• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

which low-mid price aussie supplied barbell?

if your going to invest in any lifting equipment.... the one thing you need to go all out on (or at least get mid-high quality) is your barbell, the first barbell i bought was the iron edge economy bar, it had a 50mm bend in it after a few weeks training 3 days a week

the next bar i got was a pendlay HD nexgen from iron edge (they no longer sell these, they now sell the iron edge oly bars and power bars) it was ok for a while, but the second things started getting serious it became unsuitable because it had no center knurling so it wouldnt grip the back when squatting.

after i learned my lesson about buy quality buy once, i saved all my money for about 15 weeks working 5 shifts a week in a charcoal chicken shop and got an eleiko powerlifting comp bar from titan australia, was a little over 2k sure it was major overkill but i wont need to buy another bar.... ever haha unless it gets stolen hahahaha

id say spending the 500-600 dollars on a quality bar is well worth the money in the long run.

when i started i was doing basic strength training thought id only need a cheap bar, 3 months after that i got into powerlifting... things change fast when you get bit by the iron bug :D

It's you're not dropping the thing, I think either of the 2nd two bars will do you just fine

deadlifts/cleans will bend a bar faster than you think lol

as for the muscle motion bars i cant comment on, never used them

have used a thicker bar 30+mm... as brick said, awkward to hold.
not sure what brand it is but he said it was cheap.... its a banana lol but keep in mind the guys at my gym use it for rack pulls, so it would of seen some serious weight

yeah dropping any bar on racks or unevenly will kill it lol

Yeah it will. Mine is only very slightly bent its more just that I know I bent it that is annoying.

My pendlay bar is still perfectly straight after a lot of deadlifts and I am not gentle with it at all.

deadlifts/cleans will bend a bar faster than you think lol

depends on what the op is lifting and lifting from (concrete vs some kind of mat might mke a difference up to a certain weight)

op doesn't want a $500 bar

The under 500 bars are just all shit.

I have used one MM bar and it was already bent when new. The knurling was almost non existent and very shiny and hard to grip.

The gym direct bar is fat as hell and again the knurling is shit but due to the extra thickness takes a beating reasonably well in the power rack.

Yeah it will. Mine is only very slightly bent its more just that I know I bent it that is annoying.

My pendlay bar is still perfectly straight after a lot of deadlifts and I am not gentle with it at all.
yeah my pendlay got a beating and never bent, just became impractical...

basically bazza said what i was trying to say but he got straight to the point.... sub500 bars are shit lol

I think there is no middle ground with barbells either bite the bullet and get decent (texas, pendlay)or buy dirt cheap 28mm china bars and treat as a disposable item.

I have been getting china bars for$85 and just chucking them when bent but I do desperately want a texas bar. Still if your a green beginner $500 alot of dough for a bar.

Still if your a green beginner $500 alot of dough for a bar.

I agree with this. I know long term it is best to buy quality rather than buy two bars but if op doesn't have the cash any bar is better than no bar

on a side note, brick where did you find those chinese bars you're talking about? i don't need a new bar just interested

Cyberfit, man I plug him so much I should get a commission.

It was the only dirt cheap 28mm oly bar I could find. Those 31mm cheapies everyone sells suck so bad.

Cyberfit, man I plug him so much I should get a commission.

It was the only dirt cheap 28mm oly bar I could find. Those 31mm cheapies everyone sells suck so bad.

Cyberfit! Love his equipment!

Best Lifts: S90kgs, B50kgs, D112.5kgs :)

How much you weight Nightfall, $500 is a lot of money, add on top of that the rack and weights and it is a small fortune. If your a lightweight, it'll take you longer to break the cheap bars, but if your a big fella, then the bar won't last too long...

Not sure what the resale of a $500 bar would be if down the track you decide its not for you..

think about it, buy a 200 bar.... bend it in a month or 2 and its now worthless, decide to get a 500 bar and youve spent 700 on bars, with 200 down the drain. or the texas being at about 600, thats 800 all up.... thats a big difference.

or get a 200 bar, bend it, replace it with another cheap bar, thats 400.... may as well of got the quality bar in the first place.

now if the op is in a position that simply cant afford a 600 dollar bar fair enough you cant really help that.... but if your like me and the biggest tight ass on the planet, just get the good bar and skimp out on all the other equipment lol