• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Working out after a new born.

Snoochies

Have my second child on the way next week and no doubt lack of sleep will be a factor. I am doing Tough Mudder in August again so need to keep up the strength and fitness. Problem is the extra duties to take care of.

I normally run around 4.30am but can't see that happening after sleepless nights. I have a small window to get to work and be out of work to be able to pick my son up from daycare and then doing the dad duties when I get home.

Weekends are usually the rest period but I am starting to think maybe I could fit in my big workouts on these days.

Anyway got any tips on working out with limited time?

Congrats on your new addition arriving soon.
I can't comment on training with limited time and sleep. I have one due in 8 weeks though so I will be in the same boat as yourself.

Maybe Taurus will chime in....

Congrats on taking the tough mudder challenge and all the best for your new arrival

Well I am lucky, 7mths ago we had our second, the missus moved into the daughters room on a single bed so she was closer to her when she woke at night and could feed her easy, while I would get a good nights sleep as I had to work the next day.

I also workout during my lunch break so nothing changed at all for me, I pickup my 4yo generally after work from kinder and then do dad duties after work and sometimes do dinner as well.

This may all change when the missus goes back to work later this year and also next year when the boy starts school

What do you want people to say?

Just workout when you can. Obviously nothing more to it than that.

This. It's up to you to find time. I had my first one come along 9 months ago and I gave up on trying to schedule my workouts which were usually 6pm mon, tues, fri to just training when I could which could mean training 3 days straight then nothing for a few more days. I also had to learn to train in the mornings which I actually prefer now

Have you done a tough mudder before?? If not I would try to follow a beginners half marathon training schedule. I was looking at marathon and half marathon training programs/schedules the other day and for the beginner one there really aren't a ton of miles you have to run except for one day. If I remember correctly, it was maybe a max of 5miles 1 day during the week, a 1-3 mile run 1 day, and 1 long distance day, with 3 rest days, 1 cross training day. The long distance day obviously goes up each week. This obviously depends on how competitive you want to be but if you feel like you can't get a lot of training or running in, this seems to be a great option. You can start now and do smaller runs up till say june or july and then start with adding in the longer distance runs. Cross training/weight training is big for the TM so I would suggest making sure to get in a lot of pushups, pullups, other body weight exercises, and full body weight training (like high rep low weight..nothing too crazy)

same with [MENTION=16347]BrisVegasGhost[/MENTION]; we have one due end of May.
As [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; says, when you have time, but a new born baby takes care & time, training (and your own life) may take a backseat for a few months while you help the mrs with the little one.
After our first, I was still playing rugby, so did all the team stuff, but any extras fell by the wayside for 2-3 months until sleeping & feeding patterns were sorted. Im assuming it will be the same this time around (but you never know, all kids are different)
Good luck [MENTION=12594]Snoochies[/MENTION];

Have also been contemplating this recently as we are trying for a kid...

Me : 'So you'll have the milk, and i'll be back at work after a week or two off... so...'

Mrs : 'So, what?'

Me : 'So... there isn't much reason for me to be getting up in the middle of the night getting and tired when I'm the one going back to work soon..'

Mrs : <Angry glare> ... <Moments silence>

Me : <Dithering response, attempting to dig myself out of the hole I had put myself in>

Mrs : <Un-intelligible response in anger>

... Did not end well :eek:

Thats how we do it. I sleep all night.
Train two mornings a week and two nights a week. Help out every other evening where I can.
Its actually a tonne of fun!

Tim.

Have also been contemplating this recently as we are trying for a kid...

Me : 'So you'll have the milk, and i'll be back at work after a week or two off... so...'

Mrs : 'So, what?'

Me : 'So... there isn't much reason for me to be getting up in the middle of the night getting and tired when I'm the one going back to work soon..'

Mrs : <Angry glare> ... <Moments silence>

Me : <Dithering response, attempting to dig myself out of the hole I had put myself in>

Mrs : <Un-intelligible response in anger>

... Did not end well :eek:

Talked about this with the missus. She even said to me, there isn't much point you getting up. Makes sense to me.

Too many women try and talk up how difficult they have it being at home looking after a kid. Give it a rest, staying at home all day isn't that hard. Its funny they are always up on all the day time TV shows and what's going on everyones facebook.

Except for the first couple if weeks I haven't gotten up once in the middle of the night. We both agreed I should get sleep since I'll be working.

Thanks for all the replies. We're just over a week now since bub has been born and we have a 2 hourly night feeder......snooze.
I feel alright during the day but crash early at the moment. I help the missus out by doing nappy changes then head back to bed but start work next week so like most need more sleep.

I've literally mapped out my workout schedule for the next 15 weeks leading upto Tough Mudder. I know I won't be able to complete it as planned but if it's staring at me in the face on the fridge every day hopefully it will kick me into gear. Have basically thought about doing more Tabata workouts and HIIT running with a long run on Saturdays as that's the only time I will have a chance to do long distance. Doing weights and Tabata in the evening is doable but the running I have earmarked early before work where I have to get into the city to beat the traffic and be able to leave early enough to pick up my other son from daycare. Be fun to see how it plays out. All it takes is for one big sleepless night to change things lol.

Congrats mate! Hope all goes well with you training and sleep patterns.
In a few weeks I will be going thru the same experience with my first on the way.
Cheers

Talked about this with the missus. She even said to me, there isn't much point you getting up. Makes sense to me.

Too many women try and talk up how difficult they have it being at home looking after a kid. Give it a rest, staying at home all day isn't that hard. Its funny they are always up on all the day time TV shows and what's going on everyones facebook.

Couldn't agree more, they complain about not having time to do any house duties and how hard it is yet have times for lunches with friends etc etc.... Must be sooooo tough!!!

It can be a little tough to work out after giving birth. Lack of sleep and rest can be one of your hindrance. You probably need to catch up first with some energy and family time before you start shedding weight. :)

It can be a little tough to work out after giving birth. Lack of sleep and rest can be one of your hindrance. You probably need to catch up first with some energy and family time before you start shedding weight. :)

Seriously. Useless you are the one giving birth not much happens.