• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

531 discussion - maximal strength suffering?

Chisholm

Hello people,
I've been lurking for a few months now and figured it was time to say hi and get involved. I spent a few years doing mostly generic unstructured bb'ing type training, but about 6 months ago got quite interested in PLing.

Did my first comp couple of months ago at PTC Sydney, totalling 427.5@77kg - 135/100/192.5

Stats/PBs:
78kg@~12% bodyfat 5"11"
DL - 192.5kg
Oly SQ - 140kg
Paused BP - 100kg

Spent a few months doing mainly just instinctively doing compounds for triples, with focus on developing speed and technique, got great gains off that. Now on my 9th week on what is essentially 5/3/1 Triumvirate.

And here comes the question. On 531 I'm regularly setting new rep PBs in the say 75-85% range, which suggests development/hypertrophy is occurring. However, on the odd occasion I handle maximal weights, say 85%+, I seem feel either slower and weaker than I should, or breaking even. Now, my rationale/hope is I'm simply getting de-conditioned in handling near-maximal weights on 531, where it's generally much more reps at lower % range than I was previously used to. But my rep PBs/strength will eventually translate to higher maximal strength when I focus on that again.

Thoughts/experiences? Searching old threads, I know a couple of guys here with decent lifts have done 531. How did that affect your maximal strength?

Other relevant info: Basically I lift like a PL'er and eat like a bb'er. In the long run I wish to do well in PLing, however I also believe in being lean to stay in lower weight classes, be healthy and look good for the bitches and bros. I'm small framed/lanky 5"11, seem to be naturally good at DL and shithouse at BP. I use intermittent fasting, do a fair bit of my training fasted and am pretty much constantly in a state of re-composition or 'lean bulk'. My macro breakdown is typically ~%50 protein and the rest in carbs andd mostly good fats that fluctuate as convenient.

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
In my experience (maybe i go after a different type of woman...) ... talking like this counteracts the best 6 pack ever in terms of success with women...

That wasn't intended as a serious comment, nor is this thread about strategy in attracting women :)

Last edited:
You can easily run basic 5/3/1 in the off season the flip to the PL template about 2 months out and get some more time under maximal loading. I would always turn to heavy triples, doubles and singles about 6 weeks out when I ran 5/3/1.

You can easily run basic 5/3/1 in the off season the flip to the PL template about 2 months out and get some more time under maximal loading. I would always turn to heavy triples, doubles and singles about 6 weeks out when I ran 5/3/1.

This is what I was planning/hoping would be the way to go, thanks for the response:)