• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

28Yrs & 57kg...Can't gain weight - HELP!

lol at calculators and iphone applications..

far out...
I like the internet.. but sometimes I want to ban people off it.

lol at your lol, they are very handy for people who THINK they are eating enough calories every day. Its a reality check for those lucky skinny bastards.

You can always use a log your cals with pencil and paper and an abacus but life can be easier if you the embrace the god of technology.

Brother - Eat, Eat and then eat a little more... Then eat some more :) Repeat the next day.

Calorie dense foods will be your best mate - get plenty of fiber to help keep shit moving.... Literally

I have been anorexic (16bmi) and super morbidly obese (57bmi)

Gaining weight is much much easier and more fun than losing weight

Lift heavy
Eat well over maintenance calories
Eat plenty of protein/carbs/EFA's
Much easier to drink your calories (drink 3-4 shakes a day + meals)

I have been anorexic (16bmi) and super morbidly obese (57bmi)

Gaining weight is much much easier and more fun than losing weight

Lift heavy
Eat well over maintenance calories
Eat plenty of protein/carbs/EFA's
Much easier to drink your calories (drink 3-4 shakes a day + meals)
not sure about that Jamesmeboy. As a former "hardgainer" who went from 187cm 68kg to 187cm and 95kg I can tell you its fuckin hard to gain weight if you are the type of person who is active and likes to be active.

I didn't start putting on a lot of weight until I was sitting at a desk all day. For some people its torture to limit your daily activity so you are recovering and not burning all your calories on other activities you enjoy. Losing weight is easy for hard gainers.

Like most others have said; at least 3 big arse meals per day plus protein shakes etc or even GOMAD (though I found it irritated my immune system). Non of this cereal shit in the morning, have a real meal.
Train compounds 3-4 days per week (is all I've really ever done).
Lots of rest.

Bumped into this dude I knew as a hard nut previously, hadn't seen him for a few years, not a mate or anything. Last time I saw him he was 5'10 barely, 75 kilos. Saw him last week and he woulda been 95 kg jacked as fuck, arms bros kill for. I said to him "you've bulked up man". He said "yeah been in jail for awhile".

i can understand where the op is coming from also being 28 and only a couple of kg's heavier.
everyone is right in saying eat more. witch is what i'm trying to do but clean and healthy witch can be a bit hard the main reason being is that I've already been under the knife and had heart surgery and both my parents have also. that's why i'm trying to get it right to start with.

the main 3 meals are easy enough for me but i'm wondering what you guys snack on at smokeo that good for you filling and healthy and quick to prepare and eat?

Keep things as simple as possible:

Training - compound movements with rep range between 4-8 reps per set. I.E full body 3 day per week program.

Nutrition - start off consuming 30-32cals per kg of bodyweight. Protein (minimum intake of) 2g per kg of bodyweight, fat (minimum intake of) 0.7g per kg of bodyweight. Rest of calories can be made up from carbohydrates.

Follow that for 3 weeks. Track your training progress and bodyweight (if possible get a full body composition test done) and if progress is slow I.E training performance has not increased (weights should have increased by 2-3%) and body-weight has not increased (should have increased by 0.5kg per week) you need may need to then increase calories by 10%. Repeat in 3 weeks time.

thanks for the advice
I've got the training part sorted
now with the nutrition part I'm really a newbie here are there any websites that explain it really simply for dummies ?

Keep things as simple as possible:

Training - compound movements with rep range between 4-8 reps per set. I.E full body 3 day per week program.

Nutrition - start off consuming 30-32cals per kg of bodyweight. Protein (minimum intake of) 2g per kg of bodyweight, fat (minimum intake of) 0.7g per kg of bodyweight. Rest of calories can be made up from carbohydrates.

Follow that for 3 weeks. Track your training progress and bodyweight (if possible get a full body composition test done) and if progress is slow I.E training performance has not increased (weights should have increased by 2-3%) and body-weight has not increased (should have increased by 0.5kg per week) you need may need to then increase calories by 10%. Repeat in 3 weeks time.

Way too complex, this guys weighs 57kg, he just needs to eat shitloads.

Lots of milk, rice, chicken, tuna potato, eggs blah blah.

weetbix & full cream milk for breakfast with toast & a coffee
shake at morning tea with an apple and handful of almonds
lunch = steak and rice, tuna & rice, chicken and rice. on alternative days have steam fresh veges instead of rice
afternoon snack = shake, banana/apple/mandarin, almonds
dinner = meat & veg. Dont be afraid to have a bowl of ice-cream as dessert either. Its under rated!!
before bed = shake

I would be using full cream milk in the two shakes during the day and just water at night. Shake post workout with as much stuff as you can blend in. Bananas, berrys, yogurt, creatine, plus the protein powder.

lunch = steak and rice, tuna & rice, chicken and rice. on alternative days have steam fresh veges instead of rice
dinner = meat & veg. Dont be afraid to have a bowl of ice-cream as dessert either. Its under rated!!
before bed = shake

I would be using full cream milk in the two shakes during the day and just water at night. Shake post workout with as much stuff as you can blend in. Bananas, berrys, yogurt, creatine, plus the protein powder.

Good diet... easy to follow and dense...

Wish I had the luxury of being able to scoff ice-cream these days! :eek:

before bed = shake

Taurus is right mate - you need to eat up big time.
A gainer can only help so much - no cardio until you reach your goal weight just interval train once a week if need be.
Start hitting the weights and downing some massive food and exactly do the full cream milk - it will take time but be patient and commit to it.

thanks again for the advice guy's and gal's i'm starting to eat heaps hitting up the weights and also doing a bit of cardio (for heart reasons).
i'm not looking to put on heaps of weight just mainly add some meat to my bones and gain some strength