• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

working holiday advice

mocha

yallo guys and merry christmas and happy end of year :)
I was thinking as this is my last year of uni, my last sem is only 2 subjects i have a lot of time to save and i might even move out for a sem just to see what it feels like to live out of home..
Anyways, after i finish uni, in the next year (2013) i was thinking of just working overseas in europe, and travelling around for a few months, doing my own thing as i never took a gap year after high school.. im dying to travel and have some freedom.
I always had the idea i could work in any country i wanted but i found on this site Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration - Working Holidays Overseas for Australians
apparently i can only work in these countries

Belgium
Germany
Netherlands
Canada
HKSAR*
Norway
Cyprus, Republic of
Ireland, Republic of
Sweden
Denmark
Italy
Taiwan
Estonia
Japan
United Kingdom
Finland
Korea, Republic of
France
Malta
Chile
Indonesia
Thailand
Malaysia
Turkey
United States of America

lol estonia?, random wtf. only good for guys after blonde hair blue eyed models

This kinda sucks as i wanted to work somewhere like Spain,before moving around because it looks like a nice fun culture, and nice warm weather, nice people, and the language is sexy.
There goes that.. ive heard of people tho working around in europe like in spain after a contiki trip, so is that illegal?

Anyone been on a working holiday?
Suggestions? Advice?
Have u worked in spain?

5053029888_314dfbd578_b1.jpg

relevant photo of where i could be

nice tramp stamp you got there :p

and legally you can only work in those countries ;)

Estonia is pretty nice. Makes sense given we can work in the other Scandinavian countries.

The most common thing is to base yourself in the UK, then take a week here and there to go visit the other European countries (this is what I was planning on doing)

Estonia is pretty nice. Makes sense given we can work in the other Scandinavian countries.

The most common thing is to base yourself in the UK, then take a week here and there to go visit the other European countries (this is what I was planning on doing)

Yeah same here i based my self in the UK on a 2 year work visa and worked in the UK and in france (for UK company) and save up and would just spend weeks/months in the other euro countries when ever i could afford too.
Getting around europe is pretty cheap with all the discount airlines (Some flights 20euro's plus taxes) easyjet, ryan air etc

Good thinking with the trip you will be happy you got to explore before starting full time work. Mexico is great and any trip through central and south America would be awesome.Good luck and save hard.

estonia isnt a scandanavian country? its eastern european..
lol what tramp stamp

My brother left March this year for London, he basically worked on the outskirts and traveled most of Europe. When you're there, it's not like here. You train ride for 2-3 hours an you're almost in another country. He's loving it. On his last leg of a busabout tour of Eastern Europe. I can understand why people travel and find it difficult to integrate into a normal 9-5 situation. At my age (26) the two groups are mainly: single, traveling (or with partners) and living it up. The others chose the safe option (engagement -> wedding -> mortgage and quite a few have kids on the way).

I'd say go for it and don't look back. Plenty of time to jump into the deferred life plan + picket fence.

My brother left March this year for London, he basically worked on the outskirts and traveled most of Europe. When you're there, it's not like here. You train ride for 2-3 hours an you're almost in another country. He's loving it. On his last leg of a busabout tour of Eastern Europe. I can understand why people travel and find it difficult to integrate into a normal 9-5 situation. At my age (26) the two groups are mainly: single, traveling (or with partners) and living it up. The others chose the safe option (engagement -> wedding -> mortgage and quite a few have kids on the way).

I'd say go for it and don't look back. Plenty of time to jump into the deferred life plan + picket fence.

thanks for the support :)
its something ive wanted to do after high school but sadly put off

Great move I reckon Mocha. This is something I wish I did at your age. I had a 6 week European holiday when I was 32, and 6 weeks again the following year in Nth America, Denmark and Japan. I took annual leave but wished I wasn't tied down to a job so I could've had several months in each location.

If I was in your shoes I'd be doing a lot of research on travel websites/forums that specialize in working holiday info.

