• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

workout belts

Kyle Aaron

Over on startingstrength.com, some drongo reckons that if you lift with belts it'll increase your ab strength. Physiologically I can't see how unless he imagines that the belt provides some isometric resistance equivalent to pushing on walls or something.

The guy saying this is in the 75kg class and has squatted 167.5kg, deadlifted 200kg, and benched 105kg. Definitely a strong guy, good results, so I posted up some PTC pics and the link to the 45 people who lifted 200+kg without belts for comparison.

All those I've known who've trained people into heavy lifts mock belts - whether strength and conditioning coaches, PTs, or in the case of one of my PT school's teachers, a trained osteopath. Lots of people who've trained no-one or only in moderately heavy lifts say they're useful or essential.

Me, my instinct is against them, but then I have never lifted really heavy, nor (yet!) trained anyone else to do so. Thoughts?

Last edited:
His lifts are impressive, as Max weighing 70kg did a 170kg squat, 200kg deadlift and 100kg bench.

The thing is he did at 17 with no belt, and added a 112.5kg clean and a 105kg jerk.

So it just shows it can be done without a belt.

Still, cant dispute his strength.

I'm sick of arguing with people about belts. What people wear in their own gyms is no concern of mine, what they wear at PTC is.

I'm sick of arguing with people about belts. What people wear in their own gyms is no concern of mine, what they wear at PTC is.
Yep, of course. If he were just talking about his own experiences, I would say nothing except "well done!" But he's saying everyone should wear a belt. When someone starts telling the whole world what to do it's time to declare open season on them and their comments :D

Sink the boots into him then Kyle lol

Dont let him see a pic of Shorty deadlifting 212.5kg @ 70kg without a belt then, he'll have a fit, nobody should ever be allowed to do triple bodyweight deadlifts without a belt, but heres 3 examples from PTC anyway.

Dont try this at home kiddies.

12.jpg

Simon 240kg @ 79kg
5.jpg

Shorty 212.5kg @ 70kg
159.jpg

Kelly 245kg @ 82kg

My best was 5x5 @ 200kg 84kg I have never worn a belt.
Then shurgs with the same bar- 100x7
Followed by 200x 20 reps on the hammer iso leg-press
some pull then push, finished myself off with farmers walks 40's for 40 mtrsx3

I'd certainly have some people scratching their heads.

Wow, the guy is really a moron.

"You don't do as much weight, but find people stronger than you to make your point. ****ing loser."

Is the weight lifted by 45 others less weighty because it wasn't me who lifted it? I guess if I'd said I lifted more than him, he'd just say, "oh but that's just you, how do you know others..."

The more I hear from angry belt-wearers, the more I think it must just be moral support.

When I was younger and less confident I used to get quite irritated at people who in my mind didn't think the same way as me.
It tickles me now when I read posts like this, you think about arguing with some 15yo on the other side of the planet is going to make a difference about how you feel about your own training.

Dont stress Kyle, that guy is probably the strongest in his health spa, hates to think there may be stronger guys lifting without a belt.

Kong, the guy in the red shorts is Kelly, he is a member at FF Knox I think, he lives in Wantirna.

Benched 160kg @ 82kg at BATB3. Strong. 170kg squat/245kg deadlift/110kg clean/ 115kg PP from rack.

Trains at PTC on Wednesdays with Big Nick, Max and a few others. Finished 2nd at BATB3

Well, again, my problem is not with his saying belts are great for him. It's when someone says the whole world should do as they do that I raise my eyebrows and become curious.

Because after all, we all have something to learn about training, diet and so on. So I'm interested in the theory - the physiology behind it all - and the results - lifts achieved, injuries suffered, etc. And if I see them both, I can learn more, and improve both my training and that of any future clients.

I am interested in learning about training. But some blokes are only interested in turkey-slapping each-other with the little flaccid willies.

PS, in October I became the strongest guy in my "health spa" (as far as I know, apart from one PT there). I was disappointed.

Arnie's book, encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding take on belts is interesting, that studies have shownd that belts dont support the lower as much as people think.

But since there is politics in the gym industy im sure that a lot of people will say the opposite, the same manbo jumbo with wrist wraps for front squats lol.

at least you know someone with a belt is working out somewhat hard.

stop the smack down on belts, they have there place and people like wearing them, id rather they wear it, then not squat.

Things I dislike about this forum:
1) high bar squats
2) IPF hate
3) flat backed benching *shudders*
4) belt hate

How WOULDN'T a belt increase your ab strength? do your abs just magically fall asleep when you put the belt on? it simply stabilisers yours spine, as its flexation is inevitable in a fatigued multiple squat set workout.

It gets raised on this site every 5 minutes which is frustrating because its such a non issue - are we talking about a canvas squat suit which adds well over 100kg to a lift? no, how about 2m knee sleeves weaved with rubber? its a thick leather belt, its hardly a portent of a sport in decay.

