• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which order?

Morgan

Just thinking guys...

I've got shoulders, chest & tris tomorrow, am I better off doing.

All my shoulder stuff, then all chest, then all tris?

or

A shoulder exercise, then chest, then tris, the another shoulder,chest and tris?

I thought it was better to do them in a row so you can really work the specific muscle group, but I just read that it's good to break it up so you get a better rest and you can go a bit heavier?

What is everyones thoughts?

depends how much time you have in the week, it is best to split them up IMO, but not everyone has 6 hours a week to spend at the gym, if you had to do the three together then i would do chest, shoulders and then tris

If you're training them all together I'd probably do something similar to the following:

- Incline Bench for Chest and Shoulders
- Dumbell Press/Flyes for Chest mainly
- Shoulder Flyes for shoulders
- Weighted tricep dips on parallel bars for Chest, Triceps and some shoulders
- Tricep extensions or similar for Triceps

This should well and truly cover all bases. Don't worry about doing reverse flies for rear delts as they'll be worked on back day more than likely so further isolation shouldn't be required.

I think you guys got me a bit mixed up!

Let me explain, I am already doing a 2-day split.

Chest, Shoulders and Triceps on one day then Legs, back and biceps another day.

My question is...

Am I better off doing in one workout, all my chest exercises in a row, so flyes, then bench, then incline bench, then going onto shoulders or... To to bench, then tricep pulldowns, then lateral raises, then incline bench?

Does that make sense? I am having a hard time getting my point across!

If your splitting your routine may as well split shoulders triceps and chest up totally. Also chest workout use shoulders and triceps so space those workouts by at least one day.

An example would be:
Monday - chest or arms or shoulders
Tuesday - anything but chest or arms or shoulders
Wednesday - chest or arms or shoulders
Thurday - anything but chest or arms or shoulders
Friday - chest or arms or shoulders
Saturday - anything but chest or arms or shoulders
Sunday - Rest

Its just a suggestion tho.

Usually people do the heavy compound exercises first, because they take a lot of energy. If you've already tired out the individual muscles, you won't be able to put much into the compound lifts.

For example, if I do a heap of bicep curls then when I come to do chins, I won't be able to do many, my biceps are so tired they can't do anything more, and I don't end up working my back at all. Or if I do leg extensions and then a leg press, etc.

Whether you do the isolation exercises for different muscle groups before or after the others doesn't matter much.

So for example a workout might be,

Back/biceps: BB rows
Biceps: DB curls
Chest: bench
Triceps: skull-crushers
Hams/Quads: squats
Hams: leg curls
Quads: leg extensions

In this, you could do the BB rows, then the bench, then the squats, and follow those three up with curls, skull-crushers, leg curls and extensions. Or you could do the BB rows, then the curls; then bench, then skull-crushers, etc.

But you wouldn't want to do the DB curls, then the BB rows, or the leg curls then the squats.

Go from the big exercises to the small ones, not vice versa.

still not sure if i understand but ill give it another crack,
you dont split your chest workout into 2, so you wont do half your chest on day 1(bench) and then the other on day 2(flys), cause you will find you just wont have the strength on day 2, so in answer to your question yes you do all your chest exercises in a row.
and then you do all your shoulders in a row and then just finish your tris with some extensions and ropes or something.

If this is incorrect then i give up to, haha.

You were close Shammo haha, much closer than before, I'm terrible at expressing myself.

Example-

Today I will be doing

Overhead press, front raises, side raises then

DB Flyes, Bench press, incline bench press, push ups then
Tricep rope pull downs and weighted dips.

What I meant was, should I do it like this? 3 shoulder exercises in a row, 4 chest exercises in a row then 2 tricep ones.

Is it better or worse to go (in one workout) 1 shoulder, then 1 chest, then 1 tricep and then back to the start with one shoulder, then chest, then tri. Thus increasing my rest between sets of the same muscle and maybe I could lift heavier? or is this too long a rest between sets of the same muscle group?

Aaron, I get what you mean about the compound exercises, I have no chance of doing chin ups after I've done lat pulldown or compound row haha, same goes for squats, not a hope in hell of doing them if I have done squats or leg curls first. :)

Thanks guys.

Chest then triceps then shoulder. If you do supersets you will lose energy for chest exercises. Chest is a big muscle group and needs more weight to stimulate it. So if you get to your isolations after it wont matter as much if you cant lift as heavy fresh if that makes sense.

I would go chest, shoulders and then tri's. Go the big muscle first, do all your exercises for that bodypart, then move onto the next.

These bodyparts involve the other parts to a degree, so I don't see any value in seperating the exercises, ie one for chest, one for shoulder and one for triceps and then repeating.

firstly
i never train shoulders and chest on the same day
they use the same pressing motion so whichever one u do second will suffer.

if you must do both on the same day do the weaker one first. im guessing it will most likely be shoulders since the majority of guys at the gym like to do chest (and bi's).

and lastly if you must train triceps. i would do them at the end. doing them before shoulders as kindred suggested doesnt make sense. shoulders and chest are compound movements, where the triceps are involved. doing them to failure before shoulders does not make sense?

my split is as follows:
monday back and tri's
tuesday shoulders
wednesday forearms
thursday legs
friday chest and bi's

i do cardio everyday
30-60min in the morning and 15-30min after weight training in the evening.

Last edited:
also
i like to superset side/front/rear delt raises
BB/DB flat bench with pullovers

post up your split routine

Here is my routine

Bench press
105kg x 8 reps
100kg x 8 reps
100kg x 8 reps

Incline press
80kg x 8 reps, 3 sets of