• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

1970's Powerlifters

What do you think changed?

Im not sure, but I don't think it would be just one aspect.

The way they applied work ethic could be key?

Has the "workou"t changed over the years?
Are modern day power lifters spending too much time on the three lifts?
Are they spending too much time in the gym?

all I've got are questions.

The best are still just as strong as they were in the 70s
There are just more shitty lifters because for some reason people today like to "compete" for "fun" like it's the fucking Boston marathon or a tough mudder. I don't see why people compete if they don't have a good chance of winning, personally. I've always been one to do meets where I have a good chance of placing and not embarrassing myself. I'd like to see more meets with qualifying totals, especially nationals. At the moment all you need to do is compete once and you qualify for nationals. So you have really long, massive flights which can potentially stop people from performing at their very best. This happened to Fuzzy at a CAPO meet once

The best are still just as strong as they were in the 70s
There are just more shitty lifters because for some reason people today like to "compete" for "fun" like it's the fucking Boston marathon or a tough mudder. I don't see why people compete if they don't have a good chance of winning, personally. I've always been one to do meets where I have a good chance of placing and not embarrassing myself. I'd like to see more meets with qualifying totals, especially nationals. At the moment all you need to do is compete once and you qualify for nationals. So you have really long, massive flights which can potentially stop people from performing at their very best. This happened to Fuzzy at a CAPO meet once

How do you know if you might win or not without competing? What a dickhead statement. Comparing it to tough mudder or a marathon is stupid too. I've done 4 tough mudders well knowing I wasnt going to win any. But each time ive gotten 30-40 mins closer to my goal time.

Each time someone competes in a comp they take something from it and use it as a learning curve to then do better at the next. Very few people do anything straight off the bat and win.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

"The best are still just as strong as they were in the 70s"

interdasting comment.

"The best" is what I'm referring to, even with a larger pool of blokes there is still records unbroken.

its sort of confirms my own beliefs that some people ("the best") are the best not because of a certain template followed.

those few, just get strong real quick.

How do you know if you might win or not without competing? What a dickhead statement. Comparing it to tough mudder or a marathon is stupid too. I've done 4 tough mudders well knowing I wasnt going to win any. But each time ive gotten 30-40 mins closer to my goal time.

Each time someone competes in a comp they take something from it and use it as a learning curve to then do better at the next. Very few people do anything straight off the bat and win.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

If you competed in powerlifting you'd know if you stood a good chance of winning or not. Just look at who won last time and what there total was. Competing in powerlifting just to "put up some numbers" is a dickhead move because you're getting in the way of the real lifters. It's not like a tough mudder where you're not in anyones way. If you want to mess around and compete just fucking because, stick to the meets for novices and improvers like I did when I first started.

Gooby I agree with you. If you look at the wrapless totals people are really not getting that much stronger at all. A few kg here and there. If you removed monolifts I doubt there would be much difference. Most of the records are from the 70s simply because that was the inception of powerlifting

What's even more amazing is that there a lot more dudes powerlifting now compared to the 70's
the dudes in the 70's where using, but a lot less compared to now

I don't think this is right.

Firstly, the 70s raw records aren't comparable to what the best guys were doing from the late 80s to early 00s, because there was no raw lifting at the elite level during that era. The strongest guys of that era outside of the US, eg Fedorenko etc were doing amazing things equipped. We just don't know how strong they might have been raw in comparison to the 70s, because there was no comparison. Many of the strongest guys in the US and UK were doing multiply lifting, where comparisons were even more ridiculous.

Looking past the equipped era...

It is only in the past 3 years really that powerlifting has taken off, largely off the back of 2 big factors: 1) raw lifting - the equipment understandably put people off and made the sport less accessible for a long time; 2) CrossFit - of the back of which olympic weightlifting and powerlifting have both been beneficiaries. For the most part, powerlifting was no bigger in 2000 than it was in 1975.