And for the record, at any powerlifting fed, even 100% raw, someone would hit you if you said wearing a belt was for pussies.

No hate to the belt bashes (PTC, that dude with the uncle sam avatar) but I really dont see it as a big deal.

Last edited:
Things I dislike about this forum:
1) high bar squats
I do low-bar. Not very well, but I do it.
2) IPF hate
I am indifferent to the IPF and any other federation of lifters, bodybuilders, or whatever.
3) flat backed benching *shudders*
I keep my bum and shoulders on the bench, keeping the spine in a neutral posture, as is recommended by physios, osteopaths, etc. Sticking my bum in the air might add some kgs to my lifts, but I don't really care about the absolute number, only that it's increasing over time. Which it won't if I injure myself.

Anyway I don't bench much these days, I'm focusing on leg and back strength.
4) belt hate
And again, I am indifferent to belts in general, though the moron I've been talking to has put me off them. It's just the "everyone must do this!" that annoys me.

How WOULDN'T a belt increase your ab strength? do your abs just magically fall asleep when you put the belt on?
A belt supports you. When do we need a support? When do people wear knee, wrist or elbow straps? When that part is weak. So, we need a belt when our core is weak.

For an injury to knee, wrist or elbow, fair enough, strap up and lift. But if you have an ab or lower back injury, I would not support that and then lift, it's too dangerous - if you fck your elbow, wrist or knee you can still live day to day, screw your back and everything else is ruined.

And if it's not injury but simple weakness, why support that? Make it stronger. So I see guys with belts as like the guys who just do bench and bicep curls - they're ignoring some parts for the sake of ego. Which is fine, it's not immoral or anything. It's just funny, and I'll have a giggle.
it simply stabilisers yours spine, as its flexation is inevitable in a fatigued multiple squat set workout.
Flexion is not inevitable. When you feel yourself or are observed beginning to flex, you can just stop. Safety in training. Radical idea, I know.

In any case, a belt does not physically prevent you from spinal flexion, it just gives some pressure and prompts you to keep your lumbar arched or flat. Moral support.

Last edited:
I will be belting up soon, I'm going much deeper in my squats now and find I'm arching my back a bit probably due to poor flexability... Band aid fix FTW!

I do weighted sit ups 3x per week, my core is strong enough I thought, we'll see!

I keep my bum and shoulders on the bench, keeping the spine in a neutral posture, as is recommended by physios, osteopaths, etc. Sticking my bum in the air might add some kgs to my lifts, but I don't really care about the absolute number, only that it's increasing over time. Which it won't if I injure myself.

Anyway I don't bench much these days, I'm focusing on leg and back strength.

'sticking your bum in the air' is bridging. I'm talking about feet flat, arched back, IPF style.

And again, I am indifferent to belts in general, though the moron I've been talking to has put me off them. It's just the "everyone must do this!" that annoys me.

A belt supports you. When do we need a support? When do people wear knee, wrist or elbow straps? When that part is weak. So, we need a belt when our core is weak.

For an injury to knee, wrist or elbow, fair enough, strap up and lift. But if you have an ab or lower back injury, I would not support that and then lift, it's too dangerous - if you fck your elbow, wrist or knee you can still live day to day, screw your back and everything else is ruined.

And if it's not injury but simple weakness, why support that? Make it stronger. So I see guys with belts as like the guys who just do bench and bicep curls - they're ignoring some parts for the sake of ego. Which is fine, it's not immoral or anything. It's just funny, and I'll have a giggle.

because its not simple weakness - when you breathe out your abdominals push against the belt which stabilizers your spine and creates better force transfer. Its 100% useable strength.

Flexion is not inevitable. When you feel yourself or are observed beginning to flex, you can just stop. Safety in training. Radical idea, I know.

it is inevitable - nobody working near their physical max is going to have perfect form, particularly if they're going over 5 reps. Thats why people, particularly at westside, practise the rounded back good morning, to prepare for this fact.

I know of a kid who lifts in amazingly perfect form in IPF - he benches 75.

In any case, a belt does not physically prevent you from spinal flexion, it just gives some pressure and prompts you to keep your lumbar arched or flat. Moral support.

no

http://70sbig.com/

im a bit indifferent to belts. no one wears them at PTC but everyone wears them at Apollo, both gyms have guys of all shapes and sizes pulling big numbers. ive never worn one so i dont feel like i should comment on them, i certainly dont view them in the same way as a suit or shirt. theres a few communal belts at Apollo so i wouldnt mind giving it a go to see how it feels.

Morgan: If you are bending your back you shouldn't be doing squats at all, or at least squat when your back is straight.

As PTC pointed out in one of these threads, people with long thighs and short shins can squat all the way, Arnie couldn't do full squats but that didn't prevent him from doing squats.