• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5/3/1 boring but big questions

Which city are you in? Doesnt say in your profile.
Sydney, I thought it did I should update it

Since you can't do squats at the moment I think leg press is a fine substitute if you can do them.

I'm also not the biggest fan off 531. The extremely slow progression is very boring and too slow for beginners. Also it just didn't work well for me when I did it.

How was the increase in strength? Should this be used later on when gains aren't as easy to get compared to starting out?

Dammit, I didn't beat Scott the 5/3/1 hater here... :p

Look up the 5/3/1 Beginner template. Far better for beginner lifters.

I spent around 2 years on 5/3/1, right up until my last comp last year. It worked great for me from the start (except for deads - I don't deadlift for AMRAP EVER) and as I became more experienced at the program I made my adaptations to fit my training better. I still use my peaking cycle on other lifters at my gym. Having said that I ran it for over a year as written by the Man himself (Praise the WENDLER).

I spent around 2 years on 5/3/1, right up until my last comp last year. It worked great for me from the start (except for deads - I don't deadlift for AMRAP EVER) and as I became more experienced at the program I made my adaptations to fit my training better. I still use my peaking cycle on other lifters at my gym. Having said that I ran it for over a year as written by the Man himself (Praise the WENDLER).
Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers should someone be lifting before contemplating 5/3/1 (and maybe similar programs)?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers should someone be lifting before contemplating 5/3/1 (and maybe similar programs)?

That's a pretty hard to answer question without knowing a person's bodyweight and experience. I don't deal in generic numbers.

I'd suggest that prior to starting the 5/3/1 Full-body/Beginner cycle you'd spend at least a few weeks running something similar to the PTC Beginner program to develop some kind of motor skills so that you can handle AMRAP lifting safely. Beginner to intermediate lifters will get better results using the full-body template. Advanced intermediate should use the original template and run as is at least for a while until they have a better grasp of the periodisation. Advanced lifters can do what the fuck they want with the program. If you have to ask if you're advanced then you're not.

Me advanced? Ha! :p

Just wondering. In case 5/3/1 is for me, I weigh about 85kg (haven't checked for a while), and my best lifts so far have been 8x75 Bench (yep, it sucks), 8x76 Pendlay Row, 5x112.5 Squat, 5x160 Deadlift, and 5x60 strict OHP. About 6 months, give or take, of partly half-assed self-taught training, with some mucking around before that for a few months (machines, mainly).

Probably should just stick with a (beginner's) linear progression program, I guess. But it never hurts to ask.

Sydney, I thought it did I should update it

How was the increase in strength? Should this be used later on when gains aren't as easy to get compared to starting out?

I would have to go through my journal for exact figures but from memory i followed the BBB template as written and I think I ended up weaker after 8 months. In saying that if I tried it again I think I could get the program to work with my own tweaks this time but it would end up very different to the standard 531.

Last edited:
I am having a crack at it again, squats and deads went ok last time but bench sucked, so will not combine bench and mil press days together and add in more bench assistance work, have read through the book and figured out where I went wrong last time.

It seems with the BBB most people are having the best results not doing the main lifts assistance on the same day, even though I believe they will all help each other, ie Squat day do dead assistance etc, don't over complicate it or try and break records with assistance, but as quoted "its not a licence to be a pussy."

Freako, if I remember correctly from your logs ages ago, your thoughts on the BBB were different from how they were written in the program such as 3 x 10 instead of 5 x 10, also did you add in the massive amounts of chins/pullups as written? One point I picked up yesterday that I missed first time through was for every push move do 2 pulls or thereabouts.

Freako, if I remember correctly from your logs ages ago, your thoughts on the BBB were different from how they were written in the program such as 3 x 10 instead of 5 x 10, also did you add in the massive amounts of chins/pullups as written? One point I picked up yesterday that I missed first time through was for every push move do 2 pulls or thereabouts.

I sometimes varied my assistance but the core of it was 5x10. Sometimes I did 5 sets AMRAP, sometimes I went for a heavy 5x5, sometimes I went for widowmaker sets but the essence was the same, I did buttloads of heavy assistance work.

I also did bulk chins. I didn't always super set them with pushing movements but I would aim for 50-100 a day.

I alsooften varied my assistance lifts for pressing, subbing in CG press, floor press, etc in place of more presses. For squats and bench I always squatted and benched.

Me advanced? Ha! :p

Just wondering. In case 5/3/1 is for me, I weigh about 85kg (haven't checked for a while), and my best lifts so far have been 8x75 Bench (yep, it sucks), 8x76 Pendlay Row, 5x112.5 Squat, 5x160 Deadlift, and 5x60 strict OHP. About 6 months, give or take, of partly half-assed self-taught training, with some mucking around before that for a few months (machines, mainly).

Probably should just stick with a (beginner's) linear progression program, I guess. But it never hurts to ask.

You seem strong enough to use the full-body template IMO, I think it would serve you better than the 4 day split.

I sometimes varied my assistance but the core of it was 5x10. Sometimes I did 5 sets AMRAP, sometimes I went for a heavy 5x5, sometimes I went for widowmaker sets but the essence was the same, I did buttloads of heavy assistance work.

I also did bulk chins. I didn't always super set them with pushing movements but I would aim for 50-100 a day.

I alsooften varied my assistance lifts for pressing, subbing in CG press, floor press, etc in place of more presses. For squats and bench I always squatted and benched.

Awesome stuff. Man the first few weeks are fukin light compared the 5 x 5. As long and deads and squats go up slowly as they have been with 5 x 5 I will be chuffed. I will add weight to the assistance as I go, I have been there and done the 50 reps chins per day for a bit just for shits and giggles and to prove to myself I could do it, and enjoyed it, any tips to stop the elbow aches they come with it though?

Awesome stuff. Man the first few weeks are fukin light compared the 5 x 5. As long and deads and squats go up slowly as they have been with 5 x 5 I will be chuffed. I will add weight to the assistance as I go, I have been there and done the 50 reps chins per day for a bit just for shits and giggles and to prove to myself I could do it, and enjoyed it, any tips to stop the elbow aches they come with it though?

Never had elbow ache from chins. Try a different grip?

Some advice for squats. Squat twice a week, possibly after or in place of deadlift reps. This is Wendler approved.

Never had elbow ache from chins. Try a different grip?

Some advice for squats. Squat twice a week, possibly after or in place of deadlift reps. This is Wendler approved.

Absolutely, I have found squatting twice a week to work well with 5 x 5/3, will definitely do them after deads as BBB or even do a few heavy sets at the end of the week after bench. Farkin 10 reps is gonna kill me :D

Have you tried really wide stance squatting?
I'm not saying it's a fix for the pain you get but it would be interesting to see if you got the same pain shitting the weight moreso onto the hips than the knees

Have you tried really wide stance squatting?
I'm not saying it's a fix for the pain you get but it would be interesting to see if you got the same pain shitting the weight moreso onto the hips than the knees
I dunno, mate - if you're shitting 200kg, I'd look at changing your diet more than your lifts. :eek: