• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

a little help please?

Tyrone B.

hey guys, havent been on here for quite some time, however i have still been hard at it.

i was a pretty healthy 75-76kg, in the best shape of my life and about to go overseas until the 7th of november.....

i had a pretty severe motorbike accident (i was hit by a car); broke all three bones in my leg, mangled up my calf pretty bad, broke the tip of my ring finger, broke my collarbone, broke a rib and punctured a lung.

after 5 hours leg surgery in my home town i was put into an induced coma, flown to melbourne and put in the icu; they woke me up the next day at lunchtime. i had another 5 hours leg surgery at the royal melbourne hospital, 4 hours plastic surgery and spent two weeks or so in bed.

im out of there now and still in rehab (ive been here around 3 weeks and should be off home next week). ive got a great big skin graft on my calf and a couple of titanium rods in my leg. doctors have said i should make a full recovery, which is great news.....except ive lost 13kg!!!!

im down to around the 63kg mark now and though theres nothing i can do about it for the moment, im pretty keen to get back to where i was and beyond. i have an orthopedic review on the 21st of dec where hopefully they let me weight bear on my collarbone, which will fingers crossed allow me back in the gym for some upper body work at least. wont be doing any squats for the better part of a couple of months i'd say.

the good news is i now have about six months off and am getting paid for it, which means i wont have anything better to do than hit the gym and stick to a pretty good diet.....which is what brings me here today.

i need to plan myself a bulking diet of somewhere between 3000-3500 calories. now im aware i should get back to around where i was reasonably quickly thanks to muscle memory, but my goal is to break the 80kg mark.

i dont expect someone to just do it all for me, but a little help would be much appreciated. im pretty busy in here with physio, occupational therapy, doctor visits, surgery reviews etc....

a few stats :

im 5'8
~63kg

best lifts - squat 130kg, deadlift 185kg, bench 75kg for reps (never tried a max)

ive got plenty of protein powder (a couple of mates bought me a box each as a present), both regular wpc and mass gainer.

here's a bit of a rough draft of what i have so far :

breakfast
max's mass gainer shake + 500ml milk - 716cal 50g protein 105g carbs
tablespoon peanut butter - 121cal

lunch
200g chicken - 248cal 45g protein
100g rice - 258cal 57g carbs
tablespoon olive oil - 159cal

post workout
maxs superwhey shake + water - 191cal ~25g protein

tea
minced beef - 266cal 30g protein
1 cup sweet potato - 230cal 50g carbs
tablespoon olive oil - 159cal

before bed
max's mass gainer shake + 500ml milk - 716cal 50g protein 105g carbs
tablespoon peanut butter - 121cal

thats about 3170 calories, 200g protein, 315g carbs and i forgot to tally the fats!

Unreal story mate. And as Shrek mentioned, I wish you all the best for your recovery!

But that diet is below average IMO.

For one, you are 63kgs, you in no way need that many calories (3170). That will put you in a massive surplus and lead to a great deal of fat gain.

And secondly, you will deficient in micronutrients with limited variety of food types and low intake of veggies.

Start off at 35calories/kg of bodyweight and go from their. Ensure you protein intake is minimum 2g/kg bodyweight and fats 0.85g/kg bodyweight. Rest of the calories can be from carbs if you wish or a mixture of macronutrients, it just comes down to personal preference and requirements for exercise performance.

Get rid of that 'weight-gainer' and use the WPC while getting more calories in from food sources and increase the veggies. Acquire more steak, chicken, eggs, nuts and veggies as like mentioned, your micronutrient is poor and especially in your position they become a much higher priority :)

thanks for the reply mate, thats exactly what i was looking for. excuse the poor diet, its been quite a while since i drew one up, and i was basing the 3200 calories off my previous weight :p

so 35x63 = 2200 cal.

looks like i can scrap the mass gain shake before bed. ill still keep the one in the morning cause im not a real big breakfast eater and i find it much easier to throw down a shake.

breakfast
max's mass gainer shake + 500ml milk - 716cal 50g protein 105g carbs 20g fat

lunch
150g chicken - 248cal 45g protein 5g fat
100g rice - 258cal 57g carbs
1 cup mixed veggies

post workout
maxs superwhey shake + water - 191cal ~25g protein

tea
150g minced beef - 266cal 30g protein 11g fat
1 cup sweet potato - 230cal 50g carbs
1 cup mixed veggies

before bed
1 banana - 100cal
25g almonds - 154cal 14g fat

not sure if frozen mixed veggies are much good! that equals around 2150cal, 150g protein, 210g carbs, 50g fat.

is that any better?

Meal frequency and timing are irrelevant for body composition or performance.

Meal name and time should not determine food choice or need for food.

Just consume what you need by the days end. How you do it is of personally preference.

That 715 calories you consume for 'breakfast' could be made up of and from some eggs or meat, veggies, bread and chocolate :)

Meal frequency and timing are irrelevant for body composition or performance.

Meal name and time should not determine food choice or need for food.

Just consume what you need by the days end. How you do it is of personally preference.

That 715 calories you consume for 'breakfast' could be made up of and from some eggs or meat, veggies, bread and chocolate :)

You forgot ice cream. Breakfast of champions.

May be make the mass gainer shake smaller (half serve), and have some food as well, might as well use it since you already have it.:)

Good luck mate... Look forward to hearing you progress and your fast recovery....

Use the max gainer cause you have it... But never buy it...

The WPC is more then adequate...

However it looks to me that Max is suggesting eating real food instead of whey because your calorie intake requirements are low... So you should be able to easily achieve these using real food only...

Sounds like good advice to me...

Cheers...

yeah mate thats definitely sound advice and i can appreciate that.

i have maybe 6kg of mass gainer and 4kg or so of wpc. perhaps ill save the mass gainer till after ive put a bit of weight back on.

Save the mass gainer for when you are training heavy.....not while recovering from injury, as you want to avoid gaining fat.

only reason i'd have one first thing in the morning is cause, as i said, im not a huge eater first thing and i find it infinitely easier to have a liquid breakfast.

shouldnt be too hard to get back into the 70's somewhere, but pushing beyond about 75kg has proved tough in the past; although my diet was definitely lacking.

how much do you charge a brother to write up a diet Max? :)

sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but ive been curious about something.

you say it doesn't really matter when you eat what, and that the 'meal' shouldn't really dictate what you eat or when.

does that mean if I worked out all the stuff to make up the amount of calories needed, and attacked it throughout the day, so long as it was gone by the end i've done all i've needed to do?

ps recovery is going great so far, i'm allowed to put full weight on the leg, which means walking!

got some pretty gruesome pics if anyone is keen.

Post the PICS!

And yeh its fine to eat whenever you want as long as its all gone by end of day. So eat 2 or 3 or 6 or whatever many meals you like. As long as you hit your goal cals for the day your fine.

Fwaaaark mate, wowzuz that is a bloody break and a half :eek:

Well hope your recovery is swift and strong mate
Good luck
Graeme