in at least 400ml water. 20 Minutes Later: Protein Shake
Waxy Maize Starch (WMS) - Per 100g

Energy 1716 kJ
Protein 0 g
Fats − Total 0 g
− Saturated 0 g
Carbohydrates
− Total 98 g
− Sugars 0 g
Dietary Fibre 0 g
Sodium 190 mg

I'm not sure what you mean by slow carb? as far as I have read WMS is one of the farstest absorbing carbs out there.

Sorry to burst you bubble but it is a fact that waxy maize starch is slow digesting (actually digests slower than white bread). Not my opinion, fact. It is a common misconception so don't worry, just if you want a fast carb go for maltodextrin or eat a bunch of dates. Hope that helps :)

I never take manufacturers claims for anything...

If we did we would treat low testosterone with novadex xt and obesity with hydroxy cut.

Always seek alternate source of information

Why do you have WPC PWO? you are still digesting it 4 hours later, thats why they invented WPI & HWPI.

Just a thought.

Why do you have WPC PWO? you are still digesting it 4 hours later, thats why they invented WPI & HWPI.

Just a thought.

Because he's already taken in creatine and EEA's, they get straight to the muscle.

Not sure if it takes 4 hours to digest WPC....but taking it lengthens his anabolic window, as it sends out amino acids more slowly.

You dont need wpi post workout, wpc is fine.. especially is your taking in bcaas during/postworkout

Well that's why I like getting on these forums to get another point of view. Agree with having BCAA's during and post workout. I like to sip on Peptopro while I train, or sometimes my BCAA+G mix, works good for me.

In the grand scheme of things, how much of an effect would these supplements have on "muscle building"?

I'd say not as much as everyone seems to think they do.

In the grand scheme of things, how much of an effect would these supplements have on "muscle building"?

I'd say not as much as everyone seems to think they do.

Maybe so, but if you do every little thing you can to help muscle building over the course of a year the difference will probably add up. Also I think things like BCAA's during your workout act as anabolic signalers priming your body for better growth and recovery. that's my 2c worth

well Ill disagree.. we are talking pwo here which is the most important meal, whey protein, bcaas and carb sources pwo have a big effect on muscle growth and repair..

yes you can choose to eat a whole food meal instead of a shake, but shakes are more convenient and more quickly absorbed which is important right after your workout. Lifting weights is catabolic. If you wait to get home cook a meal and then eat your compromising on recovery and obviously the less time your body is in a catabolic state the better it is for muscle growth

well Ill disagree.. we are talking pwo here which is the most important meal, whey protein, bcaas and carb sources pwo have a big effect on muscle growth and repair..

yes you can choose to eat a whole food meal instead of a shake, but shakes are more convenient and more quickly absorbed which is important right after your workout. Lifting weights is catabolic. If you wait to get home cook a meal and then eat your compromising on recovery and obviously the less time your body is in a catabolic state the better it is for muscle growth

But you hve been eating food all day... You have protein from the meal before the gym.