• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which rubber coated olympic plates in Australia

I'm looking to get a set (about 200kg worth at the moment) of rubber coated olympic plates (don't want bumpers, i'm not looking at doing any olympic lifts)

Considering price, weight accuracy, quality and smell, Does anyone have any recommendations out of

Iron edge (Kettlebells - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter)
gymdirect (Gym equipment, Fitness Equipment, Exercise equipment, Weight Training Equipment)
gymandfitness (Gym Equipment, Fitness Equipment, Home Gym Equipment, Power Racks, Multi Gyms, Weight benches)
Power Maxx (Sam's Fitness Equipment)
Australian Barbell co (Australian Barbell Company | Home)

So far i've been tempted by the coloured olympic plates at Kettlebells - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

This is for a home gym in a block of flats, so i definitely want rubber coated to help reduce noise, they will be used on 15mm rubber matting and in a power rack.

I'd buy locally, just make sure they are 450mm diameter.

You can normally talk local shops down to under $3kg.

As far as accuracy goes, unless your buying calibrated plates at $5-$6kg, no rubber coated plates will be exact, not that it matters for you anyway.

Mate you are over analysing all this. Just buy the gear then pick it up and put it down.

Rubber coated weights are rubber coated weights. Buy the cheapest ones you can find.

The only exception is if you are planning to compete and worried about doing deads with a 20mm deficet (really who gives a shit even if you are a competitive powerlifter) then the ABC plates are regulation 450mm??? I think.

A 20kg plate weighs 20kg the quality doesn't matter a pinch of shit, we aren't talking quality bumpers or claibrated eleikos here.

Mate you are over analysing all this. Just buy the gear then pick it up and put it down.

Rubber coated weights are rubber coated weights. Buy the cheapest ones you can find.

The only exception is if you are planning to compete and worried about doing deads with a 20mm deficet (really who gives a shit even if you are a competitive powerlifter) then the ABC plates are regulation 450mm??? I think.

A 20kg plate weighs 20kg the quality doesn't matter a pinch of shit, we aren't talking quality bumpers or claibrated eleikos here.

Concerns are i've heard a lot about some rubber coated plates being really smelly... Kettlebells.com.au is local for me (Melbourne) so i'm thinking they are the go, just wanted to know if they make sense

(For 2x25,4x20,2x15,2x10,2x5,2x2,5,2x1.25 its about $600)
and given the amount of feedback on the bar... i thought it was worth checking these things out :)

would the cushioning of bumpers make any difference for bar life with no olympic lifts? (just deadlifts on the ground, everything else the plates won't touch the ground)

I'm picking no?

I still recommend Cyberfit, plates are $3kg. They are the same ones sold by GYM and Fitness for roughly the same amount, but can be talked down for large orders.

the bumpers are heaps quieter if your deadlift on concrete / thin matting, but if you put enough rubber mats down it'll be SFA difference

Concerns are i've heard a lot about some rubber coated plates being really smelly... Kettlebells.com.au is local for me (Melbourne) so i'm thinking they are the go, just wanted to know if they make sense

They all stink when they are new it's the sulphur in the rubber. It dissipates after a week.

At the end of the day bumpers and all the other premium shit like commercial racks and all that shit is nice but it isn't gonna make you any bigger or stronger.

Alot of the commercial gyms I worked out in over the years only had cheap china bars, cheapo rubber coated weights and $400 power racks and the boys lifting there get plenty big and strong.

Just buy what you can afford and suits your needs.

Last edited:
yeah i have to say i agree with brick. ive known people who trained in their shed with old rusty second hand gear and it never stopped them from putting on size.

Considering the cheapo china bars comment... this seems at odds with the 'barbell' thread?

Mate what are you deadlifting??

I said I would like an ABC or texas in that thread. I pull 200kg and I don't think I am at a level where that quality of bar is anything short of a luxury. It is an absolute premium piece of kit only found in hard core gyms and powerlifters garages.