It will take a few years for this Renaissance to take effect, but we are already seeing many of the old time raw records fall in the past few years. In Australia, there is so much talent coming through in every federation, it is ridiculous. If it was 10 years ago, most of these guys would have been doing insane lifting in the gym in relative obscurity.

Finally, more people were taking PEDs in the 70s than now. There was absolutely no social/moral issue with PED use in the 70s and right up until the mid 80s. Lots of people still use obviously, but there are a lot more drug free lifters. Guys like Mike T, Blaine, Ray Williams, are all going to surpass the 70s guys.

Oh...and human physiology has obviously not changed in 40 years.

Is Oni the only Powerlifter on this forum or are the rest too intimidated by his presence to post?

If you competed in powerlifting you'd know if you stood a good chance of winning or not. Just look at who won last time and what there total was. Competing in powerlifting just to "put up some numbers" is a dickhead move because you're getting in the way of the real lifters. It's not like a tough mudder where you're not in anyones way. If you want to mess around and compete just fucking because, stick to the meets for novices and improvers like I did when I first started.

Gooby I agree with you. If you look at the wrapless totals people are really not getting that much stronger at all. A few kg here and there. If you removed monolifts I doubt there would be much difference. Most of the records are from the 70s simply because that was the inception of powerlifting

A dickhead move??...If only the people had a chance of winning, entered comps, only 3 or 4 would compete and it'd be a worse sport than it already is...I get the feeling PTC and GPC are trying to change this by encouraging everyone to have a go...I've been asked by Dan Rucci seversl times when I'm going to compete...
I have no fucking chance of winning a comp at my weight, but I'm gonna just because...I enjoy it.

Last edited:
By all means compete in a competition appropriate for your skill level.

Yeah man. GPC nationals is just the right meet for you. Fuck the perfectly good Wild West Shootout that Dan puts on every year. Fuck the state level competition or the novice meets. Go straight for nationals. Why the fuck not.

"Competing in powerlifting just to "put up some numbers" is a dickhead move because you're getting in the way of the real lifters"

Hilarious. Someone has to fill in the flight so that you can actually rest between attempts, or do you plan on doing your 3 deadlift attempts consecutively?

Thankfully, this is the only time I have ever encountered this attitude anywhere in powerlifting. The real real lifters are happy to share the platform with everyone and actively support them in the process.

I've got no chance of winning even the WWS...I guess I can't go in that one :(

My main issue is with people cramming up the bigger meets. I'd like to see more qualifying totals, that's for sure.

"Competing in powerlifting just to "put up some numbers" is a dickhead move because you're getting in the way of the real lifters"

Hilarious. Someone has to fill in the flight so that you can actually rest between attempts, or do you plan on doing your 3 deadlift attempts consecutively?

Thankfully, this is the only time I have ever encountered this attitude anywhere in powerlifting. The real real lifters are happy to share the platform with everyone and actively support them in the process.

ProRaw seems to do alright out of it. So does RUM and any worlds-level meet

In Proraw there are 200-400kg differentials between 1st and last position and only a handful competing in each class. It's much less competitive than GPC.
IPF worlds has the deepest field of competition and even there you get a few local competitors in 20th place, just like Ernie the Eel at the Commonwealth Games. The exception is probably Battle of Champions.

That said, qualifying totals are good IMO. PA just lifted it from B grade to A grade for open. With more competition and the competitive standard lifting, you can afford to do it. The average differential between 1st and last place in each weight class was around 100kg with 6-8 athletes in each class. It worked very well.

I think people are confusing what I am saying here. There is a difference between being competitive and doing something just to "put up some numbers"

Ridiculous argument Oni.

If I thought I could be competitive in the top 3 in my weight class I'd need to add another 150ish kg to my total. (28%)

Some people just like to set PB's and DGAF about medals.

You would also only have enhanced lifters competing in untested feds if everyone thought the way you do.

Didn't you play footy last year Oni. I think its a safe bet for someone who didn't grow up playing footy you were just making up the numbers.