• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why am I piss weak?

Shorr

Hey guys,

I had to notice something: compared to most of you I am out of the "healthy balance" of the performance of the 3 lifts.

I can bench 140kg but I can only squat 160kg and dead lift 200kg (@90kg BW). It shows me that I am piss weak on the lower part of my body (as well).

Is there any figure or formula to estimate the "healthy" proportion of the 3 lifts, like "you should be able to dead lift twice as much as you bench" or something like this? You know how I mean: what part does each lift take of the total performance; it is definitely not 1/3 and 1/3 and 1/3. What would it be like then?

How much would be the "expectable" weight to squat and dead lift with 140 kg bench. I know there is no direct link between but as an "average dead lifter" proportion?

Also, how can I dead lift more? With conventional or with sumo? Or is it approximately the same? (depending on my technique, of course, I understood, but still).

I feel that my squat and my dead lift performance is humiliating :(.

Good question.

Don't be too hard on yourself. There's lots of reasons why this might be the case: experience, technique, leverages etc. Am I right in thinking you have been benching longer than you have been squatting or deadlifting?

That said, if you are not using wraps, you're proportions aren't really that out of whack at all. Just get stronger at everything.

There is no ideal proportion, as everyone will have different strengths and weaknesses in each lift depending on their experience and leverages. That said, you will see some trends from looking at the lifts of the best of the best, as in world record holders.

For raw no wraps, squat 35%, bench 25%, deadlift 40% is a general trend I've worked out from IPF classic world champs.
For raw plus wraps, it's more like squat 40%, bench 20%, deadlift 40%

Heavier lifters will tend to have squat and bench closer to deadlift. For raw plus wraps, heavier guys will often have a bigger squat than deadlift.

Novice:
Sq - 140
B - 100
DL - 180

Intermediate
Sq - 180
B - 140
DL - 220

Rough numbers.

your stats are close to that of most of the aesthetics inclined people that I know - squatting more may help, but everyone's different

Fkn hell man you got a weird definition of piss weak.

I am bloody piss weak of benching 70 kilos, Squatting about 75 and dead lifting 100 on a good day

Novice:
Sq - 140
B - 100
DL - 180

Intermediate
Sq - 180
B - 140
DL - 220

Rough numbers.

For raw no wraps, squat 35%, bench 25%, deadlift 40% is a general trend I've worked out from IPF classic world champs.
For raw plus wraps, it's more like squat 40%, bench 20%, deadlift 40%

Heavier lifters will tend to have squat and bench closer to deadlift. For raw plus wraps, heavier guys will often have a bigger squat than deadlift.

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was asking (I don't use wraps).

And yes, Bozodos, you are right, I might be "aesthetics inclined".

The bottom line is: nothing is awfully wrong here, I just need to focus on squat a bit more (well, a lot more :-D ).

Last edited:
depends on what your goals are IMO. Most people I know with those sorta lifts look pretty good apart from small legs (and calves haha).

Ey Headly... how's big red?... ay.. ay.. ay? :cool:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

I've mentioned this on the board before and a few people had never heard of it, but 300/400/500 has been thrown around for a long time as goals.

300 bench, 400 squat, 500 deadlift. Since it's a ballpark figure anyway, 3 plates 4 plates 5 plates like TTT suggested seems about right. Belt and wraps.

Of course it'll depend on the person and their natural strengths and leverages.

I've got about the worst possible build for deadlifting so my best squat and deadlift are the same.

You are not piss week.

Just chip away aiming to get 5-10 kg increases per year then in 5-10 years time you will be very strong.

I've mentioned this on the board before and a few people had never heard of it, but 300/400/500 has been thrown around for a long time as goals.

300 bench, 400 squat, 500 deadlift. Since it's a ballpark figure anyway, 3 plates 4 plates 5 plates like TTT suggested seems about right. Belt and wraps.

Of course it'll depend on the person and their natural strengths and leverages.

I've got about the worst possible build for deadlifting so my best squat and deadlift are the same.

I've heard of the ratio as 4:5:6 B: S: D but who cares anyway, everyone is different. Personally I can squat more than I deadlift.

To the OP, you are FAR from pissweak, especially if you are a physique-oriented guy. I know people who have trained for many years and don't lift those numbers.

Those numbers suggest you're not pissweak!
Everyone has different levers. A 200 squat is hard work for me but could deadlift it until the cows come home.
The main thing is, you're training.

Those numbers suggest you're not pissweak!
Everyone has different levers. A 200 squat is hard work for me but could deadlift it until the cows come home.
The main thing is, you're training.

D1cko, you are not in position to comfort me :-D

We bench around the same and you are +50kg ahead of me in both squat and dead lift. I have to discuss it with my psychiatrist again :-D

Dicko is also about 20kg heavier than you and pretty much trains as a powerlifter so probably spends more time on squats and deads than bench.

you're lifts are not pissweak.

focus on squats and deads.

All you need to set your sights on now is a 200 raw squat. The bench is already at a good foundation level.

Your deadlift will naturally grow another 20-40kg without even thinking about it. Because you will gain weight, the bench is unlikely to go backwards if you continue to train it under a maintenance program.

Pretty simple really, you only need to work on improving one lift.