• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which row is the best for assisting deadlift and grip strength?

bozodos

I've done bent over row on a lesser angle rowing to the lower abdomen, Pendlay style with back paralell to the ground rowing to the chest, and most recently the Kroc row (because it's what Jim Wendler reckons is best in 5/3/1).

I like them all, but has anyone noticed any particular advantage from one to the other?

Row what you feel comfortable with not what what some Internet guru thinks is best. I like T-bar rows FWIW

The row I like best is a chest supported row or low cable row. As for assisting the deadlift, none of them.

The row is a back exercise, therefor I personally like a chest supported one.

i like the draper style BB row, but when I do these, the deadlift suffers, well, the lower back does anyway.

Yeah T bar is not bad either. Obviously posting it here because all of my assistance is geared towards improving the big 4 lifts rather than bodybuilding. I don't row on deadlifting days.

Hadn't heard of the chest supported row, will give that a try for my next cycle; the draper rows look like exactly what I was doing when I was doing my beginner routine.

Last edited:
All of them are good
Just pick whatever feels good, and gets a good pump in the lats
I like to do them like an RDL with a row at the top, very specific to the deadlift but does not hit the rhomboids so much
For the rhomboids I do pull-ups, and really get my sternum to the bar angled upwards

yeah I do chinups, albeit assisted due to being fat, generally for upper body assistance I do assisted chinups, bodyweight dips, a row, and BB curl. Was curious to see if those with more lifting experience had noticed any more benefit out of one over the other.

Like I said, I've tried a number of them and liked them all, rowing feels good.

Personally I don't think you need to do rows yet as assistance and will get very little out of doing them so feel free just to pick ONE type of row and trial it for 4 weeks then rotate to another one. I am only just at the point now where I am noticing that I get a fair bit out of barbell rowing and before then simply deadlifting was enough for good hypertrophy of the entire back including the rear delts.

As for the rows I have tried, the hammer strength row is OK but I find I struggle to go heavy on it, the movement is very difficult and I have a hard time squeezing the shoulder blades together without using pathetic weight.
One armed dumbbell rows they don't make dumbbells heavy enough unless you're lucky enough to have plate loaded dumbbells. I have done 60kg for 20 reps on several occasions
Barbell rows are good, I have never done these particularly strict though but I think this is more my proportions than anything else- I need some knee and hip extension first to get into the position to row. Is strict better than cheating? Who knows. But if you're explosively rowing 180kg into your chest it doesn't really matter what form you use your deadlift is going to be good
I have done barbell rows from the floor and from the hang, I like both and it depends on how I am feeling at the time.

60kg for 20 reps REALLY?

I can chin with 25kg on me for 8 reps, so 130kg total weight x 8, and fresh MAYBE I could row 50kg for 10 reps. I want to see a vid of you doing 60x20 or your dumbell row form!