I'd be looking to experience a few different cultures, so I'd prob base myself in London for the Euro bit, Whistler or Vancouver in Canada, whatever you feel like in US, I'd also go to Thailand for cheap lifestyle, friendly people and great beaches (Phi Phi, Phuket, Krabi etc). Plenty of other options too - Norway, Swiss Alps, Munich beer halls, Croatia and many more.

that pic is an optical illusion for males, if you stare long enough a beach slowly appears in the background.

Great move I reckon Mocha. This is something I wish I did at your age. I had a 6 week European holiday when I was 32, and 6 weeks again the following year in Nth America, Denmark and Japan. I took annual leave but wished I wasn't tied down to a job so I could've had several months in each location.

If I was in your shoes I'd be doing a lot of research on travel websites/forums that specialize in working holiday info.

I'd be looking to experience a few different cultures, so I'd prob base myself in London for the Euro bit, Whistler or Vancouver in Canada, whatever you feel like in US, I'd also go to Thailand for cheap lifestyle, friendly people and great beaches (Phi Phi, Phuket, Krabi etc). Plenty of other options too - Norway, Swiss Alps, Munich beer halls, Croatia and many more.

thanks man, yea i was thinking of doing a pub job in the uk where u get accomodation and a meal or something as well as earning some money..
thats the most common thing ive rad of doing so far
the main countries i was thinking of basing myself in to work/save up was scotland ( ancestors from there - would be cool to explore) or england (heaps of pub jobs there apparently), sweden or denmark (good pay and seems like a pretty peaceful area), OR the netherlands, italy would be nice too..and it would be great being somewhere warmer with beaches..

sooooo i have KIND of narrowed it down..
i might save south america for another trip

So you're not taking the bf?

im thinking this is gonna be an issue :S he went to europe with 2 mates and a mates gf for 2 months, tho hed planned it before we had met.. i wasnt feeling great about being left behind but i had uni on anyway.. but this travel thing is always something ive wanted to do and i kind of feel like its now or never.. ( while i have the motivation) i can plan for it and save this year.. the THING is that a working holiday is like 3+ months minimum.. i dont know how he would feel about it.. i dont think he would stop me or be mad.. i said to him maybe he could take some annual leave to join me for 2 weeks or a week, but yeah upto him.. assuming we are still together in 2013 knock on wood, its kinda tricky as he has a full time job he loves and i cant just do spontaneous young people trips with him now lol .. jealous of those couples who can

I knew a girl who went on an overseas working holiday to Australia 17 years ago and left her boyfriend behind. I married her and we've got 2 kids. You never know what may lay ahead Mocha.

i recommend you watch hostel 1, 2 and 3 before you go, they are great films about back packing/holidaying/partying. >:)

LOL @ DKD

Last edited:
I knew a girl who went on an overseas working holiday to Australia 17 years ago and left her boyfriend behind. I married her and we've got 2 kids. You never know what may lay ahead Mocha.

Not sure if importing an internet bride counts as a working holiday mate.

DONT BLOW HIS COVER!! that poor little lady sailed the 7 seas in a little put put boat powered by a whipper shipper motor

i recommend you watch hostel 1, 2 and 3 before you go, they are great films about back backing/holidaying/partying. >:)

LOL @ DKD
LOL

Not sure if importing an internet bride counts as a working holiday mate.

hahahha

nah dude, of course i worry. who knows.. i do trust my boyfriend, he has alot of self control and is very mature for his age, which i like about him alot.
i dont think he would everrr do anything to hurt me, genuinely.. as for me, i wouldnt cheat.. although i am abit more free spirited in general
it will be hard being away from him tho, physically and emotionally..weve done it for 1 month, and 2 months away.. if im away for 3 or 4 im not sure if itll be reallly bad ... i know couples who have spent a semester/ or year ( i cant remember which) away from each other at a diff uni/ on exchange... so if they can do it.. whats a few months