• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5rep routine for mass, good or bad?

fqqs

been training: ~2 lata
weight: 75
height: 175
priority: hypertrophy

mon:

squat 4x5
bb row 4x5
bb curl 3x8
1 leg calf raise 3x20

tue:

bench 4x5
incline db 4x5
skullcrushers 3x8
weighted crunches 3x20

thu:

Deadlift 4x5
pullups 4xMax
bb curls 3x8
1 leg calf raise 3x20

Fri:

bench press 4x5
military press 4x5
dips 3x8
hanging leg raise (all the way to the bar) 3x20

what do you think about that? before main lifts 2 warmup sets: 50%x8 i 75%x5

Plent of mass can be attained using 5 reps. It depends on your intensity and other contributing factors like diet.

Why have you gone for high-rep abdominal work? I'd do more warm ups as well, you need plenty of volume above 60% of you 1RM for hypertrophy. You should be getting between 90-120 total reps a week at 60% or above for major muscle groups

Last edited:
I don't know a ton about gaining just mass, but I know is that I have gained a fair bit of muscle from just doing heavy 1-5 reps sets with the odd higher rep sets.

5rep routine for mass, good or bad?

Hi,

If you're after an easy black and white type of an answer than please stop reading now!

Now, 5 reps are good for what 5 reps are good for. Doesn't answer your question does it! Let's see, had your body had only one type of muscle fibre, a type that only repsonds well to 5 reps, then and only then would I be able to comfortably and confidently give you a resounding YES! a 5 rep routine for muscle mass would be great. But, that is not what your body is comprised of but rather, it's comprised of few different muscle types, each with its unique features, responding differently to different stimulus (training).

For an extension to my reply, please take a look over here if you will: Fadi on Bodybuilding

Fadi.

since now i've done higher reps routines (>8) and got miserable effects recently. so i think about switching to lower reps

so maybe i will incorporate both higher and lower reps?

mon:

squat 4x5, 1x12
bb row 4x5, 1x12
bb curl 3x8
1 leg calf raise 3x20

tue:

bench 4x5, 1x12
incline db 4x5, 1x12
skullcrushers 3x8
weighted crunches 3x20

thu:

Deadlift 4x5
pullups 5xMax
bb curls 3x8
1 leg calf raise 3x20

Fri:

bench press 4x5, 1x12
military press 4x5, 1x12
dips 3x8
hanging leg raise (all the way to the bar) 3xMax

what do you think about that?

Seems good, you could even change the 1x12 exercise to something else once every 3 weeks to secure constant progression. For example DB bench instead of bench and leg press instead of squat

Doing 4x5 bench, 1x12 bench, 4x5 db incline then 1x12 db incline twice a week may be bordering on over training though, unless you ramp up the weights on 4x5 db incline instead of 4 straight sets

ok thanks, ive also found this workout:

Monday

Squat 3 x 5
Hamstring Curls 3 x 10
Barbell or Dumbbell Row 4 x 6
Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Tuesday

Bench Press 3 x 5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Military or Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10 (haning leg riase?, x Max ?)

Thursday

Deadlift 3 x 5
Leg press or Lunges 3 x 10 (maybe front squats here???)
Chin ups or lat pull-down 4 x 6
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Friday

Chest Dips 3 x 8
Dumbbell or Machine Flyes 3 x 10
Arnold Presses 3 x 8
Close Grip Bench Press (for Triis) 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10 (weighted crunch?, x20)

looks nice for me. what do you think?

Last edited:
or even lower volume:

Monday
Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5
Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
Bent Row or Chest Supported row 4 x 6
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Wednesday
Bench Press or low board press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10

Friday
Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5
Leg press 2 x 10
Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday
Incline bench press or Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10 Monday

Seems good, you could even change the 1x12 exercise to something else once every 3 weeks to secure constant progression. For example DB bench instead of bench and leg press instead of squat

Doing 4x5 bench, 1x12 bench, 4x5 db incline then 1x12 db incline twice a week may be bordering on over training though, unless you ramp up the weights on 4x5 db incline instead of 4 straight sets

Oni, seriously you don't need to change every 3 weeks. This is just bodybuilding bro science, keeping the muscle guessing. Pick a rep range and stick with it for a while. Mixing it up all the time is the perfect recipe to stay weak and small.

And 10 sets a week on bench overtraining. More crap, the overtraining boogyman. Most people couldnt train hard enough to overtrain even if they tried to.

anyone please?

Jus pick a rep range and stick with it for a decent amount of time. Work hard to be increasing the weight your using and you will see results.

Dont overcomplicate it. If you like high reps do them. If you like low reps do that.

Oni, seriously you don't need to change every 3 weeks. This is just bodybuilding bro science, keeping the muscle guessing. Pick a rep range and stick with it for a while. Mixing it up all the time is the perfect recipe to stay weak and small.

And 10 sets a week on bench overtraining. More crap, the overtraining boogyman. Most people couldnt train hard enough to overtrain even if they tried to.

Better do your research on "The Borg Principle" then. Or let me guess "poliquin is a broscientist"

Better do your research on "The Borg Principle" then. Or let me guess "poliquin is a broscientist"
Poliquin used to have heaps of good info. Now days he is king bro scientist. Hes in it for the money these days with all his supps and bio signature crap.

Fuck the Borg principle at 65kgs you should be sticking to the basics. Squat bench dead chins and lots of food.

Apply the K.I.S.S method to training.

There are two types of muscular hypertrophy: sarcoplasmic (8-12 reps) and myofibrillar (2-5 reps).

Your each muscle should be worked for a total of 40-60 repetitions a workout to stimulate maximum hypertrophy. Just use a combination of both forms of Hypertrophy to make up the total number of sets for your workout. :)

Summed up in very few words, "...work HARDER, but very briefly – and infrequently."

It should be clearly understood that "style of performance" of an exercise – almost ANY exercise – is of utmost importance; and I would like to add that I seldom encountered a weight-trainee who performed any of his exercises in a proper style. Performed in a proper manner, a total of only eight basic conventional exercises are capable of producing almost any degree of possible results –and far more quickly than most people would believe; these exercises are;
(1) standing presses with a barbell or with heavy dumbbells,
(2) full squats,
(3) stiff-legged deadlifts,
(4) heavy barbell curls,
(5) regular-grip chinning,
(6) parallel dips,
(7) barbell wrist-curls,
(8) one-legged calf raises. But in practice, most trainees avoid most of the above listed exercise – or attempt to replace them with other, "easier" movements which they hope will provide the same degree of results; probably because they are simply not willing to work as hard as they should for the production of best results.

There are another twenty exercises that can be added over a three year period that will stimulate unbelievable results for any trainee.

I have not seen one person do stiff-legged deadliest properly, you will know when this most important exercise is done correctly because you will literally not be able to bend over the next day.
I enjoy teaching this exercise and seeing the look on people's faces when they realize how it's done.

Im surprised no ones dropped the

a deep knee bend
a push
a pull
put something over head

kyle aaron re-encarnated