• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on some strength training

ernie9

Hey all,

been around for a while and have done lots of research on different training routines but would like some advice from the long time guys and girls from here.

So a little on me and what i want;

27 Year old male
167cm
73kg

I also have cystic fibrosis which i have mentioned before.

So a week a go i started doing Ripptoes Starting Strength and i am loving it. So far in a week my lifts are;

Squats - 55kg
Bench - 47.5kg
Deads - 45kg
Military Press - 40kg
Rows - 40kg

I am also doing two days of Cardio due to the CF. My lung fucntion sits at 63% so cardio is a great way to keep healthy and try and raise that as much as possible.

I know that my strength training will result in slower gain but i feel that the carido is a must.

Sooo this comes to my question for you. Is ripptoes plan appropriate for what i am doing or is there a better routine out there that i can do (like the beginner strength stated by PTC but instead of 3x8 can i stick to the 3x5? Along with pull ups). Im really enjoying lifting the weights. So please any advice is good advice.x

Current routine;

Monday - Strength
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Strength
Thursday - Run
Friday - Strength
Saturday - rest
Sunday - rest

by the way...this is the equipment i have;

Power rack
7ft Olympic bar
200kg in weights
olympic dumbells

Hi mate, I believe any decent program will work for you. The equipment you have is ample.

I love starting strength, the natural progression is usually once you stop progressing (have stalled multiple times) move onto something where you are not doing all three big lifts every workout. PTC states in his thread 140/100/180 is the benchmark from beginner to intermediate.

I reckon they are good numbers and starting strength and the like will get you there no probs. The start looking at other things like

5/3/1 4 days a week a lift and assistance each day
5x5 broken up like bench+squat, dead, bench+squat
or whatever other strength programme tickles your fancy.

By that stage you'll have nutted out what works for you.

I like to keep up a high pace when I do my training as cardio
I don't like running so I always make sure I am lifting hard and pouring with sweat when I finish.

If you find that your running is impacting you can always try this. The more often you train the more improvements you'll see also so doing more training sessions a week is an option

Nice one mate.

I loved Starting Strength, great program that taught me a heap, and most importantly improved my lifts.

Have also done 531 which is my all time favourite program!

I am like 0ni, I hate running (I am prone to some time on the spin bike though). I like to keep the workouts really moving to get the HR going. I also like to finish with a few minutes of conditioning work, focussing mainly on plyometric exercises.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

thanks guys, great advice and im glad to hear that i am on the right track. I must admit although the lifts may not seem heavy they feel it at the moment and all i can say is that i am loving every gain i get each lift.

Yeah i actually am enjoying the running...work is stressful so it gives me a chance to clear the head and enjoy the Scenery. Tuesdays i am doing more of a long walk/run at the moment and on thursdays i am doing interval training.

I will keep you all up to date. :)