• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on my squat form

kindred

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ-LtMWnc8k]YouTube - 15.10.2010 squats (80kg)[/ame]

Is this ok? If it is I will increase my squat weight to 80kg.

Not 100% sure, but maybe drop your hips more if you can, but it's below parallel. And it looks like your upper body is leaning too far forward when your coming out of the hole...but I'm probably way off.

You need to look up mate, and try and keep your core nice and tight. so you dont fold on the way back up.

Other than that, much better trhan the last vid mate.
Keep it up.

IMO

1. Start squat with hips not knees and sit back into it, keep pushig your ass back.
2. You need hip drive on the way up, currently its more like a good morning.
3. Cant really tell in video, but unrack with solid abdominals, breath in and hold, squeeze your shoulder blades together and squat. Breath out at the top.
4. Be proud, stick your chest out and look up a notch.

Thats what I think, your almost there, just sit back and be strong.

You need to look up mate

I usually wont pipe in for minor points but thats really bad advice.

Rippetoe said:
Looking up at the ceiling when squatting has so many detrimental effects on proper technique that some law against it will eventually have to be adopted. It is the enemy of correct bottom position, hip drive out of the bottom, and correct chest position, the three most important factors in a safe, correct squat. This bizarre neck position is inherently unsafe anyway. To place the cervical spine in extreme hyperextension and then to place a heavy weight on the trapezius muscles directly underneath it is, at best, imprudent.

Try this: assume a good deep bottom position as described earlier, with knees out, toes out, and heels down. Put the chin slightly down and look at a point on the floor five or six feet in front of you. Now drive your hips
up out of the bottom, and make note of how this feels. Now do the same thing while attempting to look at the ceiling (fig. 2-25). You will discover an amazing thing — that chin-down (looking down keeps the chin down) with the neck in a normal anatomical position enables your hip drive. And it helps you keep your chest up, so that your upper back is in the normal anatomical position for the thoracic spine under load. Correct chest position is an important factor in placing the lumbar spine in the correctly extended, slightly arched position. Correct lumbar position is essential for full utilization of the hamstrings and glutes out of the bottom, because when they are stretched more completely they can contract more completely and generate more power over a longer range. So bad neck position sets up a series of bad positions that greatly diminishes the safety and effectiveness of the squat.

I tell my lifters to look straight ahead. The body follows the eyes, I dont like them looking down.

Interestingly Armando always told lifters to fix there gaze on something straight ahead as well when he was training people at PTC.

I've been told to look up, and never ever let my eyes look below shoulder height.
This came from a PL, I was just passing on what I've been told, and what has helped me.
I also never said to look at the roof like your quote is talking about oli, I just said up. To me I looks like kindred is looking at the skirting board the whole time.

When Im standing, In a space like kindreds, I'd pick something about 100mm higher than eye level and stare at it the whole time I squat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I usually wont pipe in for minor points but thats really bad advice.

Thats the advice I followed years ago off another forum (look forward above head height) in relation to deadlifts. That was followed by a hyperextended neck, several pain killers, physio and time off work.

It only helps balance. Neck should be in line with back. Since getting that advice - no problems. Might not be as important with squats because I guess you are unlikely to have as much effort exerted by your back muscles...

Last edited:
Thats the advice I followed years ago off another forum (look forward above head height) in relation to deadlifts. That was followed by a hyperextended neck, several pain killers, physio and time off work.

It only helps balance. Neck should be in line with back. Since getting that advice - no problems. Might not be as important with squats because I guess you are unlikely to have as much effort exerted by your back muscles...

Yes, it's quite simple isn't it, maintain your backs natural curvature, this includes the position of the skull as it is attached the the spine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1. Set up under the bar, if I had a million dollars I would bet on you being loose as you walked it out. You simply didn't give yourself any time to set up.

2. Weight through the heels, at the bottom your rock forward on to your toes. If those are running shoes you are wearing I doubt they are helping things.

3. Push your knees out, think of them occupying the space where your torso will be and get em out of the way.