• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why 15 minutes of exercise is all you need

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
IF YOU’RE prone to using time as an excuse for not exercising, you’d better stop reading now. What we’re about to tell you will blow that reasoning out the door. Jetts personal trainer Jarrad Sullivan believes you can get everything you need from 15 minutes of exercise — and having been crowned the NSW Personal Trainer of the Year, he knows his stuff.
“A 15-minute workout has a variety of health benefits, and can add years on to your life,” he explains.
“It’s busy-proof; there is no specific time of the day or night do to it, so you can just fit it in whenever suits you,” Sullivan says.
Here’s why 15 minutes a day works:
1. It burns a substantial amount of calories
2. It increases blood flow
3. It will boost your metabolism
4. It improves sleep patterns
5. It increases endorphin production
6. It reduces stress
This is what you need to do:
1. Choose 5 exercises — for example: weights, dead lifts, squats, chin-ups, bench press
2. Spend 1 minutes on each exercise, and go through this routine twice
3. Finish with 5 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), alternating between 20 seconds of maximum intensity and 10 seconds rest.

Here’s why you’ll benefit:
1. Dead lifts — They teach you how to stabilise your spine, they also teach you correct technique for everyday tasks. They will give you confidence to be able to lift things from the ground such as heavy boxes. Dead lifts will also increase your flexibility and joint mobility.
Muscles used: Core, quadriceps, hamstrings, gluts and calves.
2. Squats — If this leg exercise is correctly done you will release testosterone which will not only benefit your legs, this will also offer benefits throughout the body. Very functional movement which helps burn more fat, great for joint mobility and balance.
Muscles used: calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, gluts and core.
3. Chin ups — One of the best benefits is the ability to strengthen so many muscle at once, again great functional movement.
Muscles used: Forearms, lats, biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, lower and middle trapezius and core.
4. Chest press — Great for increase in upper body strength and joint mobility. It can also improve flexibility and increase bone density.
Muscles used: Forearms, chest or pectorals, triceps, deltoids

5. Bench Press — Another good one for the pecs, the bench press is one of the most widely used exercises because of its effectiveness in muscle development — it will work muscles you’ve never even heard of.
Muscles used: Pectoralis major, serratus anterior, serratus anterior, anterior deltoid, triceps brachii, coracobrachailis
6. High Intensity Interval Training — HIIT involves short intense bursts of exercise followed by short breaks to recover. It’s a cardio routine and is super effective in burning fat.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...-is-all-you-need/story-fneuzle5-1226844960275

While we're all inclined to mock, I think there's an underlying key here called context. Take note of the general benefits listed:

1. It burns a substantial amount of calories (I'm curious how we define "substantial." It'll certainly burn more calories than not doing 15min of exercise)
2. It increases blood flow
3. It will boost your metabolism (This is similar to point 1 in a lot of ways)
4. It improves sleep patterns
5. It increases endorphin production
6. It reduces stress

This gives us a pretty big clue about what the aim of this little workout is: it's not really to build strength or muscle. It's not even all that focused on weight/fat loss. It's mostly just to get people to enjoy some of the health and lifestyle benefits of exercise. Granted, strength, muscle and fat are mentioned with the specific exercise descriptions. At that point we might be looking at details that are technically correct but dishonest, given the workout design. But to give the absolute benefit of the doubt, one could point out that this workout is targeted at people who are still in the "I don't have time exercise" mentality, which usually means that they aren't doing any exercise, which means that simply practicing these exercises and emphasising form for a minute each would actually yield a lot of the benefits stated purely by means of noob gains.

In the context of basically anyone on this forum, this article doesn't offer much value. Most of us will spend close to 15min just warming up. We probably wouldn't get the benefits of any of the exercises listed doing this. We might even regress in strength or muscle mass by using loads that allow us to complete a circuit like this in the time stated. But for Bill and Jill Whitecollar (ie the target audience) whose only form of exertion is hastily trying not to miss the train, this is a big step in the right direction.

In the context of basically anyone on this forum, this article doesn't offer much value. Most of us will spend close to 15min just warming up. We probably wouldn't get the benefits of any of the exercises listed doing this. We might even regress in strength or muscle mass by using loads that allow us to complete a circuit like this in the time stated. But for Bill and Jill Whitecollar (ie the target audience) whose only form of exertion is hastily trying not to miss the train, this is a big step in the right direction.

which is why this article was placed in the general fitness section of the forum ,

[MENTION=7877]RyanF[/MENTION]; Speaking of context, I've always questioned the term "fitness". what does it mean?.

Fitness, to me is best defined by being conditioned to do a task, whether that is a sport played to just day to day general activity, like moving the lawn, digging a hole, moving some furniture.

I think the template above is a step in the right direction, but i believe that the HIIT component would be better served if it was incorporated into the lifting bit, rather than a tag on type arrangement.

But having said that it's hard to do if done correctly and hurts like hell.

the exercise choice is excellent.

Last edited:
It's pretty good for your average person. Better than 90% of the stupid routines you see PTs putting people through. Of course it all depends on your goals, but for 15 minutes this is a good all-rounder. Maybe something I could even talk my wife into doing.

S'pose moving some shit is better than just sitting there picking your arse? :confused:

I guess most of us would baulk at it initially as most of our workouts would typically go much longer.

S'pose moving some shit is better than just sitting there picking your arse? :confused:

I guess most of us would baulk at it initially as most of our workouts would typically go much longer.

15 minutes of actual lifting is probably a lot more then most of us do in a typical 1-1.5 hr workout

@RyanF ; Speaking of context, I've always questioned the term "fitness". what does it mean?.

Fitness, to me is best defined by being conditioned to do a task, whether that is a sport played to just day to day general activity, like moving the lawn, digging a hole, moving some furniture.

I think the template above is a step in the right direction, but i believe that the HIIT component would be better served if it was incorporated into the lifting bit, rather than a tag on type arrangement.

But having said that it's hard to do if done correctly and hurts like hell.

the exercise choice is excellent.
I'd agree with that definition of fitness.
Don't knock it til you try it. Picking your arse, that is.