I will put the whole thing in context for you.

It's like a tradesman buying a 100k maloo or FPV ute to use as a work truck. Yeah it's nice to use, looks good but at the end of the day a 25k Hilux does the same job, doesn't look as pretty and rides a bit rough but still serves it's purpose.

oddly, i squat more than i deadlift and bench about what i deadlift, my grip lets me down and i generally only do 100kg (but thats all grip failure and bad technique), so i'm thinking a fair bit more than that with straps or something, I've managed 140 before, but again, grip failure.

my 'normal' (just to very near parallel, i'm tall and not too flexible) squats are about 140kgs, I've done a shallowish set with 180kg, and i bench 100kg for sets of 5-7 at present.

Don't think I'm been rude or anything mate if you have the money and want to buy top quality kit go for it, but before you rush out and drop 5K I just thought I would be the voice of reason. I guess my point is it's the effort you put in not the quality of the gear that will get the results.

Since your from Melbourne, Give Aussie barbell a call last time I was there like a month ago they had rubber coated plates from a fitness show up in Sydney they were trying to sell of cheaper then new like $2.5 a kg.

Don't think I'm been rude or anything mate if you have the money and want to buy top quality kit go for it, but before you rush out and drop 5K I just thought I would be the voice of reason. I guess my point is it's the effort you put in not the quality of the gear that will get the results.

Totally... but i do need a rack of some kind, a bench of some kind, dumbbells, weights and a bar :)

with the cheapest realistic options (MMPR rack ($600), $200 bar, bench of some kind ($250+), $600 for 200kg of weights, $600 for cheap adjustables, $330 for flooring, $400-$500 for bike, $400 for freight and odds and ends) ...

I'm still not going to get change from $3,500 ish

(considering combined shipping etc from samsfitness, safeties suiting my limited space more etc, the rack from powertec might make sense over the MMPR)

I'm thinking a $200 bar will be fine, but there is a chorus of people claiming it will be bent in a week!

I do have to consider a few things like noise and space as i am limited and life in close proximity to neighbours and will be working out late (hence rubber plates)

I'd just go to the gym, but i get home late enough, enough times that i get there maybe twice a week at present, there are no 24 hour options anywhere near my house.

Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding - View Single Post - Show us your Home Gym

That owes me $1200. add to that the 120kg dumbell set from gym direct ($300 I think??) and I can do everything you can for $1500 delivered to my door.

Yes there are a few less then perfect design issues with the rack but lets not read too much into it, none of it stops me picking shit up and putting it down. It's weight lifting not brain surgery.

Quality is great but there are options to do it on the cheap as well. The good shit doesn't make the workouts any easier. Like I said mate just offering an alternative opinion to everyone saying go out and drop all your dough on top dollar equipment. If you can afford top dollar and want it, do it.

That owes me $1200. add to that the 120kg dumbell set from gym direct ($300 I think??) and I can do everything you can for $1500 delivered to my door.

Yes there are a few less then perfect design issues with the rack but lets not read too much into it, none of it stops me picking shit up and putting it down. It's weight lifting not brain surgery.

Quality is great but there are options to do it on the cheap as well. The good shit doesn't make the workouts any easier. Like I said mate just offering an alternative opinion to everyone saying go out and drop all your dough on top dollar equipment. If you can afford top dollar and want it, do it.

Incorrect mate...... Not only does it make it easier, but also safer.

Add flooring ($330 is cheapest i've found for 10sqm and in my rental with VERY close neighbors this isn't _really_ an option ),

inclinable bench (extra $100), Bike ($400 min), cable tower ($400) and leg ext/curl ($200) for the same functionality.... and i'd still have the problem of staging spinlocks onto legs (believe me, $980 for dumbbells is the bit i'm most resisting here!)

The welded rack they have looks great, except it's too tall for my garage
CPU Utilization capped at 25% (View topic) • OpenOffice.org Community Forum

Gun racks would make life just that bit easier :)

Last edited: