• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WPI vs WPC (taste-wise)

McKwl

Overloaded Member
What's the difference?

I only just tried WPC for the first time the other day (the first time I've tried any kind of "supplement", actually), and it's a pretty strong taste. Tastes like cow, lol. Or maybe powdered milk, a bit. Not the best, anyway.

Is WPI much different? Stronger/weaker/other?

And what would be the best kind of flavour to add, if you wanted to?

WPC is much sweeter than WPI, which has a weaker flavour to it.

I personally like strawberry the best. Banana aint bad either. Bulk Nutrients is the supplier I prefer.

It could just be due to the difference in flavours, but I tend to prefer WPI. The flavours of WPC that I tried I found were a lot sweeter, in fact to the point where I had to water it down with ice cubes. WPI has a more 'smooth' taste, in my opinion.

Prefer the taste of WPI as well.

Buy Bulk Nutrients or No Bull Supplements, I use both at different times.:)

Well, I'm getting used to it anyway. Besides, chucked some chocolate (powder form) in there, and hey, pretty tasty! :cool:

Guess I'll figure out what works best in a while. Thanks for the advice though - I'll keep it in mind.

That said, might try WPI next time. :D

I have found, that with terrible tasting chocolate protein powders, I chuck in a spoon of cocoa. Otherwise I stick to what I know.

I'm drinking a straight, no name, WPI right now and I'm actually finiding it pretty good - flavoured only with a sprinkle of cinnamon each time, mixed with milk.

Good.

Do you guys actually drink protein shakes for their taste?

Shouldnt the real question be drinkability.

Whether or not chucking down a protein shake will force you to chuck it back up.

Do you guys actually drink protein shakes for their taste?

Shouldnt the real question be drinkability.

Whether or not chucking down a protein shake will force you to chuck it back up.

Not to stop you in your tracks here, Dreadlift, but the REAL question for protein powders SHOULD be the overall protein % you are getting versus price.

Maximum protein content with little filling to make up as much of the 90% WPI was intended to be.

The lower that 90% mark goes down, it should reflect price wise.

This is '101 shopping' for protein powder in what can be a shady industry. Taste is always going to be better in a powder that gets lower and lower in overall percentage protein because what is taking over are all the things like flavouring, sugars and thickeners to turn it closer to a Macca's thick shake.

One has to decide what they want. Be paying for 'taste,' regardless if they are getting ripped off protein percentage wise, or tick off their list first in their shopping that it has maximum protein (as close to as unflavoured pure Whey can get) and then also have flavour to match.

A quick look at any nutritional labels in the 100g column listing under 'Protein' and also in the ingredients, will tell you the real quality of a product.

There shouldn't be any noticeable taste difference between the two mate, assuming the same flavouring ingredients are used. The texture of WPI and WPC is also very similar, but different to products like hydrolised-WPI or caseinate

I only just tried WPC for the first time the other day (the first time I've tried any kind of "supplement", actually), and it's a pretty strong taste. Tastes like cow, lol. Or maybe powdered milk, a bit. Not the best, anyway.
Is WPI much different? Stronger/weaker/other?
whey protein IS (refined) powdered milk :D

think of difference between WPI and WPC as light/skim vs full fat milk. they both taste like milk but different. just like milk, different brands can taste quite different too.
WPI can taste less sweet/fatty (less lactose? and fat) and is my preferred.

I disagree that flavour is "better" as protein % goes down (for WPI/WPC) but I do like the plain taste (except for the ones with Sucralose :( that's just wrong)

need extra flavour? add milo or cocoa or honey or strawberries or bananas... (heck, even a spoon of Gatorade :p don't knock it till you've tried it )

Not to stop you in your tracks here, Dreadlift, but the REAL question for protein powders SHOULD be the overall protein % you are getting versus price.

Maximum protein content with little filling to make up as much of the 90% WPI was intended to be.

The lower that 90% mark goes down, it should reflect price wise.

This is '101 shopping' for protein powder in what can be a shady industry. Taste is always going to be better in a powder that gets lower and lower in overall percentage protein because what is taking over are all the things like flavouring, sugars and thickeners to turn it closer to a Macca's thick shake.

One has to decide what they want. Be paying for 'taste,' regardless if they are getting ripped off protein percentage wise, or tick off their list first in their shopping that it has maximum protein (as close to as unflavoured pure Whey can get) and then also have flavour to match.

A quick look at any nutritional labels in the 100g column listing under 'Protein' and also in the ingredients, will tell you the real quality of a product.

Actually, I thought an even more important question was....do you even need protein powder's full stop?

Actually, I thought an even more important question was....do you even need protein powder's full stop?
Not if you can meet your target daily protein/amino acid requirements from whole foods alone. So the next question is, can you meet your daily protein intake target from whole foods alone?

1.5 grams pro per kilogram bodyweight? Without even trying. Plenty of whole foods out there to do that.

Either way, I go to the gym to get stronger. Nothing else. I've never found an increase - or decrease - in carbs/protein/fat having any bearing on what I lift.

Of course if you own a supplement company, real food isn't ever enough right!

some people couldn't be bothered (or don't have time) cooking and eating half a kg of meat every single day :)

Of course if you own a supplement company, real food isn't ever enough right!

What this guy said. vvvvvvv

some people couldn't be bothered (or don't have time) cooking and eating half a kg of meat every single day :)

Occasionally, I'll fall short on my protein macros (what I personally want to eat) for a given day - and instead of heading to the fridge for 100gm of chicken after dinner, it might be easier to have a shake.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a friend who drink (and luckily for him and his pocket, none are proprietary blends) a pre-workout, a post workout and two protein shakes during the day. Then a casein before bed. Some multi-vitamins in the morning. Occasionally a scoop of protein powder in his breakfast. And another three or four multi-vitamins/tabs during the day. There can be such a thing as too much. Especially when he is trying to bulk, and wasting a lot of his calories on excessive protein and unnecessary processed vitamins.

There is a limit to consuming shakes, vitamins, etc etc. But a lot of people DO need them (or want them). It makes sticking to a clean diet a helluva lot easier for those people who can't be buggered to give 100% all the time. Which, let's face it, is most of us.

Don't be facetious, just accept that something not working for you isn't a proof of it not working for anyone.