• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

adding life to old equipment

Light Weight

I've recently bought an old school Gold's Gym power rack (it's pretty bad arsed!), a couple of standard bars and weights. They've been left out in the weather and have some surface rust on them.

What is the best way to clean the rust off? and What paint is suitable to repaint them with?

Thanks.

Wire brush on a 4 inch angle grinder to clean it all up then paint in flat black primer for that bad arse look. If you don't wanna buy a grinder use. Rust converter and a hand held wire brush.

Depending on how bad the rust is, I use a rust converter/primer. That's what I used when I done my old plates up.

I will post pics when I start the project.

I actually originally purchased it as it was extremely cheap and I could make money from it but now I might keep it for my future plans for a pt studio as I know how hard old school equipment is to find.
It will look good next to my Powertec cage ;)

Some before and after shots of my newest rack... Old school Gold's Gym.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 40
You could also use gun-blue on the bare metal to seal it,once the rust has been removed

I used a wire brush to get the flaking rust off, then used White Knight Rust Guard (it prevents further rusting and primes it for painting) and now I'm waiting until Saturday to paint it.
Any suggestions on colours? I'm thinking hammer tone grey for the rack, black for the plates, safeties and chin up bar and I'm painting the barbells pink.

Sounds colorful, I just use good old Matt black

I wanted the rack hammer tone as it has that old school "I've had a hard life" look to it. The barbells are getting painted pink as hopefully my gf will actually do some squats then as it wont look intimidating ;) (and I wont be using the bars anyway, I have a Texas PL bar and a Hercules WL bar).

Good stuff!
Sorry I jumped in late here...

I've purchased a few machines, rusty machines with rusty plates?
The best product by far is ranex.
Bondall - Ranex Rustbuster
You don't need under coat, you just paint over it, it's brilliant.

I will eventually re-paint my equipment, my colors will be black frame red upholstery.

cb64f125-7b3f-fb05.jpg

cb64f125-7b68-c0ba.jpg

Thats awesome Andy! You have SO much great equipment :)

And I know quite a few of the lads will benefit from your ranex tip, terrific!

Amazing! lol Next time I'm in Melbourne, I'm going to hit the 'Little Hammer Shed' for a workout ;)

lol