• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

1 week off and my body implodes....

MathewK

I wanted other's thoughts and whether anyone has experienced the above? Additionally, and more importantly highlighting cues to look out for, for prevention that I may have overlooked initially.

I am/was 6 weeks into a strength training routine (Stronglifts 5x5) after a long absence of a regular routine. I quickly got stronger and added on the poundage, when I noticed my body's energy levels in recreational activities taking a severe dive- however I was still lifting heavier with each session (every 2nd day) with weekends off. Additionally, I also noticed that during the last week of working out I had to take some 'power naps' in the afternoons (say 10mins).

I then decided on a week off for recovery. Well I the next day a cough developed, this turned into a fever and 3 days off work (of which I have never done before, well for that length of time). I am now on antibiotics and when the course is finished it will equal almost a 2 week break.

Has anybody else experienced this before and to this extent? Before I started to get physically sick I had already made up my mind to adjust my routine to include less linear progression and more recovery. Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
MK,

If you're noticing a decrease in energy levels it could have been you were not taking in enough food to balance your increase in energy expenditure. If your intake wasn't right you've been wearing yourself further and further down. When you're worn out the body can be more susceptible to colds.

Badluck I think. If you still can make linear gains i would do so, and look to increase your food intake

Best of luck

MK,

If you're noticing a decrease in energy levels it could have been you were not taking in enough food to balance your increase in energy expenditure.

Good point. In that same week I did consume less calories ie I believe on some days I went down to 3000, whereas the previous week I was 3500. The reasons for the caloric reduction were a few ie 1. at the time I was feeling bloated and thought my intake was too great?? And 2. on my original diet calculator planner I overstated my activity levels outside of my workouts ie 2 extra hours, I therefore saw it to be logical to re-calculate. However my strength training could indeed be burning up more energy than an arbitrary diet calculator??

Last edited:
Just a coincidence.

I am thinking this.....

Don't see how eating 3000 or 3500 Cal's a week when only lifting for a 4 or 5 week period would be enough to break you imune system down that much to cause a cold or flu or whatever you have.

I am thinking this.....

Don't see how eating 3000 or 3500 Cal's a week when only lifting for a 4 or 5 week period would be enough to break you imune system down that much to cause a cold or flu or whatever you have.

Healthy people get sick all the time. Its common, being winter now its even more common.

Likely scenario is OP just got sick, like millions of people do every winter and now trying to link it to other factors after its happened.

I wouldn't discount this as just being sick, especially after starting a strength program.

5 x 5 training, Sheiko / Smolov 5/3/1 anything strength based will have a big tax on your CNS if you aren't used to the volume of training. You definitely need to eat and recover well during these programs, even then they will knock you for six.

If you're serious about gaining strength, I wouldn't bother trying any other sport during this time, all your body wants to do after squatting and deadlifting multiple times per week is rest!

Your either getting sick or just feeling the tiredness from training.
As must said above, get used to feeling tired and sore, it's what this training does, takes the piss.
Rest for 5 days and see the difference in energy levels.

Last edited:
Your either getting sick or just feeling the tiredness from training.
As must said above, get used to feeling tired and sore, it's what this training does, takes the piss.
Rest for 5 days and see the difference in energy levels.

Had a virus. Just finished a course of antibiotics. Back training tomorrow.