• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Abs/Core

piecone

Hi All,

I began doing crunches at the start of each workout (knowing I'd be less enthused doing them after workout). I soon developed symptoms of piriformis syndrome (where the piriformis muscle irritates the sciatic nerve) which I put down to combining crunches with Leg Press, Squat and Deadlifts.

So I stopped the crunches, pain gone.

But I want to include an ab exercise to balance my core as the lower back will get strong from deadlifts and be disproportionately stronger than abs.

Any suggestions for a single exercise (& maybe an alternate for variety) I can do for ab/core strength? I've heard the 'camel' might be the go?

Ask someone to punch you in the guts; 3 sets of twenty.

The ab crunch is not a bad exercise.
The leg press is not a bad exercise
Squatting using the smith machine is not a bad exercise.
If done correctly and you understand what the exercise is for.

Crunches with a dumbbell done once a week is sufficient to stimulate the musculature one set....two maximum.

Be clear on why you are doing this fucking exercise every workout.

To the ghost of Kyle Aaron I'd like to apologise.

Most ab exercises in any form aren't that useful - they involve flexation, an isolation movement which pretty much never occurs naturally and pisses off most people's backs.

Just focus on building your squat and deadlift beltless, your abs will be fine.

It takes a real man to admit he was wrong Oli, I should know, being wrong so often haha
Single arm o/h DB press is one of Markos' favourites for 'core' strength
The more uncommon squat variations (namely zercher, overhead and front) hit the core muscles harder than back squats so that may be something to take into consideration

Planks,
Overhead squats,
Turkish get ups,
Leg raises,
Battle ropes,
I like using a barbell with circular weights on as a ab roller too.

Crunches aint a bad excersise, all have merit and in my opinion and experiance those who say you dont need to do ab movements to get a 6/8 pack usaully dont have a very good mid section.

To the ghost of Kyle Aaron I'd like to apologise.

Most ab exercises in any form aren't that useful - they involve flexation, an isolation movement which pretty much never occurs naturally and pisses off most people's backs.

Just focus on building your squat and deadlift beltless, your abs will be fine.

Opinions will vary.

Over the years, I've found all types of exercise using a barbell, dumb bell or machine has value.
After 30 years of spending time in the gym you will appreciate this.

Ask someone to punch you in the guts; 3 sets of twenty.

The ab crunch is not a bad exercise.
The leg press is not a bad exercise
Squatting using the smith machine is not a bad exercise.
If done correctly and you understand what the exercise is for.

Crunches with a dumbbell done once a week is sufficient to stimulate the musculature one set....two maximum.

Be clear on why you are doing this fucking exercise every workout.

I wasn't saying that any of the exercises were bad, but that in that combination, seem to give me lower back issues. None of them in isolation cause any problems. I was looking for an exercise that didn't engage the hip flexors as much. Doing some ab work 3 times a week didn't seem outrageous.
From the other responses, I have enough to go on.

If you don't want to engage the hip flexors then you can't go past the prone bridge and its many variations.

I'm generally in Oli's boat though. Unless you're genuinely weak through the core then odds are you don't need any direct work