• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AC Strain and Cortisone

ride29er

Confused Kunce
Hey Guys approx 8-9 weeks ago I woke up after wrestling training with a sore shoulder, nothing out of the ordinary happened at training that I can recall although it is a pretty rough class, anyway I trained through it as I had a fight coming up, but it did bring my upperbody weights to almost a complete halt, the only weights I could do was deadlifts and squats, it was very painful bench pressing a 20kg bar, anyway my fight got cancelled so I took 2 weeks off training and loaded up on anti inflammatory's, very slight improvement but after one very light training session i was back to square one, so up until yesterday i have just dealt with it and trained around it, ive tryed pushing through the pain, babying it, resting it, doesnt seem to get better, So yesterday i went to my GP he said i had a AC tear and sent me away for X-rays and a ultrasound and ultrasound guided cortisone injection and wow, whatever they put in with the cortisone completely got rid of all pain for aprox 4 hours, which was great, but as the doc said the cortisone takes aprox 24-48hrs to start working , so the pain did get worse before it got better, but now(24 hours after injection) the pain has prob quartered and im hopeing over the next few days it goes away. has anyone else had this done that could please share there experience, also when should I resume benchpressing? I will keep updating on how progress goes over the next few days,

Benching is the worst thing you can do. Cortisone reduces inflamation to give the injury a chance to heal. Let it do it's thing just cause you feel fine does not mean anything is fixed. Trust me I have been on the merry go round for years with my back injury.

Hope it comes good brother shoulders are prick to heal.

yeah it sucks 8 weeks and no sign of improvment at all:(, I stopped going to the gym completely for a while, it was depressing going in and not being able to do much, now ive been back for 2 weeks(quit my sooking) and have been doing deadlifts and squats, no point winging about what i cant do, may as well push what I can,

I had a shoulder impingement had a shot tried to lift afterwards wouldn't get any better. Ended up taking 3 whole months off no lifting at all. Size just fell off me. It was 4 months before I staryed benching again. 18 months later now back in the swing of it but very very careful not to push my luck.

Fuck I shudder when I see guys benching without warming up or stretching. If only they knew how bad it fucks you up.

Just take some time off last thing you want is for that shit to get chronic

Edit, get the shots a coupla times a year in my back so although I don't know the technical shit about them I have had a fair bit of first hand experience. Fucking falling apart lol

Last edited:
yeah ill take it easy for a bit, 1.5 days after the shot and 80% of the pain gone, remarkable stuff, first full night sleep without waking up because ive rolled on my shoulder and i took my shirt off pain free this morning, love it, ill def take your advise ill stick to DL and Squats for a while longer then slowly eas into the weights,

so far the cortisone has done the trick, just started light upper body weights this week, I might look into that in the future

so far the cortisone has done the trick, just started light upper body weights this week, I might look into that in the future

Really good to hear the cortisone has done the trick, hope it doesn't flare up again, as i heard cortisone injections are a little painful.

Background
I had really bad shoulder impingement that wouldn't go away. Physio and GP said i should try ultrasound guided cortisone injection cause nothing was working. The size of the needle scared the s*&t out of me and i dogged it.

2 weeks Peptide cycle, impingement completely gone and hasn't come back.

Really good to hear the cortisone has done the trick, hope it doesn't flare up again, as i heard cortisone injections are a little painful.

Background
I had really bad shoulder impingement that wouldn't go away. Physio and GP said i should try ultrasound guided cortisone injection cause nothing was working. The size of the needle scared the s*&t out of me and i dogged it.

2 weeks Peptide cycle, impingement completely gone and hasn't come back.

I had the ultra sound guided needle, didnt hurt at all, there was a heap of pressure but no pain

No good Mitch :(

Mine was ac joint seperation initially (physio for 4 months and slowly upping bench weight), then I went too hard ONE time and then I had bursitus (got cortisone shot then which helped recovery over the next month or so) and now I have degenerative arthiritus (additional bone growth near AC joint). But they said no actual tears.

As physio's will say DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT HURTS! I've found that for me I can still do all pulling exercises fine (chins, rows, front levers etc) but pushing I HAVE to use a nuetral grip. So I've slowly worked up from very light db's and can now push close to 40kg dbs again which is close to my pre injury max. However if I get "out of the groove" I know about it.

My cortisone needle wasn't ultrasound guided I don't think but didn't hurt at all or at any time after? Unsure if it's the same as yours?

Can you do any pulling exercises? And it's pretty weird that you don't recall anything at training aggravating it if it is a tear being that that would be an acute injury not something that's gotten worse over time with use generally.

After almost 10 month since I strained my AC join, it is finally coming good, I tryed pushing through it, 2 weeks off training weights, cortisone, but in the end in the best cure is rest, I haven't lifted a weight in over 3 month now, well I put 40kg on the bench the other day but could feel a small discomfort so I stopped, yes it sucks, but not being able to put on a seatbelt or remove my own t-shirt is far worse, I will get back into the weights but not until it feels good, so anyone going through a similar thing, I would recommend cortisone, but when on it rest up and let your body heal, and dont push it until the cortisone has worn off and you can feel whats going on,