• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice On Gear

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
So basically I'm turning to the darkside and looking at getting belt, wraps, shirt, sq suit, dl suit for my upcoming birthday and xmas.
Both as a raw training overload tool and also as I'd like to do an equipped comp at some point. Pretty sure I would want single ply(?) and probably something basic (if that's the right term).
Overall I'm after:
-brand comparison between metal, inzer and titan including quality, reliability and price
-recommended models/makes within said brands for someone with long arms, small chest, medium grip and little arch on bench, 'athletic'/narrow(ish) squat stance, and I will be pulling sumo equipped (raw conv)
-advice on sizing. as most know I'm pretty much a stick in the 75s (currently 70kg) but would like, at some point, to get up around 80 (if not higher). am i best to buy for my size now? or just a teeny bit bigger, grow into it, then buy again in a year or so's time if need be?

In my honest opinion, its to early.
You need to get your raw strength up much higher before going to equipment.

Learning to use PL gear is quite difficult, and doesn't really work as an overload tool, such as a suit for raw squats. The technique is completely different, so doesnt really have a carry over.

Id get a belt (inzer forever leaver) wrist wraps, and knee wraps. Thats all.

Just my opinion though, somebody may have a different one.

I was thinking more CNS than muscular overload but you make a fair point.

My biggest concern is actually that I wouldn't be able to complete any equipped lifts due to lack of weight lol

LOL.

I had played with the idea of using equipment in training, but came to the conclusion that there would be little to no benefit.

Well tbh long term I see myself as an equipped only PLer, but still planning on doing oddlift comps Fun In The Sun etc.
This may or may not have something to do with my slightly ADD personality wanting to train Westside lol . . .

An advantage I have is that my bench lockout is strong (best bench = 77.5, with 30kg chains it's 60x3), and I can high box squat an extremely significantly larger amount than comp squat (110 vs 160x3 the other day, anything above my sticking point I'm looking at +20 minimum). Plus I like the fact that I can overcome my lack of strength skills with gear skilllz :p

DW I'll always prefer my numbers to be functional to real life when I'm not walking around in a bench shirt or squat suit lol

Hopefully it will be an improvement on my attempt with a slingshot :p
I'm not going to lie, I will be wearing them under normal clothes in commercial gyms at some point lol

If you want to become an accomplished equipped lifter you will have to change your personality Graham - an ADD approach to training with equipment is a recipe for disaster and a great way to empty your wallet

If you want to become an accomplished equipped lifter you will have to change your personality Graham - an ADD approach to training with equipment is a recipe for disaster and a great way to empty your wallet
+1 technique with equipment needs to be prefect... if it isnt, you get nothing from the equipment

Much much more time under the bar before you even contemplate equipment grah. A belt is of no consequence, but leave the other shit for later.

Also, go metal, cause that's what my sponsor sells :p

How long u been training? The sooner u get into gear the better but in saying this
U don't want it too tight single ply I'd go 1 or 2 sizes bigger gear is a lot of fun
Beats raw any day I use the titan deadlift suit.
What city u train in?

How long u been training? The sooner u get into gear the better but in saying this
U don't want it too tight single ply I'd go 1 or 2 sizes bigger gear is a lot of fun
Beats raw any day I use the titan deadlift suit.
What city u train in?

I agree with this. If you really want to compete in gear why waste time, start as soon as possible. Your raw strength with still increase.

Sumo - If I can find another hobby or a training buddy I'll be all good. Hobby will keep me occupied, and training buddy can keep me in line.
TS - I've been squatting and deadlifting probably 11 months now (benching a little longer like most people lol)? Only really taken an interest in PLing since just before Easter though, and just the one comp (CAPO qualifier in Frankston that you and Matt went to). I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Closest PL clubs I think are in/around the city.