• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Would you take in a refugee family for $300pw?

Would you take in a refugee family for cash?

• Yes, happy to help

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Maybe if they paid more money...

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaz

iLift
As per front paper news....

Aussies asked to take in asylum seekers, and be paid for it | thetelegraph.com.au

THE federal government will pay families up to $300 a week to temporarily house asylum seekers in their homes to help deal with the increasing flood of arrivals.

With the Immigration Department now facing a potential shortage of community housing to accommodate detainees who are being released into the community, the government has turned to householders for help.

Under a plan slated to start next month, the government will seek to access the 5000 homes registered under the privately run Australian Homestay Network (AHN) to host asylum seekers released from detention on bridging visas.

AHN was originally established to provide short-term private home accommodation and board for international students.

The organisation, which first approached the federal government with the plan last year, began writing to its national client base three weeks ago seeking applications from home owners to house asylum seekers.

The Immigration Department confirmed it would pay for security vetting and training for families which want to take up the offer.

It will also pay a weekly stipend of between $220 and $300 to families to cover food and board for detainees. Almost 1000 detainees have been released into the community over the past two months, since the government's change of policy last year to ease pressure on detention centres.

The high cost of the Community Placement Network plan is expected to be allocated from the existing detention centre funding, which will be revealed in next week's budget.

The AHN, which was set up to accommodate international students for short periods in family homes, claimed the initial period of housing for asylum seekers would be for six weeks, but could be extended.

"The Community Placement Network is an initiative designed to provide short-term accommodation (for) eligible asylum seekers while they independently source longer term sustainable accommodation in the community," AHN executive chairman David Bycroft said.

"The CPN is for people interested in assisting asylum seekers to live in the community on a bridging visa while awaiting the resolution of their immigration status. It is not for people interested in international student hosting."

The Refugee Council of Australia has backed the plan, claiming it would allow more people to be released from detention and live in the community while their applications were processed.

"Mandatory detention makes people mentally ill and is expensive," the council's CEO Paul Power said.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison slammed the plan, claiming it confirmed the government had reached the point of desperation: "Labor's decision to house adult male asylum seekers released on bridging visas in the spare rooms of Australian families is a desperate, reckless policy from a government that has lost control.

"When Australians expressed concern about rising costs of living, this was not an invitation for Julia Gillard to supplement household incomes by offering to pay the rent on your spare room or granny flat for asylum seekers.

"The fact Australian families are now being asked to house asylum seekers who have arrived illegally by boat, including those whose claims have been rejected, shows just how desperate Labor have become over their failed border protection policies which have seen almost 17,000 people now arrive on 301 boats."

A spokesman for Immigration Minister Chris Bowen, said: "This is yet another cheap shot from the Coalition, who like to demonise asylum seeker issues."

What a bloody rediculous idea, without getting into a big debate and argumement, these boats arriving illegally should be turned around and sent back, or at very least have afuelled plane waiting for them to send them home, you want to come and live in this great land you a it your turn in line and go through the proper channels and procedures, else run the risk of being sent back......

What a bloody rediculous idea, without getting into a big debate and argumement, these boats arriving illegally should be turned around and sent back, or at very least have afuelled plane waiting for them to send them home, you want to come and live in this great land you a it your turn in line and go through the proper channels and procedures, else run the risk of being sent back......

Yep pretty much this :\

This would never happen while Johnnie was in....wonder what next under this idiot Gillard

What a bloody rediculous idea, without getting into a big debate and argumement, these boats arriving illegally should be turned around and sent back, or at very least have a fuelled plane waiting for them to send them home, you want to come and live in this great land you a it your turn in line and go through the proper channels and procedures, else run the risk of being sent back......

Agree

I wouldn't put someone in my home I didn't know regardless of where they come from, how much I get paid for it, or whether they have had a rough life or not.

FFS, if I was gonna do that sort of shit, I would start with the homeless of Australia first......not the homeless of somewhere else in the world. Wouldn't it be nice to see the Government spend 300 bucks a week housing our homeless kids and shit, down and out actual Australians.
This Government is fucked up soooooo bad, it's beyond a joke now.

Last edited:
Well.... If I just bought a house and was living by myself.... I probably would, covers a fair amount of the mortgage interest...

A fucked up idea though lol....
Well done shitty government, another brilliant idea.... Can't wait to see what the expected cost of this will be...

Fuck i hate politicians...

They'd be unemployed and sitting in your house all day everyday!
What happens when you don't want them anymore?

Knowing the screwed up laws of this great country the illegals will probably take you to court and you will be the one who ends up homeless on the street while they enjoy your newly built house you worked so hard to save a deposit for

Well if you get a whole family, you've hit the jackpot really.

Chef
Lawn care
Nanny
Housekeeper

And the government will pay YOU $300 a week to have all that??

My home is open! :)

Was thinking that Bella, but they would probably come with a rule book that protects them from everything. Next you know you have a Taj Mahal in your backyard and the whole extended family has moved in.

lol
Nahhh I was only kidding.

Alot of these refugees are fleeing from civil war, or death. I feel we need to do something to assist those that really need refugee status or assylum...but the balance is hard to strike I guess?

We want to be humane & just & help. But we're in this ridiculous situation now, we're Aussie families are being enticed with $1200 a month, to house refugees?

And then what happens? They spend years assimilating to the Australian way of life & we send them home?

It all just seems a bit of a waste of resources & money & puts a strain on communities & families now.

The shit does indeed always filter down though :mad:Bloody politicians!

Labor is on its way out, for better or worse....

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

#CashMoneyBitches!

Its a pretty fucked up situation....

make it easy, must speak English and if your not a doctor/lawyer/scientist/engineer/tradie/wiling to clean toilets GTFO

Most of them should be rich though... aren't those boat rides like 10k? and they should be educated...

brb ignoring skills shortage, and letting lazy/stupid ****s in....

Is that $300 a pop or per family??? If per family how big is the family???

I was thinking it was $300 per refugee:confused::confused:

Damn, I spend whole the day decking the garage out with bunk beds from St Vinnies, I figured I could fit 10-15 in there, then feed them 2 minute Noodles from Aldi and of course drink tap water.

I figure they should be able to work 12-15 hours per day making fake Nike and Everlast hoodies and man bags that I can sell at Bankstown Markets on the week end.....I will be rich I tell RICH:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But unfortunately in reality our Country and Government is a laughing stock of other countries, this is embarrassing on an international level.

And it raises so many questions, what if they steal from you?? What if they take your shit and disappear while you are at work?? Are they going to roaming round your house sitting on the lounge watching TV while you go out and work to pay tax and then you get back $300?? Will they have criminal history checks just to ask a few:cool:

A genuine refugee is someone who flee's their country of origin into the NEAREST nation that provides sanctuary - not someone who flies to Indonesia on a commercial flight, and then upon arrival destroys their documentation prior to embarking on a short boat trip to Australia. However it is policies like these that encourage asylum seekers (not genuine refugees as per definition), which is resulting in these problems we are having now.

This government needs a complete shake up and re vamp with brand new guidelines and policies, this is a very bad and unfunny joke:mad:

Last edited: